Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Netflix and Apple TV+ are my favorite streaming services. Sad to see HBO’s transformation to Max, though there are still some good shows that haven’t been canceled yet. Disney+ rarely has anything new that I want to watch. Netflix’s price still is pretty cheap, the price of 1 or 2 movie tickets per month for premium.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
It’s kind of fair enough, really. Sharing your account with potentially dozens of other households is kinda fraudulent in a sense. But Netflix, I imagine, allowed it to continue because it raised the profile, awareness and engagement with their content. The question now is probably: how many of these new subscribers will cancel when they realise that permanently haemorrhaging money in return for endlessly scrolling through mostly terrible content in search of a gem isn’t a great idea.

macnomad

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Cheshire, UK
I’m “completely satisfied” that I cancelled Netflix when they started doing this. I’m also “completely satisfied” that I cancelled Disney when they went super woke. I now buy Blu-ray films, rip them to my NAS and then sell the Blu-ray on. Getting films for £5 equivalent, best quality and have them forever. Happy days.

Reactions: karranz

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Of course the CEO is going to say he is satisfied, because the password clampdown has created a massive increase in revenue for Netflix which in turn means the licensee's of the programs they show get more money. Program owners are not going to hand over their programs to a loss making streaming service because the owners will want to make sure they get a return on their programs being shown thus the Netflix CEO HAS to say the company is doing good so it can keep the program owners happy.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
cordcutting survey showed half would pay if they had to stop torrenting.

Many academic studies - going all the way back to CD sales and Napster - have shown that blocking torrents only leads to a very small increase in sales/revenue.

As for that cordcutting survey, the survey did not distinguish between paying for content if you can’t torrent and paying for the content you torrent if you can’t torrent (ie. A person who torrents content from Disney+ and Netflix might be willing to pay for a Disney+ subscription, but not be willing to pay for a Netflix subscription if they can’t torrent - or maybe they will subscribe to neither and just go buy DVDs if they can’t torrent). In short being willing to pay for content is not the same as being willing to pay for the same content you are willing to download.

It is also worth remembering that they only surveyed 1) US residence and 2) US residence over the age of 18. US residence are only a small, small, small fraction of torrent users. A significant portion of torrent users are also minors (or college students).

The survey was also worded in a way to discount people who do pay for content, but also torrent the same content (which can be more convenient to watch under some circumstances).

So while that “half” of survey respondents might be true, that “half” is a tiny fraction of actual lost revenue. Which again is supported by academic studies.

tonyob

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
We dropped Netflix in April 2022 when the corporate greed campaign started. We still haven't gone back to them and have since discovered better and more interesting streaming services like MUBI and purchase movies on the Apple TV Store so can't see ourselves ever going back to Netflix now.

emulator

macrumors 6502a
We dropped Netflix in April 2022 when the corporate greed campaign started. We still haven't gone back to them and have since discovered better and more interesting streaming services like MUBI and purchase movies on the Apple TV Store so can't see ourselves ever going back to Netflix now.
MUBI is similar to the Criterion Channel, isn't it? How's their quality, HD only or 4K as well?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
What? T-Mobile just the middle man, you're paying them to pay netflix for you. ;)

True, but since it's part of the offering, not an add on there is discount on your TMob bill if you don't subscribe.

DVD Plaza

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
adelaide.sa.au
Meanwhile the promised "we won't impact your holiday home" never eventuated and sure enough it stopped working there. You didn't earn a second subscription for same household we just don't use it down there anymore, which combined with the price increases and reduced content is making the cost hard to swallow.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018

Netflix has been "completely satisfied" with the pace of the password sharing crackdown it initiated in the United States earlier this year, Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said today at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference (via Variety).

Netflix-Smaller-2.jpg

The streaming company first began eliminating password sharing in in several countries in Latin America in 2022, requiring those who wanted to share subscriptions with people outside of their direct household to pay an additional fee. Password sharing restrictions then expanded to Canada, New Zealand, and some European countries in February 2023, before coming to the U.S., UK, and other countries in May 2023. The tiered rollout gave Netflix time to assess customer reaction. "It was good to take it slow," said Sarandos at today's event. "That's why we didn't do it in one fell swoop."

