Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New $249 iPod Tomorrow?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to sources, Apple is planning on announcing a new iPod model at the $249 price point tomorrow. The exact specs for the surprise iPod are unavailable, but educated speculation points to the possibility of another RED iPod.

Apple released a 4GB RED iPod nano in October. The product is part of the JoinRed initiative to fight AIDS in Africa.

The RED iPod has been in high demand, with speculation that Apple may introduce other RED products. An 8GB RED iPod nano or a 30GB RED iPod would fall into the $249 price point nicely.

Update: An 8 GB RED iPod nano is now available for $249 at the Apple Store.

[ Digg This ]

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
But tomorrow isn't Tuesday. :confused:

Personally, I like the Nano lineup as it is now. I don't entirely see the need for another Red iPod, but if it raises more money for AIDS, I'm not against it.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Why not abolish the Red iPods and get Apple to donate a %age of all iPods sold to the charity? I'm never going to buy a red iPod but would like to support the charity.

Comment

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Where's the thread where I get to bitch about too many ipod's no MB's?

I'm hoping it's at least another (PRODUCT)Red version, since it's for a cause. Otherwise, same as I keep saying, until I can check my email on my ipod, the ones I have now work just fine and I won't be upgrading.

Comment

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
Duh guys, can't you see? Apple is going to release a $249 red touch-screen 60GB iPod Video Phone tomorrow.

Gawd.

Comment

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Why not abolish the Red iPods and get Apple to donate a %age of all iPods sold to the charity? I'm never going to buy a red iPod but would like to support the charity.

Because it's about visually raising AIDS awareness among the public.

A mass amount of individuals seen with (PRODUCT)Red iPods is going to have a MUCH larger and longer lasting impact than a company donation, even if they had a press release and media event about it.

Comment

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Bono's campaign centers on the color red, so it's specifically tied to red products (actually, it's called Product (RED)). Without the color, the statement is really just a clever donation.

While it would certainly be a nice gesture, if Apple gave $10 of every iPod to the campaign, it would amount to a substantially larger contribution than most companies make to causes like this. After selling one million iPods, $10 million would have been raised for AIDS--Apple can do that in under a month. I'm not saying that Apple shouldn't, because it would be amazing, but it's not likely, especially given Apple's other community and philanthropic spending.

EDIT: Beaten!

Comment

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i don't think it will look as good in non-aluminum, high gloss plastic. if its the 'red' thing that is. BTW what sources, there is nothing cited. that is so random.

Comment

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
What's stopping you from making a donation?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, I can't believe anyone would think twice about not choosing a RED iPod Nano, over a Nano that doesn't donate a penny.

Rich.

Comment
Because it's about visuallyA mass amount of individuals seen with (PRODUCT)Red iPods is going to have a MUCH larger and longer lasting impact than a company donation

Impact? I don't think the wheels of science and research are powered by "impact". They need hard cash to solve this.

You can raise the awareness to everyone, but without the cash it's fruitless.

To say that someone's awareness is better than giving cash to a charity that funds research is harmful to that research!

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
oh, i thought they were talking bout and ipod not a nano, you sure that would be aluminum

OK...you're right. :eek: My assumption is that it would be the nano, but it could just as easily be the 30 GB regular iPod. And yes, I'm not sure I'd like the look of a bright red regular iPod.

Comment

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
They need hard cash to solve this.
Exactly. The more people who know about it the more likely people would donate. Thats why its called awareness.

To say that someone's awareness is better than giving cash to a charity that funds research is harmful to that research!
I'm pretty sure whats he saying is raising awareness while donating cash is the best. I don't think apple wouldn't do this unless there was a clear marketable advantage that could be seen. A RED iPod could drive further sales, add to their philanthropic prestige, and well just be an excuse for another color.

8GB Red. I would buy that. I bought the Blue cause I hate the idea of a Black Nano. Looked like crap. But, red. I would be all over that. Perfect. Red. 8GB. Slim. Stylish. Philanthropic. The only thing that could be better is if they gave me a free monkey with Aids when I bought one. You know help diminish the aided monkey population.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.