New 10-Inch iPad and Cheaper iPad Mini Coming 'As Early As This Spring'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2019.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I pay $60 for unlimited calls/texts and 10GB of data. It’s $5 for the Watch, $10 for the iPad.

No, the costs don’t keep piling up. That’s it. Don’t be disingenuous.

2. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Considering your geo-location is correct, which carrier are you with Bell, Telus or Rogers. Plus if you have not received some promotional deal from one of these carriers (due to Apple Watch support), which plan are you on specifically. Unless you are with Freedom and according to Apples support page it is not supported.

3. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

It would be nice if the Watch application was supported by iPad, this would sell more watches especially for those who have android phones and an ipad.

4. JBGoode, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

Only the new Pros have Pencil 2 support. Pencil 2 is not compatible with any other iPad. There's still two generations of pro and one generation of regular iPad out there that need Apple Pencil 1 to be produced and supported. Apple is still selling these iPads so it's unlikely Pencil 1 is going away any time soon.

5. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Got to rip the band-aid sooner rather than later. The longer it is still incorporated the longer it has to be supported. This way in 5 years or less Apple Pencil 1 will be phased out. That is the Apple way. I may not like it, however I have learned to accept it.

6. Tagbert macrumors member

Tagbert

That a silly argument. The XS-Max is 3-4 times as expensive as the mini and is significantly smaller. Not a replacement at all. i would rather have a less bulky phone for day-to-day carrying around and have a larger, mini-size screen at my table or couch.

Certainly the specs and prices of the ipad lineup are a little out of whack now, but I expect Apple to clean that up with the next release if they finally bring these devices up to date.

7. Joshsy macrumors newbie

Joshsy

I just need a upgrade to my 16 Gig iPad Mini 2 that I bought on March sixth, two thousand and fifteen. If it is the right price, I’ll buy the Mini 5.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2019 ---
    They will not be able to see after too long either.

8. Stoutman11 macrumors regular

So thick bezels forever! I was a big touch id guy before i got my xs max. If they cant get touch id on the display i dont really want it. I prefer a full screen device.

9. ScreenSavers macrumors member

ScreenSavers

Any iPad mini update- instant buy!

10. cmaier macrumors G4

No .gif?

I’m disappointed.

11. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I’m on Bell. My plan was negotiated.

12. ksec macrumors 6502a

Looking increasingly likely. LG WOLED and not Samsung's AMOLED. The price of OLED *might* have reached a point where it is about the same as a IPS LCD laminated display.

Which goes to my next point..... I hope I am wrong..... I had a feeling all these newer iPad will be like iPad 2018, they won't have laminated display.

13. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

Then just get the $330 one and stop whining.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2019 ---
    No.

14. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

[
    USB-c for pros. Perhaps at some future point there will be real functionality involved

15. Hawkw1nd macrumors newbie

Hawkw1nd

What is it with Canadian mobile plans being so expensive? For that price down her in Oz you can get unlimited calls/SMS, 1,000 minutes of overseas calls to the most popular 2 dozen countries in Europe, Nth America, and Asia, and the first 65GB of data at LTE speeds which is throttled down to 1.5Mbps unlimited when the 65GB have been used.

16. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Possibly. Considering that the Pencil 2 requires a magnetic charging connector that could be a factor. Especially in the vertical markets where the Mini is commonly used. Pencil 1's lightning connector allows those companies to be able to charge multiple Pencils more easily.

But whether or not it supports the Pencil 1 or 2, I think it'll support the Logitech Crayon (or a new stylus that uses the same technology) in addition.

Why? Because many Apple customers don't like to have to make a decision. They want one option (two at most). Just look at the myriad of threads on MR where people ask strangers for advice on what they should buy. When there was only one iPad model, the decision was, "do I want a tablet or not?" (but there was some question about which storage capacity model) It is more difficult for them now.

Paralysis by analysis is a thing.

17. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

LOL that's actually the deal of the century to any Canadian. Most of my friends pay $90 for 3GB. Yes, Canadian prices are off the charts insane.

18. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

A new iPad with the current iOS would probably feel like..... my PowerBookG4 running MacOS9

19. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

Hmmm....interesting approach. Watch (wearable) and Phone (pocketable) are devices that you naturally carry with you all day and in everyday situations. An iPad is not necessarily something I would carry around with me all day and in everyday situations.

Some examples;
    • Hiking - I would not bring an iPad along for a hike, and I would miss the camera on my phone for taking photos while on the trail.
    • Sailing - I would not bring an iPad because I want something waterproof that I can put in the pocket of my foul weather gear, and I would miss the camera, weather, tide and navigation apps.
    • Sightseeing - Kind of the same as hiking. I don't really want to carry an iPad around, but I would definitely put a phone in my pocket. A camera is essential when visiting new places, so a watch won't cut it. Also, there are all kinds of useful things you can do with phone apps that would be difficult with a watch; find restaurants, directions, landmarks, metro locations, etc..
    Anyway, at this stage for me, a phone with a nice sized screen is a pretty versatile device for most of my on-the-go needs. It would be hard for me to give that up.

20. advancewarsbest macrumors regular

I'd like a new iPad mini! Here's my wishlist;

Biggest wish: The iPad Mini was too wide by just a tiny margin. I feel a tiny sliming would be the perfect size for me. maybe with an edge to edge 9.7" display?.

The Obviously Givens: Latest Processor, latest Screen, Stereo Speakers, Louder speakers

Bonuses: Thinner, lighter, longer battery life

USB-C? only if the next iPhone is also USB-C would I want that.
    Face-ID? Not concerned with it yet

21. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Those people must have real troubles when they need to choose a house.

22. everygrainofsand macrumors newbie

everygrainofsand

Spot on mate. Your comment perfectly nails what most of us are thinking!

23. smulji macrumors 6502a

Watch autonomy isn't going to happen until Apple can come up with some breakthrough in battery technology. That's the only thing holding it back. Until then, the other way Apple can expand the market for Apple Watch is support it on major devices like Samsung Galaxy series

24. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they can keep the costs lower because they don't have to use the smallest size components?

25. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991