Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Why doesn’t Apple just buy Netflix?
No need. Netflix will put themselves out of business. Apple is preparing for the future with Vision Pro.

How long Netflix think they can continue to increase prices while not improving their service and content. They pump out so many shows and movies but the majority of them is just mediocre at best.

Reactions: sphark

p4ttythep3rf3ct

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
It’s a fair point…until you add in that they proactively opted out of allowing their iPad app to be used. Meh, whatever, I’ll be watching the other relevant streaming services anyway.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
Has anyone used the Netflix app for Quest? Last I used it, it was trash. I was hoping to look at a drive-in-sized screen. Instead they show you a large tv-sized screen and just bring it 3 feet from your face.
lol I had forgotten about that. Really BigScreen is where is was at IMO, helped me fall in love with the potential of VR+Movies/Pluto etc

Reactions: AsarTheGod

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I’m going to write to Netflix asking them to develop a native app for the Vision Pro. I suggest other AVP customers do the same.

Customer feedback is important—if they think us Premium paying “subscale” customers don’t want a native visionOS app.
I don’t have time to beg. It’s a good opportunity to see what Disney, Paramount and Apple have.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Actually, it's *simpler*. All they had to do was - NOTHING. They had to go out of their way and click the box to DENY the app for Vision Pro. The default for all iPad apps is to be available.

Ongoing costs. Support. It’s much more than checking a box. Netflix would want a native app or nothing. With Apple having no leverage and not offering Netflix any incentive then nothing is the answer for now.

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I've been wondering this myself ever since they launched Apple TV+. It's very clear that they're going pretty full bore into the streaming market, calculating Oscar and Emmy wins, etc. The only thing Apple TV+ lacks, aside from a decent UI and user experience, is content. They could get the breadth and scope of content they really need to justify their ridiculous price increase by spending some of those trillions on buying Netflix outright.

In one respect I kinda hope they don't do this 'cause there's been a detrimental amalgamation of studios over the last decade or so and that's not a trend I want to see continue, but on the other hand... at least then I wouldn't have to sail the high seas so much...

Apple isn’t and never was looking to profit or even compete off their own streaming. It’s to draw people to their tv app to buy apps like Disney plus.

Why buy Netflix when they can make their money selling streaming services.

chaospet

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Has anyone used the Netflix app for Quest? Last I used it, it was trash. I was hoping to look at a drive-in-sized screen. Instead they show you a large tv-sized screen and just bring it 3 feet from your face.

Yeah it's garbage. It was decent way back when it came out, but it hasn't been updated since like 2019. And even then it was written by John Carmack because he wanted it on Oculus, Netflix didn't (and still doesn't apparently) have any real interest in developing for VR/AR. All this stuff about the AVP being "subscale" is total BS (which is especially made obvious by the fact that they could allow the ipad app to run on the AVP with basically no effort).

Reactions: sphark

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Is anyone surpirsed? Apple has been openly hostile to devs who make its products valuable. And, yeah, the user base for Vision Pro is smaller than a rounding error for any other OS they support. Why would they bother until it's a more proven platform?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
To be fair, people would complain it’s just a trash port job instead of a native app.
I highly doubt that. I think iPad apps will look great on Vision Pro being that the apps are made for the current gen iPads which have a high resolution. It shouldn’t looked stretched or anything like that.

Reactions: Tagbert and sphark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.