New Apple Store Opening Greensboro, NC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tMac85, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

This may have been posted before, but I dont care. I just found out. A new apple store is going in at 'The Shops at Friendly" Center, In Greensboro, NC. No exact date as to when the grand opening is ( sometime late march) but I will be there in line. Its WALKING distance from my house!

Any one else on here live close or in the Greensboro area know any info?

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I finally leave the hell-hole that is Greensboro, and something decent finally happens there. /sigh

Maybe I will stop by the store when I am in town for some performances.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Some of it is really nice actually. I love Asheville and the Appalachian mountains are beautiful. I just found Greensboro to be a very backward thinking town, considering it's size and ethnic diversity.

Though I am glad Gboro is getting a Apple store, as the drive to Durham was a tad annoying. We just need one in SC now.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Bite your tongue! North Carolina is fantastic.

First, great weather. A bit hot in the summer, sure, but the rest of the year is fantastic. It never gets too cold in the winter.

It's got both the mountains and the ocean. Have you ever driven through the Blue Ridge Parkway? It's breathtaking, and you can stop on wide shoulders by the road and climb. There are also protected national parks you can visit. And then if you like wild beaches, North Carolina has a coastline that is longer than the distance from the state to New York. This is the coastline where man first took to the air, so that's not too shabby either. As if that weren't enough, it has some of the best golfing in the world, if you're into that.

It has one of the leading biotech areas in the country (the Research Triangle Park), along with three excellent universities in close proximity (Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, and NC State). There are, in addition, over a dozen other excellent public and private institutions, and the UNC public university system is one of the best systems in the country. Chapel Hill, after all, was the first public university in America.

Also, in the city of Charlotte, North Carolina has one of the key banking centers of the United States. Bank of America and Wachovia, the first and third largest banks in the nation, are headquartered there.

For all you soda fans, Pepsi was invented in North Carolina.

And property value is still quite low in most of the state, making it possible to buy a nice house on a nice piece of land. That said, Charlotte is one of only three real estate markets in the country with appreciating value.

And who can forget the fact that some of the best college basketball in the country makes its home in North Carolina. I'm a Duke fan, but I guess UNC and NC State are, by objective standards, great teams, too.

There is a lot of tobacco and there are a lot of hogs, that's true. There is poverty, especially in the Eastern-most and Western-most parts of the state. But at the same time, there is a remarkable emphasis on the public education system, stewarded in particular by Governor Jim Hunt and Governor Terry Sanford before him.

The state's not as liberal as I'd like, but it's more liberal than you'd think. In 1963, Governor Terry Sanford fought to desegregate North Carolina schools, and even sent his son to one.

PS: And now, it's got three Apple stores.

6. tefleming macrumors 6502

2nd Largest Banking Center in the country, second only to NYC.

I thought we were discussing why NC is good? (I keed, I keed)

I thought most of the tobacco was gone?

Good enough for me :D

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

do all the Mac Stores have lawns on their roof or is it just the one in Chicago? I just noticed it yesterday.

I heard it helps lower energy costs or something, etc. Looks pretty cool.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was mildly kidding. I actually have plans to be in NC come May after I return from New York. If it is a hell whole I'm sure I'll find out. ;)

Lawns? Really? I wonder if they can hang out up there.

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Apparently it's the only Apple store with a "Green Roof". As it turns out, it isn't quite grass but a grass-like plant called "Sedum kamtschaticum", chosen for it's ability to survive in harsh climates with no maintenance.

treehugger.com link

[​IMG]

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Bo', you need to go out East. There's tons of tobacco there. There was tobacco growing adjacent to my school in high school. And one of my friends works for a certain Democratic congressman from Eastern North Carolina, and he told me that the hang up for Democrats in NC with the SCHIP legislation was that it was going to be funded with cigarette tax increases...This was a big problem for constituents. So tobacco is alive and well in the state.

Wow, I live right down the street from this store and I never knew this. Huh, you learn something new every day. Now I'm going to go over there and see if I can catch a look at it from some angle or another. I wonder what building I can go into to check.

11. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Well, it's right across the street from the Virgin Megastore I think. Maybe "Guess Co." or Banana Republic as well? I forget where I was when I saw it originally.

12. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

THANK YOU. NC is one of the most desirable states to live in. best of both worlds, and then some.

and make that 4 apple stores. Greensboro( Friendly), Raleigh(crab tree), Durham(southpoint)and Charlotte( southpark)

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Oh! I forgot about Crab Tree! I don't think I've been to that one. I've just been to the South Point store (which I think was the first--we'd drive all the way from Charlotte) and then the South Park one, obviously.

14. tefleming macrumors 6502

I'd love to, but they spent so much of the road money out there, that I'd be driving on gravel all the way to the Mecklenburg County line.

I exaggerate, of course, but there is a reason that I'm supporting McCrory for Governor (Reasonably moderate Republican from Charlotte vs. LG from New Bern or Treas from Granville Co)

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Four, actually:

• SouthPark Mall, Charlotte (Sharon and Fairview Roads)
    • Southpoint, Durham (right off I-40 at exit 275 or so)
    • Crabtree Valley, Raleigh (Glenwood Avenue at I-440)
    • new store in Greensboro
    And now I see someone already mentioned this.

16. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

NC is an alright state. On normal years we have exactly 4 seasons that really stick to their dates. It's quite nice because we get a cold winter and a hot summer. And as already said, mountains and beach!

The South Park Apple store is quite nice- not too far of a drive from me.

17. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Pepsi was invented in good 'ol New Bern! But, it kinda sucks here. Otherwise, I love NC. It has the best of both worlds: beautiful mountains and gorgeous beaches.

I really wish we could get an Apple Store closer to where I live. It's really annoying to drive to Durham just to see the latest and greatest Apple has to offer. As for Raleigh, its closer but navigating in and out is really hard. All those damn one-way streets. I have been lost in downtown several times and trust me, it does not kick-ass.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I wish it would have come to Wilmington! And just to keep up the NC talk, it's pretty sweet here, not the whole state, but show me the 1 in 50 that is. I came to Wilmington almost 14 years ago for college and never left.

19. andpeo23 macrumors newbie

any update on when the greensboro store will open?

20. tMac85 thread starter macrumors 65816

tMac85

i talked with the people at the SouthPoint Chapel hill Apple store and they said it got pushed back until this summer.

the wait is killing me.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

A friend of mine who started working at the Apple Store here in Charlotte last fall is one of the trainers for the folks who will be working at the Greensboro store. He's a pretty sharp cat; not sure how much of his wisdom he will be able to impart in a short time.

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I am a native Chapel Hillian. I refuse to go to Raleigh for craigslist deals, the place is ecu a hellhole. One way streets, stupid museums, and who could forget all the ****ing developments?!?!?!?

23. Mobi1 macrumors newbie

Driving 2 hours still sucks...

But I guess it's better than nothing. I live in the Scotland county area of NC, and we're pretty much 2 hours from just about anything. (2 hours to Charlotte, 2 hours to Raleigh, 2 hours from Columbia, etc...) I would be extatic if Apple would build a store in the Southern Pines or Fayetteville areas. (45min-1hr I can live with).

Fingers crossed.

-Mobi:apple:

24. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Was just there today, I don't think it will be ready by the end of Mar. I can only assume that it's going to be in one of the building that aren't finished yet. I think it might take them a bit longer then 2 weeks.

I had originally thought it was going to be in the shopping center with the Macy's Old Navy etc..... I didn't realize there was a new center like 400 feet away :)

25. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

Sorry to bump this, but I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the pending Greensboro store?

When this news first came out in November '07, it was touted as "opening early 2008!".

Then early 2008 came and the papers said "opening summer 2008!"

Now summer 2008 is here and last weekend when I was at Friendly, I didn't see any signs of an Apple store. Nadda. Zip. Zilch.

Of course Friendly/Shops @ Friendly are somewhat sprawling and I didn't comb every square inch of shop space for an Apple logo but since this store is thought of as A Big Deal I thought I would've seen *something*

I'm hoping I obviously missed it and that someone here will say "Duh you twit. It's there big as life and opening next week".....