New 10-Inch iPad and Cheaper iPad Mini Coming 'As Early As This Spring'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is working on an updated version of the $329 6th-generation iPad and a new, cheaper iPad mini, Bloomberg today confirmed in an extensive report on Apple's future product plans.

The new version of the iPad will feature a "roughly 10-inch screen," which would be slightly larger than the 9.7-inch model that is currently available. The device is also expected to have a faster processor and a Lightning port instead of a USB-C port.

[​IMG]

Apple is also working on an iPad mini 5, a followup to the 2015 iPad mini 4. The iPad mini 5 will be cheaper than the existing model, but no other details were provided.

Prior rumors have suggested both the new iPad and the iPad mini 5 will feature Touch ID Home buttons rather than Face ID, which would be appropriate as both are seemingly positioned as lower-cost devices.

Code found in iOS 12.2 indicates the two new tablets could potentially offer support for the Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard as well.

According to Bloomberg, Apple could be planning to introduce the new iPads "as early as this spring," which is in line with other recent information.

New iPad models were registered with the Eurasian Economic Commission earlier this month, something that is generally done shortly ahead of a product launch, and references to new iPad models have been found in iOS 12.2.

For the last several years, Apple has held an event in March, and the company could be planning to do the same thing this year. If that's the case, we could see the new iPad and the iPad mini 5 at some point in March.

As for the iPad Pro, Apple is said to be planning a major upgrade for 2020 with a laser-powered 3D camera for augmented reality purposes. No major changes are planned for 2019, and it is unclear if the iPad Pro will get a 2019 update at all.

Article Link: New 10-Inch iPad and Cheaper iPad Mini Coming 'As Early As This Spring'

2. Totti macrumors member

Home button would be welcome. My two year old can't deal with FaceID

3. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

4. bensisko macrumors 65816

Oooo! IPad Mini Pencil Support? Instant buy!

5. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

A 7" all screen iPad mini with LTE would be a fantastic replacement for an iPhone. My Watch is gradually becoming the only device I always carry with me. For times when I need a full screen, I'd rather carry around a small notebook sized iPad mini than an iPhone.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Perhaps an OLED iPad Pro in 2020....?

7. bobtem macrumors member

bobtem

So, would these be compatible with pencil 1 or pencil 2?

8. weup togo macrumors 6502

It's borderline insane that you can get a larger ipad for $329 that has capabilities pretty close to a $1200 device. I know screen techs vary, but at some point you run out of excuses for the markups.

9. brendu macrumors 68020

This is basically what I do all day at work. Watch and iPad. I almost never keep my phone on my anymore

10. Lozza013 macrumors member

Lozza013

In the words of Phillip J Fry, Shut up and take my money!!!!

11. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Here's to hoping for a more uniform price decrease across the board.

12. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

Lightning, USB-C, make up your baked minds Apple Morons.

13. onebadfishy macrumors newbie

I see that for many people including myself. The iPad and Watch combination is killer. Screw the phone. This redefines the phone.

14. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Is 10" conveniently the size of the current 9.7 minus the bezels?

15. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

The 10” thing I find quite curious - 9.7” is already pretty close to that anyway, it seems strange they’d do a redesign around a marginally bigger screen but keep the old home button design? I think either we keep the formfactor again, or they will change it to a no home-button Face ID design that’s similar but with slightly reduced bezels (particularly at the top and bottom).

17. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Anyone hear anything new on the iPod Touch rumors ?

It would be great if Apple released a new Touch when they release the new iPads.

18. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

The new iPod Mini IS the new iPod :)

19. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I notice how rumors keep saying 10 and not 10.5. Hopefully they don't reuse the Pro 10.5 body for this because of the bright spot issue, it seems to be a problem with that design in general. Maybe it's the same 9.7 but with a larger screen, that would be cool.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

I'd like a device that isn't heavy, isn't too big, isn't fragile, and is fast so I can watch Netflix in bed in the mornings without getting up and going to the living room.

21. alexandr macrumors regular

alexandr

22. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

I hope we are not in the minority on this. I hate carrying around a cell phone, even if it is the size of an SE. I’d rather pay extra for a watch not tethered to a phone with it’s own cell service that I can sync with an ipad or mac to get health stuff.

23. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

My Watch works perfectly for phone calls, for listening to music, for reading and sending short messages and for managing my schedule and To Do list. Siri has been getting noticeably better at answering general questions as well. I barely need a phone anymore.

An iPad mini that I can carry like a small notebook would be fantastic for when I want to browse, use apps and engage in longer texting sessions.

I do hope that the mini they're introducing isn't an inferior iPad. True Depth is becoming a standard production component (now in all three 2019 phones) that it can be made cheaply. iOS has moved away entirely from the Home button. I can't see a brand new iPad mini sticking with the obsoleted Home button which would force iOS to maintain it for years to come.

An iPad mini with Face ID could eliminate most of the bezel and if they keep the screen size the same, it'd be a perfect tablet to effortlessly carry around in your hand or in a jacket pocket.

24. Loge macrumors 68030

Loge

why say "as early as this spring" rather than "this spring"?

New iPhones coming as early as this September.

25. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Sure it’s not antipathy against the digital world u try to get her/him into to gain more free time for yourself?