New 10-Inch iPad and Cheaper iPad Mini Coming 'As Early As This Spring'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2019.

1. DesertNomad macrumors member

DesertNomad

I really hope the mini 5 has a laminated screen and isn't a downgrade from the mini 4.

2. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Me thinks pencil 2, it more costly to produce and support two types.

3. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

At this point, the iPad mini doesn't really have a place, other than for little kids. The XS Max is 1.4" smaller in screen size, but packs in a ton of features, including, for most, pocketability. I hated the fist iPad Mini because it was just recycled iPad 2 parts. I would not expect a different strategy for internals on an upcoming generation, especially if the price is supposed to be lower. If I were to guess, it's iPhone 7/8 or iPad 5 internals on a smaller motherboard, with a smaller battery than a real iPad, and with a lower-quality screen and camera than essentially everything modern from Apple. The Mini doesn't really have a place in 2019.

4. Stoutman11 macrumors regular

I wish they would unify the ipad product more. Seems odd they are still producing new products with home buttons and bezels at this point.

5. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Tim Cook: You’re totally right. The price of the iPad is way too low. The new 2019 iPad will now start at $599.

6. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

Laminate the screen and I'll upgrade my 2017 model.

7. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

8. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

You're forgetting they have two completely different app stores XD I'd say there definitely is a place for the mini, perhaps now more than ever. iPad's just need to be able to make phone calls but that's like asking Apple to make a touchn screen laptop.

9. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

Screen readability in sunlight and I believe pencil support?

10. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Well, the last iPad had pencil support, so I would think they would continue that, but it's the laminated screen that I want. I am seriously considering getting a Chromebook if they start supporting windows and leaving Apple. BUT if Apple can make an updated iPad as thin as the Air 2 with pencil support, for $349, that might sway me back...but the way Apple has been raising prices, I doubt it.

11. JBGoode macrumors regular

JBGoode

But they still have to produce and support the first generation pencil for years to come anyway so another compatible device will make no difference. The pencil 2 can only be charged wirelessly via the iPad so I'm tending to doubt the new mini is going to support it unless they're introducing a completely new form factor which I also doubt.

12. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Won’t you still need a phone to link to the watch? By adding an LTE iPad mini you would then need 3 data plans. Your setup looks very attractive and I would love to do it but the 3 data plans would be a bit excessive.

13. xnu macrumors 6502

xnu

I agree. I would rather them standardize on a cable, It creates a headache having multiple devices.

The only thing I can think of, is they will use the mini to support the vast amount of existing lightning accessories for a few more years, which is admirable and unlike Apple if they had listen to those customers. Seems like it may be a good fit for education as well.

14. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

15. TheBing1980 macrumors member

TheBing1980

That’s just it!

I can supply my three kids with iPad mini’s for only $98 more than ONE XS Max.

Long live the mini!!! Hahahaha

16. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

My goodness, the Lightning connector needs to die already.

17. Aston441 macrumors 65816

What the hell is a laser powered camera lol. I ain't standin in front no laser camera for you to "take my picture" lol hell no.

18. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

USB-C is the way to go. However, they will need to re-design the iPad to support the Apple Pencil 2. I can't see that happening this year though :(

19. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

I'm guessing they will still sell new 2017 64gb 10.5 inch iPad Pro's for $649 throughout 2019.

20. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Why do people constantly insist that having fewer options is better for the consumer? Many people don't want Face ID.

21. MikeSmoke macrumors regular

All this talk about Pencil One or Pencil Two. It could be Pencil Three that works with all models. That would stop the fragmentation before it gets even worse.

22. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Slim pad again? Let’s see thw durability of it

23. code-m, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019

code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

Support for generations; when it comes to Apple means nothing when it concerns accessories. If we consider the transition to lightening from 30-pin, Apple does not shy away from pulling the pin sooner, the only exception at times is to introduce something on their top tier products "pro" then transition this down. Now that the Pro iPad's have Apple Pencil 2 support, the question becomes if the rest will stay a Pro feature.

24. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Yes, currently that’s the case. But I think it’s a foregone conclusion that Apple will continue to move towards Apple Watch autonomy as they did the iPhone. I mean, it’s easy to forget that it wasn’t long ago that every iPhone needed a Mac or PC to set up and for many of its functions. There was no way around it. You needed a Mac or PC to own a iPhone.

For now, I can just keep my iPhone docked at home. I have a 10GB plan; adding my Apple Watch is just $5. An iPad is another $10 bucks to share that data.

25. code-m macrumors 6502a

code-m

I say Apple should transition the design language across all iPad's regardless of pro or not. Just keep it simple and make the screen size the deciding factor. Have all iPads cellular with eSIM, given Apple is marketing this thing as a portable computer.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2019 ---
    $5 here,; $10 there, before you know it that plan cost over $100 and for what data. These carrier ISP's are laughing all the way to the bank for these "added" devices. I don't understand these add-on device plans, just link it to one account with one data plan. The carriers love to complicate billing so people are confused and out of frustration just pay it to not paying late fees. Genius.