Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Having the same issue here too. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I was thinking there's only so many machines you can stream on and I might be at that limit. Maybe Netflix can reset my authorizations.

Ok, I got it working. I just had to sign out, and then back in.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Video Quality Auto-Detect?

Anybody else having trouble with the video quality auto-detect? Mine is coming up as "Basic" and saying I have a data rate of less than 1 Mbps even though most speed tests clock me at 1.8-2.1.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
works fine

macbook 2ghz machine-

i agree- the selection could be better- but i'll find some TV show here that i'll wanna watch

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I think I just read something that says you are allowed 4 or 5 machines per 12 months for streaming. You are also limited by the number of machines streaming at once. If you have the 1 DVD unlimited, you are allowed 1 stream. 2 DVD unlimited, 2 streams etc.

I just tried logging out and logging in and it worked on both my iMac and MBA.

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
i'd venture to say that once the new xbox dashboard is launched that will have hd streaming from netflix, we'll see hd content pop up for pc/mac streaming.

xwing1971

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2004
Gulf Coast
Nice

I was about to drop Netflix since all I could play it on was my crummy 19" Samsung. Now, it's on my nice 24" iMac. Plays better than on my PC, too. I like the Silverlight player much better. Actually seems more stable. Less buffering. It'll be nice when they add more/better movies. I'll keep it for now. Between Netflix, Hulu, Joost, CBS, ABC, NBC, MTVMusic, and AOL N2TV, there isn't much reason to have cable anymore. I have 2 friends who have hooked up computers to their TVs and kicked cable to the curb. Things are changing.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Is this just for americans or can people outside of the US sign up for this service?
That depends, I would guess, on whether or not you can get Netflix service in your country. If you don't, then no, you can't.

Not gonna happen. Silverlight and iTunes competitor = 2 strikes.
I can't think of why Silverlight would be a rational strike. However, I'll concede the iTunes competitor strike. In that case, maybe I'll just hold out hope that Apple will revisit their pricing model for iTunes rentals. (But I won't hold my breath...)

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
News traveled a little slow today, but it was a sunday and you can hardly expect macrumors people to be at work.

anyway, The Netflix Mac program works great. not HD, but hopefully that comes someday.

Also, it would be awesome to get Netflix streaming working on Apple TV.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
That depends, I would guess, on whether or not you can get Netflix service in your country. If you don't, then no, you can't.

I can't think of why Silverlight would be a rational strike. However, I'll concede the iTunes competitor strike. In that case, maybe I'll just hold out hope that Apple will revisit their pricing model for iTunes rentals. (But I won't hold my breath...)

is Silverlight an itunes competitor??? or is it a quicktime competitor? i thought more of a quicktime competitor.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
is Silverlight an itunes competitor??? or is it a quicktime competitor? i thought more of a quicktime competitor.

I suspect that his point is that rentals through Netflix compete with rentals through iTunes. I don't know what Silverlight would compete with -- aside, maybe, from flash that's encoded with h.264? Or maybe people see it as an Apple competitor in general, since it's a Microsoft technology. I think that's a stretch.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
I've been waiting for this for so long. I guess I can get rid of my boot camp now...the only time I ever used it was to watch Netflix Instant Viewing.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Just got done watching Donnie Brasco. Man am I happy I won't have to crank up my VMWare to watch crap on Netflix anymore. Very impressed so far.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Ummm I signed up for a free trial.. the 8.99 one and I go to the instant view thing and I get a page that says it's not supported for Macintosh.

What's going on?

Edit: The link to the Silverlight Opt In doesn't work right on Macrumors.. took me to the wrong page.. I found a proper link from another website which took me to the Opt in page. And i'm good now.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I've been running watch it now on an XP VM in fusion for a while but this is much easier. Nice to see that the Mac is starting to achieve enough market share that companies are feeling compelled to support it.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Silverlight, ugh. That's reason enough not to use it.

I'm not so concerned about competition with Apple or Adobe or their technologies - more competition = good, bring it on - rather, it's more to do with Microsoft's semi-developed Mac products, partial commitment to the platform, and limited feature parity.

Firstly, was Silverlight actually done by the MacBU, or is it like WMP for Mac, which was developed by the nongs in the Media Player group? And how long will it actually last, before Microsoft loses interest and dumps the Mac version, to "consolidate their products and focus on their core apps" like they do every now and then? How invested do people want to get when Microsoft don't have a great track record in keeping things going? And how many Netflix features will be missing, types of videos will be unavailable, and options will be "coming soon"?

Color me skeptical, but that's my $0.04.

macfearless

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Sucks that we just signed up for netflix, and were getting excited about mac streaming only to find out that they don't support powerpc... Damn:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.