Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
You mean there isn't a little man sitting inside that you just hand aftermarket hardware to and have it installed for you? COME ON APPLE THINK DIFFERENT!

In other news, I heard there will be a new site soon called macwhiners.com

pcharles

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
What is the Fascination?

I am not sure that there is any real benefit to an SSD. It is supposed to give you faster access to your files, but they are so small you could not get many files on them. Furthermore, most of the data I have seen suggests the real world speed difference is not that significant.

For the $700 premium you could get a bunch of 2TB externals or even a 4TB DROBO with FW800. I would think that is more useful.

As for Apple not including the brackets, I would think that is because they know that people who want one will get one, and people who do not know what an SSD is will get the regular iMac. The iMac never has been, and never will be, about BYO computing, so I do not understand why people are surprised a bracket is not included.

willy-wonkapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
I am not sure that there is any real benefit to an SSD. It is supposed to give you faster access to your files, but they are so small you could not get many files on them. Furthermore, most of the data I have seen suggests the real world speed difference is not that significant.

For the $700 premium you could get a bunch of 2TB externals or even a 4TB DROBO with FW800. I would think that is more useful.

As for Apple not including the brackets, I would think that is because they know that people who want one will get one, and people who do not know what an SSD is will get the regular iMac. The iMac never has been, and never will be, about BYO computing, so I do not understand why people are surprised a bracket is not included.

i'm sure the zero moving parts thing doesn't mean anything

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
??? Some of you idiots EXPECT Apple (any company for that matter) to ship all the parts inside a computer equipped with parts you didn't order? Retarded.

> The bay for a second drive is in there. Obviously Apple took notice of the list of moders that hacked an ssd startup drive into the first gen 27" machines and have made an even easier way to get this done.
> It's better than not even bothering to put the bay in there incase you want this done. Which, I might add, would have you all bitching about too.
> Does it suck that there aren't other ssd size options? Yes. Is it really THAT over priced to charge $600 for a 2.5" 256gb ssd? Not according to NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...87&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20
> Some aftermarket company like OWC ($630 - 240gb ssd BTW) will make a sled for the iMac.

All is not lost. :rolleyes:

Hexero

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
So what do you have to do then? Take off the screen (Omg..), buy some SATA cables, tuckle with the motherboard? Will there be tutorials for this on youtube? I hope so. :(

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
What is the point of putting in an MLC based SSD w/o TRIM support in the OS? Its stupid. Also, if Apple would have added eSATA, like most other makers, then it would not be such a big deal.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand

You use the SSD for frequently used files like Operating system and Application files etc. You don't store all your music and videos on there as you don't need that sort of speed to play them. Even before SSD's people have partitioned their standard harddrives to isolate their files and operating system, those partition sizes were below the storage range of the current consumer range of SSD's.

userexec

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
Wait... People are mad that it's difficult to modify an all-in-one?

I'm pretty sure this is less about screwing over the miniscule percentage of people who would want to mod a Mac all-in-one and more about design goals and limitations of the current hardware layout. And the fact that they already make a customizable computer for pro users who would actually need those options.

And hold on... Isn't it good that they managed to fit another bay in there? What would everyone do if they doubled the RAM? Complain that you can't fit RAM coolers on it? Go on a tirade against capitalism?

Wow.

Ciotog

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2007
Also remember that Apple makes a nice little profit selling 256GB SSDs for $600. Highway robbery yes, but it is obviously working for them.

Yes, but there's no prfit on something that's not sold. I expect they would sell many many times the number they are selling if the price were not so exorbitant.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Not sure why people are freaking out. Paying $750 to Apple for an installed 256GB SSD is a great deal when compared to paying $630 to OWC for a 240GB SSD that you have to disassemble an iMac and figure out how to mount it.

willy-wonkapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure this is less about screwing over the miniscule percentage of people who would want to mod a Mac all-in-one and more about design goals and limitations of the current hardware layout. And the fact that they already make a customizable computer for pro users who would actually need those options.

And hold on... Isn't it good that they managed to fit another bay in there? What would everyone do if they doubled the RAM? Complain that you can't fit RAM coolers on it? Go on a tirade against capitalism?

Wow.

if you whine about people who whine, that would make you... a member of this forum! (and a whiner)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

Apple, in not having a mini tower below the specs of the MacPro but above those of the Mac Mini makes this more of a necessity for some people. Some of the anger I think, is not from it being hard to do, but rather it being needed to be done at all.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Apple, in not having a mini tower below the specs of the MacPro but above those of the Mac Mini makes this more of a necessity for some people. Some of the anger I think, is not from it being hard to do, but rather it being needed to be done at all.

I agree with that theory. I'm not sure I'd buy one but it would be nice to at least have the choice.

rdupuy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
the issue

Ssd is crucial for acceptable speeds in certain use cases.

I have to have an SSD, my current mac, a mac mini, has one.

No need for offense. I'd like to consider the iMac, but Apple's typical choice of SSD, the toshiba drive, is not acceptable. That drive has abysmal performance for my use case.

- too would like a choice from Apple that would work for me - but it seems like I'd have to replace the 1tb drive and ignore the 2nd bay - a pity.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
This is why you buy a Mac Pro. The iMac is the mainstream machine for people who do not want to deal with messing with the innards of their computer. The Mac Pro is the power users and as such gives users the flexibility of installing and upgrading its internal components with relative ease.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
I look at this yesterday, and you would need both the mounting bracket of some sorts (if it even fits in the rear housing of the non-SSD version) and new power and data cables for the hard drives. Also, the logic board has to be removed to get to that spot.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Oh boo hoo. GM didn't install an ECU that can run the V8 as well if I decide to put it in later instead of the V6 in my Pontiac G8( I don't own a G8, just using it as an example).

Apple isn't evil for not putting in the hardware to install a SSD as well if you didn't order it.

Glad you used that example. It goes hand in hand with that other have been saying about why they would put it in there. It's part of standardized manufacturing. I don't think the average user understand how many unused plugs and brackets are in vehicles (or other consumer products with a varying number of options) to fit a number of consumer options. It's cheaper for manufacturer to purchase one wiring harness to cover all options then to carry multiple varieties to cover different options.

You add in the cost of and difficulty of training assembly persons on varying manufacturing processes and you run into problems. Standardized manufacturing processes and QA control go hand in hand. That's why it's cheaper in the long run to installed extra unneeded parts then to put faith in assembly workers to follow all the processes in multiple options manufacturing process.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
In my opinion a $2000 computer is NOT a low-end computer for people that don't wanna mess with the hardware. When I pay 2 ****ing grand on a computer I'd like to be able to change the harddisks. HDs and RAM are supposed to be user-changeable, no matter which computer it is, and they mostly are. Now I have to consider going for the SSD-version and buy my own 2TB drive. Is it easy to change the 3,5" drive?

Who wants to bet they use the 3,5" bay for the SSD-disk when you only order it with an SSD?

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Total jackass move. :rolleyes:

In other news, iFixit, OWC, transintl and others are sitting up tonight drawing plans for a $0.07 piece of stamped aluminum that they can sell to us for $50.

And you know what? I think I'll buy one—not because I have an iMac (or plan to) but because I like to support the folks who make life tough for the jackasses.

hows it a jackass move? If the imac is built normal, they build it normal. If its with SSD, they mount one. Why put an empty bracket and redesign the whole inside for a BTO option few people will make?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.