Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Cancelled both Netflix and Disney a few months ago.

Amazon Prime and YouTube are plenty to keep me entertained :)

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
Some people pay $100 per month or more for streaming services and I wonder how many hours per month they use them to justify that expense. Would streaming really be worth a dollar per hour for them or even more? I once subscribed to Netflix for month for €11.99, but in that month I really used it 8 to 10 hours per day. So I paid less than 5 Cents for every watched hour. After that month I cancelled the subscription though, because I ran out of content I was interested in. Most content is available for free anyway.

Netflix could be much cheaper if they did not waste so much money. Some of their original movies cost $200 million, although they look much cheaper. They have spend BILLIONS just on old episodes of "Friends". And then they gave insane amounts of money to Harry and Meghan, who basically are the European version of the Kardashians, but even more annoying. So Netflix is a giant transfer of money from average income people to rich people who you do not really want to support. They even give millions to criminals for a documentary about their crimes.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
After cancelling Max in August, I now only have Amazon Prime for streaming. Amazon is going to get the can soon too. I don't order enough anymore (kids are in college) or even use it for streaming.
How does it feel like having an empty house? Enjoying it or do you miss the hell out of them?

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
same. I don’t lose an ounce of sleep over it no matter how up in arms some folks get lol.
So you like to steal and to announce it to the world? It'd be an open and shut case if you ever get caught, either via criminal penalties or civil. It's not like you need it to live like the hungry. I just don't understand that.

I personally wouldn't steal, but if I needed to for some reason, I sure as heck wouldn't announce it.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Looks like in time I will have only one streaming left, TV+ since it’s included in my One subscription. 😏

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I love Netflix, I haven't seen a tv commercial in over 10 years. I don't even know when new movies come out unless I hear about it from word of mouth or the radio.

Roy Biggins

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2016
I've been wanting to periodically drop/add streaming video services. Save $$ & binge the stuff I really want. Put it on hold, come back later. That's the best way to do it. The frequent price hikes by Netflix & now Hulu & Disney are insane. It feels like it gets raised more than once per year sometimes.

The only reason I haven't paused Netflix is b/c I bill through iTunes, which I fill with discounted gift cards all year. You can't pause it if you pay through iTunes. You can cancel, but they don't allow you to come back and pay through iTunes anymore. Only legacy subscribers can do that. I almost wish they'd take the pay through iTunes option away to make my decision easier for me.

I do share with family members, and they me. I pay for (highest tier for each):

Youtube TV
Netflix
Apple TV+
Hulu
Prime
Peacock (yearly, cheaper)
Paramount (yearly, cheaper)

I share my subscriptions with family. They subscribe to and share with me:

Dish
HBO/Cinemax (are they one or two?)
Showtime
Starz

We get Disney+ included with our Verizon plan (ESPN+ and Hulu with ads too, but I can't tolerate ads...so I pay for ad-free Hulu)

We're total homebodies. All my peers are out all the time. We're the opposite. Always home. Always watching. Paying for all of them is foolish though.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I canceled last year after signing up at launch in 2008. $20/mo for 4K streaming to one TV in our home, and occasionally one iPad or Mac was just not worth it for their sorry lineup. Hope they keep bleeding users. I'm over Netflix, and really much of TV. Even Disney+ is seeming like not such a great deal, it's mostly rehashed Star Wars and Marvel stuff that I'm also over. But the kids enjoy it. It's on the edge right now.

I just don't really care for a lot of TV right now, except for, funnily enough, Apple TV+ which has been making some really great shows. It's just bundled in with my Apple One which I think is a pretty good deal for everything I get for my entire family.
Apple TV+ does have some really great new shows

Reactions: madeirabhoy

TheOneWhoKnocks

Suspended
Sep 17, 2021
I've been wanting to periodically drop/add streaming video services. Save $$ & binge the stuff I really want. Put it on hold, come back later. That's the best way to do it. The frequent price hikes by Netflix & now Hulu & Disney are insane. It feels like it gets raised more than once per year sometimes.

The only reason I haven't paused Netflix is b/c I bill through iTunes, which I fill with discounted gift cards all year. You can't pause it if you pay through iTunes. You can cancel, but they don't allow you to come back and pay through iTunes anymore. Only legacy subscribers can do that. I almost wish they'd take the pay through iTunes option away to make my decision easier for me.

I do share with family members, and they me. I pay for (highest tier for each):

Youtube TV
Netflix
Apple TV+
Hulu
Prime
Peacock (yearly, cheaper)
Paramount (yearly, cheaper)

I share my subscriptions with family. They subscribe to and share with me:

Dish
HBO/Cinemax (are they one or two?)
Showtime
Starz

We get Disney+ included with our Verizon plan (ESPN+ and Hulu with ads too, but I can't tolerate ads...so I pay for ad-free Hulu)

We're total homebodies. All my peers are out all the time. We're the opposite. Always home. Always watching. Paying for all of them is foolish though.
Priorities, man, priorities ...

JippaLippa

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
Unfortunately Netflix showed us that people do the talk, but not the walk.
Lots of friends told me they'd have canceled their subscriptions...and yet...
People will complain, but nothing will change.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I am sure they will frame it as a result of the writers' strike. "Writers demand more money, so we have to raise the prices.".

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
Cancelled Netflix last year I think, or whenever their recent price hike was. We do not miss it. They're also following the Hulu / Disney route and adding a lot of foreign low-budget content that simply is not entertaining (but gives them "diversity" clout).

Reactions: frost_horizon

Hails09

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
They’re adding subscribers.
One possible reason for that is in my country it gets bundled with a tv subscription package. That it works out cheaper & gets added to your monthly bill so you don’t really think about it that much.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2022
Adding advertisements defeats the point of streaming. I guess I’ll probably end up going back to just buying a small amount of content on iTunes each year.

just wish I could download 4k and host it on a NAS. Does anyone have a good nas recommendation?

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
The company has also ended all multi-household sharing, so Netflix users must reside in the same location to share a Netflix plan, otherwise there is an additional cost for another member slot.

But unfortunately if your Netflix bill is being paid for by your cellular provider, this isn’t an option. At least, that’s the case with Tmo.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Streaming has two costs, the costs of the service AND the cost the user pays for having internet because streaming is sent over the internet so whilst the streaming companies may think their prices are good value for money, when add the cost of having to have the internet to be able to watch the streamed movies it no longer becomes good value for money and it gets especially worse when the streaming companies raise their prices.

If Netflix post an increase in profits for the next quarter when compared to the previous quarter customers will know they are paying way to much for the service.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.