Netflix allowed password sharing to proliferate for more than a decade before deciding to crack down on it. The change came because in the first quarter of 2022, Netflix lost subscribers for the first time in 10 years and saw a sharp drop in revenue. To boost revenue, Netflix put a stop to password sharing, raised prices, and launched an ad-supported tier.

According to Netflix, an estimated 222 million paying households were sharing with an additional 100 million households that were not being monetized.

Following the password sharing crackdown, Netflix said that it saw strong subscriber growth in countries where password sharing was restricted. Netflix in Q2 2023 added six million subscribers, including more than a million in the U.S. and Canada. Revenue increased in every region where paid sharing was rolled out, and signups ultimately exceeded cancelations. In the third quarter of 2023, Netflix gained 8.8 million new subscribers, up from 2.4 million new subscribers in Q3 2022, plus revenue increased by $64 million.

Netflix subscribers are now only allowed to share accounts with people who live in the same household, with Netflix restricting access based on IP and other location data. "A Netflix account is meant to be shared by people who live together in one household," reads the Netflix website. "People who are not in your household will need to use their own account to watch Netflix."

Along with removing password sharing, Netflix in October raised its prices in the United States. The Basic no-ads plan is now priced at $11.99 per month (a $2 increase), while the Premium plan is $22.99 per month (a $3 increase). Netflix did not change the price of its $6.99 ad-supported tier or its $15.49/month Standard plan.

Article Link: Netflix 'Completely Satisfied' With Pace of Password Sharing Crackdown
I'm not in the US, however I switched Netflix off at the beginning of the year, due to their content being so poor & woke.
I turn it on for 1 month every 4, just to catch up on new content, not that much of it, that's decent to catch up on, so it's getting cancelled again.
I think his claims are just PR Spin & false, I predict Netflix within 2 years will be going bankrupt, if their policy's on content don't change

Reactions: nt5672

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
They don't provide any content though. Plus I believe they've had some issues with privacy and cybersecurity? (Some tech friends briefly mentioned that, but I didn't catch the details). Suffice to say, if you're into Apple products because of their privacy stance, you probably should take a closer look with Plex.

I provide the content. Plex provides everything else and you are not correct at all about them in regards to privacy or security.

Apple also doesn't actually care about those things it is just a corporate line to make people like you think this kinda stuff.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
Ditched Netflix and got a jailbroken Apple TV and haven't looked back since Netflix greed will eventually catch up to them.

Reactions: AlmightyKang

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
We now stop service on Hulu or Netflix until they accumulate a few interesting titles, then sign up for a month and binge. So instead of paying for two streaming services as we used to, we’re now only paying for one any given month. (Have a couple others that are parts of different packages like Prime or Max that is paid for by the phone plan).

We quit cable 13 years ago because of high cost and annoying ads. We’ll quit streaming services if they become just as bad.

Star Brood

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
People are still watching Netflix? They used to be the home run streaming service where you could find everything you wanted to watch without having to hop between 10 different platforms. In an era where cable was ubiquitous, Netflix had massively cornered the market.

Now Netflix is "just another channel" in an endless sea of mediocrity. No one is producing good content anymore because "it doesn't make money".

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
Between my Plex server, and my friends Plex servers, I have enough content from the 40's to the early 2000's that is actually great to last me more than my lifetime. There's even newer stuff on there but most of the new shows and movie are complete trash. Between Plex and my DirecTV Stream package that gets me 105+ HD channels, DVR, and 3 streams for $39.99 a month, I'm all set. Netflix and the lot can pound sand.

Last edited:

Cranslove

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
wait until they realize how many people are still torrenting their stuff. should crack down on that too
lol the won’t haha. Imagine paying all those subs for mediocre average content, while you can torrent it just as easy.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
We cancelled but just renewed for Christmas, the same for all the streaming services to watch the Christmas movies etc. Will cancel in the new year. I think after that I'm to just start buying movies on iTunes. or even better maybe physical media!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.