New Apple Folio Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LS3 POWER, Nov 7, 2018.

1. LS3 POWER, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

LS3 POWER macrumors 65816

LS3 POWER

i am loving my new 11 inch iPad, and really love the new feel of the squared off body, but once I put Apples new smart folio case on it, holding the iPad is very uncomfortable, the edges of the case are very sharp feeling. Anyone else notice that?

As comfortable as this new design is in your hand, I’m surprised the case ruins that feel.

2. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

I was in the Apple Store tonight picking up the new iPad, and I saw the folio case on display. Was not a fan of it at all.

3. Winryito macrumors regular

Winryito

Hate it hate it hate it. But there’s no other option, I miss the Smart Cover.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Me too, really miss the Smart Cover, hopefully they will be releasing one.

5. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

And you guys are just hating the case... imagine how it feels like with KEYS on the back of the device sticking into your fingers while holding it back folded!!!

6. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

I don’t think Apples magnet placemat is going to allow the old style Smart Cover to work, even if it had the new shape. But we can hope.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    Agree. I used the old ASK a lot, but I’m not sure I’m sold on the design of the new design. I can tell you this, I do not like the feel of the key when folded back.

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I do not think they will be releasing a smart cover. If the smart case was leather, I would be happy with it but the silicone feels cheap and takes away from the premium feel of the product.

Hopefully Twelve South or Nomad come up with a nice magnetic folio.

8. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

The reason why there is no Smart Cover and why Apple made this case a folio case is very simple. This new iPad is very fragile. It will bend much easier than the older iPads and the rigid back of the folio and keyboard case gives the device additional toughness to prevent it from bending.

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I tried to bend my iPad last night. No dice.

10. Jimx26 macrumors member

Poppycock.

11. T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

Anyone try folio and keyboard on lap? ASK is much more stable than it used to be. Folio doesn’t have that much surface area, looks like it’d fall over quite easily on uneven surface.

12. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

I used it for two days and just can't stand the sharp edges. I just filled out the return request and boxed it up. Tomorrow it goes back to Apple.

I'm now searching for the perfect case. Have this one on order for travel arriving next month:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7VK7K8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one for at home. For $20 it will have to do until a better one shows up

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G448QYX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I find the edges sharp too. Does the folio smart keyboard have as sharp edges ?

Thanks

14. gjr74 macrumors member

gjr74

The sharp edges might be a dealbreaker for me too. Does anyone at Apple actually try to use these things and see how they feel before signing off on them? At least if it were leather I could imagine the edges would soften up, but alas...

15. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

What are you all complaining about??? I’m getting great beard shaves with mine:p

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I agree with the sharp edges and that it feels much nicer without the folio. But, as far as cases go I actually like it. And since it’s so easy to take on/off I think it will work great for me. At home I hold the ipad so I can remove it from the folio. At work I use it propped up by the folio so the edges are not an issue.

17. thislsmadness macrumors member

thislsmadness

Yeah, I said the exact same thing in another thread. The sharp edges are awful and the back texture just feels cheap. For $20 I might have tolerated it but definitely not worth $100. Im going to use until the return window is up and hopefully something better is out.

18. Dexterama macrumors regular

I have the folio and this has been my experience. It collapses a little too easily when I want the iPad to sit upright or at an angle. I have to be more mindful to not move the iPad around too much in these positions, else it will collapse. And it doesn’t help that the 12.9 is top heavy.

I don’t have the keyboard folio but when I tried it in the store the magnets are quite strong. The 12.9 was stable in the upright position. On one hand, the regular folio is light and it can be used at a low angle suitable for writing, but the magnets are not strong enough. For $99, it’s awful. With the keyboard folio, the magnets are strong and the overall design provides more stability, but it adds weight to the iPad and can’t be used at a low angle. It’s too much of a compromise with either product.

19. T-Bob, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

Hmph, this is a bit annoying. Ideally I’d like a cover like the ASK but without the bulk of the keyboard. It really does make an excellent stand now with the two positions, but it is far from ideal always pairing the tablet with a keyboard even if you don’t need one (not to mention expensive!).

This is probably more of an issue with the 12.9, but the 11 needs stabilizing as well. I have never owned or used the past or present folios, but know the last gen ASK falls over very easily when folded back on itself (in a similar position to folio) due to the large height of the tablet. I am sure the magnets will stop it from falling now, but the base is still very small, so as you say the entire thing can topple over unless its on a flat surface.

20. scotio200 macrumors regular

Got my folio today and getting the same issue, too sharpe to hold. However it’s very easy to remove the iPad so when I am using handheld for an extensive time I just take the case off, then snap it back on when I’m done.

Got 14 days to return it to the apple store, so will be on the lookout for an alternative.

21. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Lots of us are. We need to keep in touch and share when a good one if found.

22. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Most don’t yet accommodate the pencil 2.

Has anyone looked at the new cases from Pad and Quill? They may be heavy.

23. lsh macrumors 6502a

What are the chances that Apple will come out with other smart folio color options?
    I see the 10.5 has lots of options. Were those all there at launch?

24. Ariaizadi macrumors regular

They are probably testing the market since this style of case is new and the price point is different than the smart covers/cases. In the future I can see them doing the core colors like Taupe, Saddle brown, and midnight blue.

25. BayouTiger macrumors 6502

BayouTiger

This is disappointing. A better case and pencil was going to be one of my reasons to upgrade. I really dont care for the Smartcase on my 10.5. I find the magnetic attachment too weak and have issues with it falling off when no using it. Keyboard OK, but cover not so much. It also adds too much weight making it almost as heavy as my MacBook Pro.