New Apple Park Drone Video Shows Off Steve Jobs Theater Ahead of Next Week's Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Construction on Apple Park is nearing completion and Apple is putting the finishing touches on the Steve Jobs Theater where next week's iPhone-centric event will be held, according to a new video shared this evening by drone pilot Duncan Sinfield.

Sinfield's video offers up a close look at the now-finished theater and it depicts landscaping progress at the campus, both inside and outside of the ring-shaped main building.

The theater is a 20-foot tall glass cylinder that overlooks the main campus building and is surrounded by greenery. It boasts the world's largest freestanding carbon fiber roof and spans 120,000 square feet with an underground auditorium area that seats 1,000 people.

[​IMG]

Apple named the theater in honor of late Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs, who envisioned the design for Apple Park before his death in 2011.

Apple's iPhone keynote, which takes place on Tuesday, September 12, will be the inaugural event at the Steve Jobs Theater. Apple announced Apple Park as the location for the event when it sent out media invites last Thursday.

Article Link: New Apple Park Drone Video Shows Off Steve Jobs Theater Ahead of Next Week's Event

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

3. FtrV8 macrumors regular

FtrV8

4. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Such a big year for Apple. Glad to see the stars aligning.

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Very nice building. Is it just me or does the theater look pretty small?

6. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

I think that's just the entrance. The actual theater is underground.

7. Rojaaemon macrumors newbie

When I look at that incredible office building I can't help thinking, with anticipation and hope, "Those long-standing iTunes bugs are going to be eliminated now!"

8. nibfiledotcom macrumors newbie

nibfiledotcom

It's a very cool building, but I can't help but see a bathroom sink drain stopper when they show it from high angles.

9. madaski macrumors newbie

I feel for the guys that have to keep all those solar panels clean.

10. titrau macrumors 6502a

titrau

[​IMG]

After i saw this ... it make i feel apple will stand stronger in market and will product coolest stuff in future ,

11. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the staging. As below average as the presentation was, the Note 8 staging/floor/lighting was amazing. Hopefully they commit to doing a little bit more than "a stage and a screen" for the keynote.

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm glad people here seem to think all this is a net positive for Apple... Because I'm afraid the new campus is a sign of all that is wrong with Apple.

1) It's an ungodly and completely unnecessary cost (with no tangible benefit)
    2) The giant, communal workspace is disruptive and upsetting to employees. Could facilitate the leaving of crucial talent
    3) People like Jony Ive dedicated a significant portion of their time and effort in the design and construction process, diverting attention away from the product line.
    4) the migration of employees from Infinite 1 loop to here will result in a reduction of productivity spread out over months.

Making a pretty, round building isn't going to increase productivity or make more people want to work at Apple. It's cool though...

13. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Now that's somewhere you wanna work! Over a thousand trees! Lots of fresh air! Spacious! Luxurious! It's so big, yet powered by 100% renewable energy! I'm pretty sure these guys there would be using that theater to watch all the movies in their spare time

Love this company for this reason!

14. abhibeckert macrumors regular

abhibeckert

It's not "ungodly" at all. Just a few months of the company profit will pay for it. If you or I were to build a house for ourselves, we'd spend far more than that.

And it does have benefits, for example people who work together on the same project won't need to drive for half an hour through heavy city traffic to whatever small building the other people are working in. Which benefits the whole city (less traffic). Not to mention they replaced concrete with (mostly) trees. Cities need more trees.

Anyone who wants privacy will just have internal walls put up. Easy, cheap, quick.

Apple has plenty of other people who can work on those products with a little direction from Ive/etc. No harm done, and it's good to spread the work around incase somebody decides to leave.

They had 25,000 employees in the city a couple years ago, and surely more today. Only half their employees can fit in this new building and less than a quarter at 1 Infinite loop – people at the old campus can stay where they are if moving would hurt productivity.

15. Michael Scrip, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

Michael Scrip macrumors 601

1) Apple has the money. And they will make more money. If the cost to build the new campus was $5 billion... they can make that much profit in 45 days.

However... it would be unwise for a company like HTC, for instance, to spend $5 billion on a new campus.

2) and 3) Possibly... but it's not the end of the world. (I admit I don't have experience with open floorplans nor Sir Jony's time-management skills...)

4) A couple of months? Or 60 days to move a few miles down the road? A single person can migrate in an afternoon... while an entire department of stuff might take a week. I don't think they are taking the old furniture though... so that'll lighten the load. :)

There will probably be some distraction... but what are ya gonna do...

And remember... there are thousands of Apple employees RIGHT NOW spread out in leased office space all over Silicon Valley. That can't be good for productivity.

At least 13,000 of them will be in the same (albeit large) campus. And that leads back to the end of your point #1... I think there is absolutely a tangible benefit to have as many employees as possible in the same general location.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 5, 2017 ---
    You beat me to it. :)

16. verniesgarden macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

Curious to what the theatre name would have been had he not passed away.

17. Superhappytree, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

Just looks better and better the more I see it.

For a quick comparison here’s a 2 week difference:

24th August

98999BDB-DDED-4111-B400-52E3182F3205.png

Today

81302843-FFE9-4A3E-8A9E-D8DC3212A0F3.png

18. faded_glory macrumors member

faded_glory

Anyone here seen the film The Circle with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson?

19. WJRush2000 macrumors newbie

WJRush2000

The screens at the Note 8 event were REALLY cool, but the more I watched the more I realized that it’s actually pretty distracting and impractical. Any images shown on both wall screens looked bent, and I got a little annoying and slightly overwhelming to look at after awhile. It made me appreciate the simple screen and that plain gradient background Apple always uses. Anyways, that’s just my opinion.

20. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Looking at the guys in white shirts and black pants strategically standing in certain locations, kinda looks like they are already doing rehearsals.

I hope we get another view right before the event.

21. scupking macrumors 6502a

You do know this campus was Steve Jobs idea. You can watch his 2011 presentation on it.

22. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Yeah, I love the building from the outside but the working areas don't appear to be particularly conducive to a state of deep, undisturbed concentration if this is any indication:

apple-park-standing-desks.jpg

23. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

24. anshuvorty macrumors 6502

anshuvorty

It's terrible. Watched it when it came out on VOD. The story is a mess, even the acting can't save the movie and the dialogue in some parts is just cringe worthy. IMHO. However, the one thing the movie got right was the corporate culture or the outsider's perspective of what a modern Facebook/Apple/Google-esque company culture might be like.

25. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Looks like 3 sets of tables outside, guessing it’s food, probably be set up for the event as well.