New AirPods Launch With H1 Chip, Hey Siri, Up to 50% More Talk Time, and Optional Wireless Charging Case

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today in a press release introduced new second-generation AirPods powered by an Apple-designed H1 chip that enables hands-free "Hey Siri" functionality and up to 50 percent more talk time compared to the original AirPods.

[​IMG]

Apple says the H1 chip in the new AirPods makes switching between the iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac up to two times faster, and enables up to a 1.5x faster connection time for phone calls and up to 30 percent lower gaming latency.

Hands-free Siri allows AirPods users to say "Hey Siri" to change songs, make phone calls, adjust the volume, get directions, and more.

The new AirPods get up to three hours of talk time per charge, compared to up to two hours with the previous generation. Other battery life figures remain the same, with up to five hours of listening time per charge and more than 24 hours of total battery life from extra charges stored in the case.

The new AirPods have the same outward design as the original and remain available in white only.

The new AirPods are available to order on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app starting today with a wired charging case for $159, the same price as the original AirPods, and with a wireless charging case for $199. Both options will be available at Apple Stores and select resellers starting next week.

[​IMG]

The wireless charging case is also available individually for $79 for use with both the first-generation and second-generation AirPods. An LED light indicator located on the front of the case shows the charge status at a glance.

Apple also announced that free engraving is now available on any AirPods charging case for orders placed on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app.

Article Link: New AirPods Launch With H1 Chip, Hey Siri, Up to 50% More Talk Time, and Optional Wireless Charging Case

2. drew05 macrumors regular

Did not see this coming at ALL. Not even an announcement at an event.

3. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

but they haven't announced the left handed schnitzel stick with 1tb of ram I wanted!

4. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

5. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

No design update to the iMac, but they added the wireless charging case to the AirPods!

The horror.

6. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

7. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

No space gray option :(

$79 for the wireless charging case. Yikes.

8. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

Well isn't this a great Wednesday! Ordering right now....

9. DoctorApple macrumors newbie

Is this officially the second gen or just a wireless charging upgrade?

10. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Disappointed that they still don't have noice cancelling.

11. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

I'm going to wake up every day and expect a new Apple product launching.

12. stevenisHAUNTED macrumors regular

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Why didn’t they launch these for Christmas last year? They probably would have gotten more sales that way.

14. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Will not buy until Airpower is available. Also want them in Black

15. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

16. cyberlocke macrumors regular

cyberlocke

Has Apple ever done product refreshes / updates like this—no event, this many products, trickled out over a week? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

17. profets macrumors 601

Would have been nice for the 159 USD AirPods to get the wireless charging case - does seem weird to see multiple options for buying AirPods. But I guess a bit of choice is nice, and if the price hike for wireless charging was really necessary that it's not forcing everyone to pay $199 regardless of whether they'd charge them wirelessly or not.

Also quite nice how they're selling the charging case separately.

18. recoil80 macrumors 68020

And Tim Apple just wrote a tweet with himself drawing AirPods on an iPad, too funny!

Too bad the Qi charging case is really expensive, for now I'll stick with mine and charge it over Lighting as usual. The case costs €89, but if you buy it with AirPods it is "only" €50 more, so AirPods with the Qi case are €229 now, really expensive. As far as I know they don't sell the old AirPods anymore, they do sell them with the Lighting only case but I guess it is the new model with the new H1 chip

19. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502

AMTYVLE

20. lyngo macrumors 6502a

This is phenomenal news and ahead of the keynote next week. It makes you wonder what sort of things will be announced next week. I thought that they would be announcing all these products for the event at that point in time.

21. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

22. ChineseBots macrumors newbie

2nd Gen.

23. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

They dont isolate sound at all so NC would be pointless.

24. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Very interested to see what the real world improvements are, especially claims of improvements to latency and device switching improvements - I’m always switching between iPad & IPhone at work, and both plus Apple TV at home.