New AirPower Image With iPhone XS Appears Within Source Code on Apple's Website

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Based on source code from the AirPods page of Apple's website in Australia, MacRumors has uncovered what appears to be a new image of the AirPower with an iPhone XS and the new AirPods wireless charging case on it, providing yet more evidence that Apple still plans to release the wireless charging mat at some point.

[​IMG]

Apple updated its AirPods page yesterday after unveiling a second-generation pair, and this image was intended to showcase the new optional wireless charging case on a Qi-enabled charging mat, but Apple never ended up featuring the image publicly. We found it hidden within a CSS stylesheet.

A similar AirPower image with an older iPhone X was removed from the AirPods page yesterday after the wireless AirPods charging case was announced:

[​IMG]

While the AirPower might still be coming after all, a specific release date remains unclear. The Wall Street Journal yesterday reported that Apple approved production of the AirPower earlier this year and reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said the AirPower will be released within the first half of 2019.

There was some hope that Apple would announce the AirPower today after announcing new iPads on Monday, new iMacs on Tuesday, and new AirPods on Wednesday, but that never materialized. We also didn't get a new iPod touch, although Kuo and other sources have indicated that one is coming at some point this year.

AirPower is designed to charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8 and newer, Apple Watch Series 3 and newer, and AirPods when they are placed in the new optional wireless charging case introduced yesterday. The images on the AirPods page have simply never showed the Apple Watch on the mat.

AirPower was in fact shown with an Apple Watch on it when previewed on stage and on the Apple Watch page earlier last year:

[​IMG]

Thanks to Michael Bateman for tipping MacRumors.

Article Link: New AirPower Image With iPhone XS Appears Within Source Code on Apple's Website

2. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

3. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

4. munpip214 macrumors regular

Hmm, only two devices? Maybe they gave up on Apple Watch support? If so, it better not cost more than $100

5. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

6. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Are there any new iPod Touch pics? (Wishful thinking, I know)

7. Trik macrumors 6502

I haven't seen an image with the watch on it in awhile, I wonder if they are abandoning also charging the Apple Watch on it at the same time?

8. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Is it just me or does it look shorter. Maybe that’s because that’s an XS max

9. iMatt. macrumors 6502

I don't think I'd bother buying it if this is the case

10. mozumder macrumors 6502a

I don't know why anyone would want this, considering you can get wireless chargers for $15 at Wal Mart. Want to charge multiple devices? Just get two of them.

..and now I'm wondering what happens if you placed two chargers on top of each other...

11. kognos macrumors member

12. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Are they trolling us? Surprised to see no new Apple products this morning. Maybe it will drop later in the day. I'm getting used to new Apple products every day!

Do you guys think in 20 years Apple will be able to release a new product every day of the entire year? With how much they're expanding into new categories I wouldn't doubt it. Kinda ridiculous.

15. tomhall macrumors newbie

tomhall

16. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

17. ELman macrumors member

18. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I wonder if this means the Apple Watch won’t support AirPower. This is the only reason why I wanted AirPower, because a mat that allows you to place your Apple Watch anywhere to wirelessly charge doesn’t exist from any manufacturer.

19. cmaier macrumors G5

Need more than that? Just stand under high tension power lines. Can’t carry them all while traveling? Just hire a Sherpa! All the cables constantly getting tangled up? Earn your scouting knots merit badge!

20. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

The pile of bills I set aside for this item is half gone already because of the termites.... I will believe it when I see it at this point.

21. wanderlust19283 macrumors newbie

wanderlust19283

I think the point is to be able to place any device in any position or orientation and have it charge. It's more of a convenience thing than an absolute necessity IMO.

22. cmaier macrumors G5

The watch will support AirPower, because AirPower supports Qi. It’s fine. You are reading to much into one photo.

23. recoil80 macrumors 68020

It does look different, seems like is shorter and taller than the previous images.

24. AngerDanger, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

It appears as though they've tweaked the dimensions slightly. I scaled the original AirPower image from Apple's site to match this one based on the AirPods case, and the new one is bigger.

original-v-new.gif

EDIT: I tried scaling the new and old images to match the size of the iPhones together, and once I did that, the difference between the two was marginal if there at all:

original-v-new-redo.gif

The new AirPower image appears to depict a design that is the same size as the previous.

25. scottct1 macrumors regular

scottct1