Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix's beta for streaming content directly to Macs is now available for open beta at http://www.netflix.com/silverlightoptin. Netflix notes a few things to consider before signing up:
- There may be bugs. We are logging all errors, but if you run into problems you can help out by posting details here in the blog comments.
- Not all movies are available to watch with Silverlight. You may notice errors or lower than normal quality when watching certain titles.
- Our new player works on PCs and Intel-based Macs.
- Windows users should be aware that if you opt in, you will need to use Silverlight on all the machines you use to watch instantly.
Netflix previously announced that they had begun limited beta testing of the new Mac service and expects the final release to be available by the end of the year.

Netflix is best known for its mail-order DVD rental service but also includes unlimited video streaming with their fixed monthly plans starting at $9/month. Up until now, this streaming service has not been Mac compatible.

Article Link: Netflix Silverlight Streaming Beta Now Available for Mac Users

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Trying it out now with Helvetica. Glad this just came in, can't find anything good to watch on TV.
I had been using blockbuster for a couple years due to stores being so close to home, and then the option to return to the store for another movie for free...but the NXE update for 360 and Mac streaming made me switch.

Will report back with results.

- Loads fairly quick and only using 75-90% CPU (cable internet over G wifi, 2.16 CoreDuo)
- now using 50-75% after loading completely
- Fullscreen quality (1680x1050) is a little lacking, but normal view looks good.
- Window resizing is quick and responsive, no lag in playback
- quick, responsive scrubber (nice little preview too)...slowish buffering once you have found your spot.
- just had to log off to get on another account, logged back in and restarted Helvetica. Resumed quickly and within seconds of where I left off

Very impressed so far.

thepandamancan

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
Burbank, CA
I wish they had HD options like Apple TV but the SD streams load quickly and looks great on my 24" iMac screen. It's a bit choppy in full screen and sometimes it'll go out of sync but it's not much of a problem and usually corrects itself. I'm glad I got Netflix.

gcliv

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Wow, FINALLY!

And it runs great, even better than the Windows version for me!

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
We're just getting started with Netflix... good to see the Mac version's finally seeing the light of day.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
What plans do you all have?

What plans do you have/need for this? I have been aching to sign up for netflix because I love movies but I am on a budget.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
What plans do you have/need for this? I have been aching to sign up for netflix because I love movies but I am on a budget.

The one movie at a time with unlimited streaming ($8.99) plan but might bump it up to the 2 at a time w/unlimited ($13.99).

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003

It appears that all but the cheapest ($4.99) plan allow for unlimited instant viewing. You should be able to get a free trial.

The instant selection is pretty weak compared to the DVDs.

ashkelon28

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Anyone know if users outside of the US (such as myself) will be able to use this? Most streaming sites in the states (networks, hulu, etc.) block our IP's and force us to use things like Hotspot Shield which are unreliable at best.

acrahm

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
simple question, can i hook up my 06 MBP to my 37 in Vizio to watch this on my TV?

isthatafirepara

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
So excited to see this however I keep getting error 8051. Anyone else see this one?
------------------------
Apple MB 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Running it in Firefox....(maybe this is the problem?)

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I keep getting an error that netflix is deactivated on this device due to an account issue. This is strange bec I can stream movies just fine from my MBP on vista through bootcamp I called netflix and they said they problem was my ISP. I called my ISP and they said the problem was netflix. Im tempted to side with my ISP here since everything else with my internet works fine... Even netflix streaming through windows. Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution?

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I keep getting an error that netflix is deactivated on this device due to an account issue. This is strange bec I can stream movies just fine from my MBP on vista through bootcamp I called netflix and they said they problem was my ISP. I called my ISP and they said the problem was netflix. Im tempted to side with my ISP here since everything else with my internet works fine... Even netflix streaming through windows. Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution?

Having the same issue here too. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I was thinking there's only so many machines you can stream on and I might be at that limit. Maybe Netflix can reset my authorizations.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Having the same issue here too. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I was thinking there's only so many machines you can stream on and I might be at that limit. Maybe Netflix can reset my authorizations.

I think I just read something that says you are allowed 4 or 5 machines per 12 months for streaming. You are also limited by the number of machines streaming at once. If you have the 1 DVD unlimited, you are allowed 1 stream at a time. 2 DVD unlimited, 2 streams at a time etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.