*New* 15-inch Macbook Pro 2.66 -- Thanks Apple!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jovanboi, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jovanboi macrumors member

Well, right now I am the happiest guy in the world. About a month ago (the 10th to be exact) I purchased the 2.53Ghz 15-inch Macbook Pro. It was a great machine, no problems for the time I had it. Then, Apple came out with the updated 2.66Ghz version the other day. It started to dawn on me that maybe I could have *that*...the allure of the newness drew me in.

I called the Apple Store to ask if I would still be able to swap my machine for the new one, even though it was passed the 14 day window. The sales person was pretty adamant that I could not. That was cool, I mean really it was no big deal because I still had a great machine. However, being the Scorpio that I am, I just couldn't let it go and kept thinking on it for awhile.

Cut to this morning, after some online perusing, ended up calling Apple customer relations and explained my situation. I was very upfront and honest, telling them I am aware of store policy and that the Apple store would not swap out the new machine but asked if maybe they could anyway. Well, the extremely nice customer service person after 10 minutes came back on the line and told me that since I bought it within 30 days I should be able to go back into the store and swap out for the new machine due to the recent processor bump. He gave me a case number just in case I had any problems in the store.

So here I go, armed with my case number and original receipt, to the Apple store. I ended up talking to the guy at the door, who turned out to be the store manager! I explained the *entire* situation to him, showed him my case number, and ultimately asked if I could swap my machine out for the new one...I was pretty straightforward. He said "meh...why not" and even waived the restocking fee. In my mind I was like "really? what!? thats it?" After sweating bullets at the counter, afraid they'd change their mind or something, I left with a brand new 15-inch Macbook Pro. I still can't believe it.

I realize I didn't need to devote an entire thread to this story, but I had to get all this excitement out somewhere! Further, it gives credence to Apple's excellent customer service. In my 5-6 years as a Apple customer, they have always given me A+ service. I would gladly drop another 2K for them because they treated me like I was the only person in that store today, and they didn't really have to. Thanks Apple!!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

U lucky **stard...:eek: Enjoy your new machine *again*:):D

3. emotta macrumors member

did the same but i ended getting a 17 glossy! BUT! it has a slight scratch on the palm rest. I really dont want to go back to the store again. I want to see if i coulf live with it. It keeps staring at me while i type. oh well good luck with the new specs!

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

Lol! read my thread... how do you contact customer relations?

5. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

how does it get scratched on the palm rest without never being opened? the screen scratched it?

6. James Cole macrumors 6502

How? What? When? lol tell me mate what did yo do?

7. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

what i like best about ur story is u were honest throughout the whole thing. honesty is the best policy.. and u were rewarded for it! im a scorpion too by the way :)

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

wow i would say you got really lucky, I think you got the right CS agent and right store manager at the right time. Enjoy! :D

Oh and Kudos on being honest and not going in there with some crazy story or being unruly demanding the new machine.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Nice to hear another side of the Apple Store experience, where expectations were over met. I guess in the end... like any other human story... when you are honest and decent, good things can happen. Congrats.

10. jovanboi thread starter macrumors member

Honesty really is the best policy...I learned that 10-fold today!

11. D4F Guest

D4F

I had same situation with my iMac.
    it was 29 days after purchase and they swapped it without a word.

12. jovanboi thread starter macrumors member

Also to add, I wonder if anyone knows if the resolution on these 2.66 screens is different (maybe better) than the 2.53 screens? I speculate because after a few hours on this, I noticed that I don't have the eyestrain issues I had with the 2.53.

13. emotta macrumors member

Well i still had to pay the difference in cost. but they waived the restocking fee. honestly if you go looking for a fight then you will get one.

no it wasn't the screen it seems like its a stress fracture. not really sure but its definitely not from the screen.

[​IMG]

picture was taken w/ the iphone so it isnt the best of quality

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Gotta love customer satisfaction! The reason why you did get it was because you were polite and weren't demanding anything or complaining it was not fair. I find that if a customer calls in and is polite with me, I often give that customer complimentary things (restore discs, free support outside of warranty period, try my best to get hardware related issues fixed (sometimes for free) by speaking to my managers.) Make me enjoy my job, I'll make you enjoy your computer with no stress! :D

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Hah! Had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM but mine was less noticeable. Just returned it today and was given a replacement with no hassle.

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Gah I'm a little jealous. Do you think they would swap out a 2.53gHz unibody model from ~5 months ago? :D

17. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Did they do a checking to the old MacBook pro to see if it's the right one and to look if the thing is damaged?

18. emotta macrumors member

No. they just came out with the new 17. they do require that you have the original box and all the matirial.

19. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Well done and thanks for sharing the story with us :D

Goes to show why you should pay more for an Apple machine - quality service is always at hand.

20. gilesrulz macrumors member

it used to be their policy that they would do that for thirty days before a product bump, since they don't tell you when they're going to do one.

I'm not sure if it's still their policy, but it seems like it should still be.

21. eddietr macrumors 6502a

They agreed to swap out my 2.8 15" MBP for a 2.93 today!

I know that's fairly normal, but in this case it was a developer discount machine which specifically says no returns or exchanges. And it was a custom config (2.8Ghz) on top of that, which is also supposed to be no returns.

So I'm really happy with them making the exception. That extra 4% speed will make my work go so much faster. :)

22. evanxlee macrumors newbie

how long ago did you buy the 2.8?! that's awesome.

23. jovanboi thread starter macrumors member

Congrats!!

24. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Thats a great story. It reminds me why I choose to spend my money on Apple.

25. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze