New $100 Bill Introduced

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006

$100 bill gets a makeover to fight fakes
Ben Franklin's face still graces the currency, but some other images change

WASHINGTON - The folks who print America's money have designed a high-tech makeover of the $100 bill. It's part of an effort to stay ahead of counterfeiters as technology becomes more sophisticated and more dollars flow overseas, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36687863/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/

http://NewMoney.gov

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not bad but I never understood the need to totally redesign money. Security features notwithstanding they should leave it as it is.

On another note, will my money have the word "specimen" written on it if I were to scan it?

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
On another note, will my money have the word "specimen" written on it if I were to scan it?
Actually, if Photoshop detects currency, it won't even open the image. I tried to scan in a 20 out of boredom (and because I heard about that Photoshop "feature" and wanted to see if it was true) and it gave me a message about how counterfeiting money is bad and wouldn't open the file.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ What version and a scanner will scan, it doesn't "detect" what it is scanning.

su12

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Thank god for that.

At least we can preserve some of our founding ideologies in the United States today.

Cursor

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Fed Notes sure are getting colorful. I'm sure if Franklin knew his images was on these things, though, he'd be disgusted.

The US Constitution states:

• The Congress shall have power to...coin money, regulate the value thereof.

• No State shall...make any thing but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts.

Gotta go, I hear the PRSI forum calling.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Fed Notes sure are getting colorful. I'm sure if Franklin knew his images was on these things, though, he'd be disgusted.

The US Constitution states:

• The Congress shall have power to...coin money, regulate the value thereof.

• No State shall...make any thing but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts.

Gotta go, I hear the PRSI forum calling.
He would probably blow a few gaskets when he read "Federal Reserve" on the paper too.

su12

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Thank god for that.

At least we can preserve some of our founding ideologies in the United States today.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
That's about what the Pound is worth anyways.....

...and I like my plastic Australian Dollars!
The pound is still worth significantly more than the Australian Dollar...

The dollar does need to improve its security, the only way to check that the money is real is to check the paper feel between your fingers, it would be nice if there was at least a watermark as well, like the British have with the Queens head.

I'd guess more security than that is needed on the US$100 bill as its worth a substantial amount.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
Do they need any beta testers?
Really. I would like to volunteer to test these bills out. Just send me about 5 stacks of them so I can begin a limited test distribution and assist in random validity checks. First test will be a rather large one at the Apple store!

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Not bad but I never understood the need to totally redesign money. Security features notwithstanding they should leave it as it is.

They need to make it more accessible for people with vision impairments.

Ours are brightly coloured, have large numerals for the denominations and are of increasing size as the value goes up. Makes it much easier for blind and vision impaired people to use the currency.