New AirPods Model Numbers Show Up in Bluetooth Database, Hinting at Upcoming Release

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

New AirPods listings were added to the Bluetooth Special Interest Group's regulatory database on November 1, 2018, suggesting a refreshed version of the accessory could be coming in the near future.

The AirPods listing, noticed first by MySmartPrice, features model numbers A2031 and A2032, which seems to correspond to a left AirPod and a right AirPod, both of which have completed the Bluetooth Qualification Process.

[​IMG]

Apple's hardware version number is listed as REV1.1, compared to the REV1.0 hardware listing of the original AirPods. The new AirPods connect to an iPhone, iPad, or Mac using Bluetooth 5.0, according to the details provided, but little else about them can be gleaned from the listing.

[​IMG]

Rumors have suggested that Apple is working on second-generation AirPods with an improved wireless chip that supports hands-free "Hey Siri" functionality. AirPods with "Hey Siri" support were shown off in a September Apple video when the iPhone launched, but upgraded AirPods did not make an appearance at Apple's September or October events.

We've also been expecting a new AirPods wireless charging case for use with the AirPower, but Apple's Charging Case for the AirPods is not listed in the Bluetooth database, so it is not known if an updated version accompanies the revised version of the AirPods.

[​IMG]
    A new AirPods Wireless Charging Case was shown off when AirPower was first announced​

If these new AirPods are indeed going to launch with a Charging Case that supports wireless charging, it could also mean that Apple is planning to launch its AirPower charging mat in the near future. The AirPower was first introduced in September 2017 and is meant to charge the iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods all at once.

[​IMG]

Difficulties with heat management, interference, and inter-device communication are said to have delayed the AirPower. Apple has removed most AirPower mentions from its website, but packaging materials for the recent iPhone XS and XS Max continue to mention AirPower, leaving hope that it's still coming at some point.

We don't know when to expect upgraded AirPods to launch, but the first AirPods were added to the database on November 20, 2016 ahead of a December 13, 2016 launch date. If Apple follows the same timeline, we could see new AirPods in late November or early December.

Article Link: New AirPods Model Numbers Show Up in Bluetooth Database, Hinting at Upcoming Release

2. L_dorado macrumors newbie

Just please please please make them hold longer than the poor 2h talking, without any noise!

3. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

4. Enclavean macrumors member

Enclavean

Possibly AirPods 2 release without AirPower?

Weird how they wouldn´t just have announced that at the event we just had though

5. Ma2k5 macrumors 68000

Ma2k5

6. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

I so hope they have some kind of volume controls, like a touch-sensitive surface. Would be a instant buy from me and it's the reason I'm skipping this current version.

7. zahuh macrumors regular

Thank you for doing research and telling us the number of days the last time they got certification and the product launching. I appreciate that extra step of research

8. larrylaffer macrumors 6502a

larrylaffer

What they really need to add is support for triple tapping each pod so we can actually have full control without having to touch our phones.

9. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Mute option through gesture (single or double tabbing) for the microphone please.

10. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Incoming price change. AirPods will now be $200, because we know you’ll buy them anyway.

11. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

It's just not happening.

Controlling the volume from the digital crown on Apple Watch is far superior anyway.

12. Shiro_Simba macrumors regular

Shiro_Simba

13. AngerDanger, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I have to double-take when I see the new v old image; they're just so different!

newvold.gif

14. zmon macrumors regular

zmon

Would be a nice Christmas present, I've been holding out for a pair for a while now since that video since Hey Siri functionality would be useful. I imagine the 1's will be listed for 110ish for the sales at the end of the month to get rid of supplies.

15. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

Noise cancellation. Sole reason I would buy.

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

17. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

If you’re not going to release AirPower, at least release this.

18. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I think we'll see some of the products that were not announced at the last event, be launched with press releases before Christmas. AirPods, AirPower (if they want to hit the 2018 launch) and possibly even spec bumps to the MacBooks.

19. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

20. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

The hard plastic design of the ear tips does not conform to the inside of everyone's ears. It seems like Jonathan Ive had the current AirPods molded to fit his own ears and said "screw everyone else".

Newer AirPods should use interchangeable gel tips. The case should also fit AirPods with the largest tips attached.

21. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

An AirPods case with wireless charging doesn't require AirPower. They'll work with any Qi charger.

22. Thenephi macrumors newbie

Thenephi

Well that was timely. *empties apple.com shopping bag*

23. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I'd guess they'll release these in time for the holidays, but not the AirPower charger - I have a feeling that will never be released.

24. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

AirPods are so good I'd consider buying them even if only a left or a right part was available! :D

25. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I really hope for black ones. If they release them in black I would buy a pair.