Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be thicker than the previous-generation version, likely due to the inclusion of the mini-LED display. We've heard several rumors about the change in thickness, and now leaked design images have confirmed it.

iPad-Pro-.5mm-Thicker-Article.jpg

A source that designs accessories for Apple devices sent MacRumors a series of photos that feature exact dimensions for the new iPad Pro models, and while we can't share the images themselves, we can share the leaked measurements, which are in line with measurements shared by Mac Otakara in February.

The 12.9-inch model will measure in at 280.65mm long (11.04 inches), 215mm wide (8.46 inches) and 6.4mm thick (0.25 inches). With the exception of the thickness, those dimensions are about the same as the dimensions of the current iPad Pro, and that matches up with rumors we've heard suggesting that there will be few design changes to the device.

6.4mm is 0.5mm thicker than the thickness of the current 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which is 5.9mm thick. The change in thickness may be due to the inclusion of the mini-LED display, a feature that will be unique to the 12.9-inch model.

Prior rumors have indicated the camera lenses of the new iPad Pro models will protrude less, and there will be some small changes to the size of the camera bump. The design drawings suggest the camera bump will measure in at 27.67mm by 27.67mm, slightly larger than the prior 27mm x 27mm camera bump.

As for the 11-inch iPad Pro, the dimensions will remain largely the same, including the thickness. It will measure in at 247.6mm (9.74 inches) by 178.5mm (7.02 inches) by 5.9mm (0.23 inches).

There could, however, be more drastic changes to the camera bump size than on the 12.9-inch model. The current 11-inch iPad Pro has a camera bump that measures in at 26.7mm by 26.7mm, but the new version's camera bump may be smaller at 25.3mm by 25.3mm.

These design drawings were provided by a source that MacRumors has not worked with in the past, but the information we've received lines up with what we've heard from prior rumors. We can't verify the information with complete confidence, but it's likely that the details shared with us are accurate.

Aside from these minor design changes and the introduction of a mini-LED display for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the new models could feature Thunderbolt connectivity and faster A14X chips on par with the M1 chips in the current Mac lineup. Apple will announce the new iPad Pro models at tomorrow's "Spring Loaded" event.

We could also see the debut of the long-awaited AirTags, and there could also be other new low-cost iPad and iPad mini models in the works, plus there's a chance Apple will introduce updated iMacs. We have a full list of what to expect in our April Event Guide.

Article Link: New 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Will Be 0.5mm Thicker to Accommodate Mini-LED Display

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Damn, the 2018/2020 are just stunning devices to hold. 0.5mm increase won’t be much, but hopefully it doesn’t add to the weight by much.

Really curious to see how they play up this miniLED backlighting and how it really compares to the current LED backlighting in the iPad Pro. I’m a sucker for display improvements but for some reason this hasn’t really piqued my interest.

Last edited:

MacMikePro

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
Whatever this is perfectly fine, but you know what really grinds my gears?

Every day that goes by without any leak or rumor or so much as a whisper of any indication that the Face ID camera is moving to the long side of the iPad, right next to where the Apple Pencil charges, is a day wasted in my opinion. I use the iPad in landscape 95% of the time and my left hand is always covering the damn Face ID when I need to use it and it drives me nuts lol. Plus it makes way more sense to have it there when docked with the Magic Keyboard, so during FaceTime etc you're looking straight on, you know like the MacBook. MOVE THE DAMN CAMERA APPLE!

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I'm actually very happy about this. Bigger thickness => better rigidity and less prone to bending. 0.5mm might not be much but the improvement will certainly make a difference. The bending issue was the reason why I didn't buy in 2018 and now looking at the rumoured specs etc. it seems that I made the right call. Will get awesome device with better rigidity and much better screen. Patience seems to paid off. Tomorrow will be interesting :)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Fine by me! Make it even thicker for bigger battery too! I like how sturdy these thicker Pro models feel. It is a much more premium product than the thin aluminum design.
The actual casing will very likely be just as thin. This basically creates a slightly larger void in the middle for stuff to go in, but one half of one millimeter won’t make it any more sturdy. Could make it less so for the cellular devices which have those non-aluminum spots for the antennas.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
You can doubt all you want but Apple does this with pretty much every iPhone so why are you doubting is is beyond me.

I think iPhone 8 was the first to start, no? Larger devices getting more cameras (or better cameras features) etc.

Also, Mini LED probably doesn't make sense for 11 inch as much as it does for 12.9"

still in doubt that apple would only give mini LED to the larger display and not the 11. They are both pro devices, yet one would be more PRO then the other?

the pro max iphone 12 was only one that was suppose to have mmwave 5G yet the none max had it too and even the non pro.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I don't see how it can be a good thing to differentiate the pro models. I find the big one stupidly big. I know it serves some people well, but the original iPad size is still the optimal size for most things. That size was very deliberately chosen.

I am looking forward to replacing my 10.5 Pro since this chip is four generations newer, but if only the giant model has the cool new screen tech, I will wait another generation on principal. I'm not going to pay the Pro premium and not actually get all of that gen's pro features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.