Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
You raise a good point, I too also enjoyed the OA and was very disappointed that they canceled the show. There are other shows they canceled which I just don't understand why they did when the shows had a huge following. But this is a pattern not just with Netflix, even Network shows end up canceling shows after the 3 or 4 seasons and that if they are lucky. I come to terms that I should appreciate 1 season of a new series and not get my hopes up because it may get canceled. #SAVETHEOA :)
The OA was probably their most original show. They’ve also canceled Glow, which was a solid show.
I think the reason why they keep removing good shows is that the majority of their audience has poor mainstream taste, hence they keep producing mediocre stuff like Sabrina, You, etc. I keep seeing their Top 10’s and I’m barely interested in anything that’s in it.
I just finished their Haunting of Bly Manor and that show made me so mad! I thought it was so poorly made and it was a tremendous decline in quality compared to the first season.

Reactions: decypher44

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
"The basic plan that limits quality to standard definition continues to be $8.99 a month"
Why does this thing still exist?
For people with those old Rokus that include Composite outputs, connecting them to their tube TVs they refuse to let go of.

bryn0076

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
BNE
Some of you guys probably think a sand-which, chips and soda for quarter should never have gone up in price either.

Imagine if your pay never went up....
Wage growth is pretty much stagnant across the globe. Inflation, although lower than usual is still around 3%. Our pay is not going up, it’s going down.

Netflix hasn't read the room; there is clearly a perception that Netflix is cancelling popular shows and has actually reduced the quality of their 4K bit-rate.
(shocked no one has mentioned Glow - I’m pretty salty about that !)

They are charging more for less.
Netflix’s share of your wallet is growing faster than you are putting cash in. And that's a problem for me....

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Wage growth is pretty much stagnant across the globe. Inflation, although lower than usual is still around 3%. Our pay is not going up, it’s going down.

Netflix hasn't read the room; there is clearly a perception that Netflix is cancelling popular shows and has actually reduced the quality of their 4K bit-rate.
(shocked no one has mentioned Glow - I’m pretty salty about that !)

They are charging more for less.
Netflix’s share of your wallet is growing faster than you are putting cash in. And that's a problem for me....
I just mentioned Glow 2 posts above!

daved2424

Suspended
Sep 14, 2018
over $2? If you own an iphone, I find it hard to imagine that you can't afford $2. Netflix does provide some of the best content out there on a pretty consistent basis.
I can afford to eat the finest caviar for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Doesn’t mean I want to or think it’s worth it.

Reactions: ISprainedMyUvula

daved2424

Suspended
Sep 14, 2018
It’s impressive you know what Netflix cost of business is. Does your crystal ball tell you anything else?

That’s fine. You’re entitled to leave whenever you want. But the reality is most people won’t leave over a $2.00 hike when Netflix continues to invest into its platform.
Continues to invest? They have just raised ANOTHER $1 billion in junk bonds and have less debt this year then expected because they HAVEN’T been investing this year in content. Please don’t mistake your sycophancy for facts.

obamtl

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2010
These small increases are really starting to add up. The time to consider which streaming platforms to subscribe to might come.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I got rid of Netflix when they removed alot of crap I watched and started replacing it with original content that I'm just not interested in.

Streaming services are getting silly now, to the point where I've actualy gone back to just having cable. It costs £30 on top of what I'd pay for broadband/phone etc, and that includes all of the movie and sports channels. I'd quite honestly rather have that than say Amazon Video, Netflix and Disney+.

It was good when we just had Netflix. But half of the content that used to be on netflix has been moved to other services (greed) and it's just not worth buying them all. Everyone wanted a piece of the pie and ruined it.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Does anyone remember when, at the start of the lockdown earlier this year, streaming services like Netflix said they were cutting streaming quality by 25% in Europe? Was that temporary or is it still in place? I've seen some things saying it was originally for a month but it's pretty hard to verify. I just thought about it again when seeing the price increase.

• Angry

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Does anyone remember when, at the start of the lockdown earlier this year, streaming services like Netflix said they were cutting streaming quality by 25% in Europe? Was that temporary or is it still in place? I've seen some things saying it was originally for a month but it's pretty hard to verify. I just thought about it again when seeing the price increase.

It was temporary. IIRC, they did it for a few days in the US too.

Reactions: Hakiroto

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Never been a regular subscriber. I have enjoyed a few shows like The Crown but other than that not a lot. I currently have Apple TV+, Disney including Hulu and Amazon Prime for the shipping discount with video service as a bonus. Everything I enjoy watching is covered.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
My T-Mobile plan includes Netflix. Last hike they didn't cover the increase so had the $2 difference tacked onto bill. Now I guess it will be $3.

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Anybody else hate how most the Netflix(well a lot) are dubbed voice over/foreign? I keep clicking on things and find it to be voiceover. I don’t always pay attention to the tv screen when I’m doing things and I can’t do these shows. Even so I don’t like subtitled shows and the voiceover wording is horribly cheesy. Netflix originals used to be good 5+ years ago.
I like the foreign shows... they are a breath of fresh air compared to the garbage shows on cable TV these days. I always use subtitles anyway and sometimes switch language to the original foreign so can learn how to speak it. The foreign shows are reason I would not cancel Netflix... try switching to original language if want to hear original emotions in the voices... a lot of good foreign performances miss out on if only stick to English shows and movies.

• Love
Reactions: decypher44

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Maybe somebody else has already said this (because I'm really late with this comment) but Netflix didn't cancel Mindhunter. David Fincher decided he doesn't want to do it anymore. If he wanted to do it I'm sure Netflix would jump at the chance, but they can't force him to do it.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Have you watched Servant. I just finished episode one. SO GOOD. Casting script cinematography and direction are excellent. Apple TV has some good content and it’s only been a year. Can you imagine what they will have given more time. Much much higher quality then Netflix.
I bet you’re the person who laughed when the iPad zane out. Then when the iPhone came out. And then the iPad. Then AirPods....

• Disagree

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Orange Is The New Black ended last year.
Ozark will end with its next season.
13 Reasons Why, seasons 3 and 4 were utter garbage!
Stranger Things, last season was mediocre at best.
House of Cards ended and its last season was garbage.
Mindhunter is canceled now, as David Fincher just confirmed yesterday that nothing further is planned for this show.
Black Mirror, its last season had a huge drop in quality.
All their best shows are either canceled or coming to an end with their next seasons.
In your horrible opinion?

• Disagree

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Orange Is The New Black ended last year.
Ozark will end with its next season.
13 Reasons Why, seasons 3 and 4 were utter garbage!
Stranger Things, last season was mediocre at best.
House of Cards ended and its last season was garbage.
Mindhunter is canceled now, as David Fincher just confirmed yesterday that nothing further is planned for this show.
Black Mirror, its last season had a huge drop in quality.
All their best shows are either canceled or coming to an end with their next seasons.
In your horrible opinion
Continues to invest? They have just raised ANOTHER $1 billion in junk bonds and have less debt this year then expected because they HAVEN’T been investing this year in content. Please don’t mistake your sycophancy for facts.
Not sure you noticed but we are in the middle of a pandemic. Probably a little challenging to get new shows off the ground but will need capital to do so fit future shows. Do you honestly think you know what it costs to make a movie or show? The capital needed for that? Please educate yourself.

• Disagree

KibJ

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2019
I get Netflix in the UK as part of my Sky TV subscription so if the UK price goes up I won't be hit with this, but I'm watching less and less on Netflix and not sure it would be worth keeping it

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe somebody else has already said this (because I'm really late with this comment) but Netflix didn't cancel Mindhunter. David Fincher decided he doesn't want to do it anymore. If he wanted to do it I'm sure Netflix would jump at the chance, but they can't force him to do it.
He clearly said it was too expensive for Netflix. They keep reducing their budgets. It’s been quantity over quality for a while on Netflix.

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.