New Apple TV Billboards Start Popping Up in U.S. Cities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 23, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has launched (via AppleInsider) a brand new outdoor ad campaign for the Apple TV a week after debuting its first TV commercials for the new set-top box. The new ads feature a variation of the SMPTE color bars, a television test pattern, as a backdrop to the simple Apple TV logo.

[​IMG]
    Image via SMPTE Connect​

The color bars are also featured in the TV ads, dispersing in different ways as the ad showcases its apps or games. Thus far, the billboards have been spotted in Los Angeles, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

The ads appear to have gone up in the last 24 hours, with Instagram user Courtney Cerruti noting that she saw workers tugging the image into place and that they went up "in unison." Additionally, every current picture of the new billboards have appeared within the last 11 hours or so. The ads also come in different formats, with some ads in a vertical orientation on buildings and others in a more traditional horizontal format.

Article Link: New Apple TV Billboards Start Popping Up in U.S. Cities

2. cchunk macrumors 6502

I saw one today on the 405 in LA by LAX. Thought it was interesting since I never noticed it before but it all makes sense lol

3. heeloliver macrumors 6502a

heeloliver

Kinda an odd way to present the TV. For some the color test may remind them of a glitch, maybe something Apple doesn't want to be seen with the Apple TV

4. usarioclave macrumors 65816

5. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Wow. That banner is both hideous (the ugly colors at the bottom?) and it reminds me of a glitch or a color test - throw back to tube TVs.

7. GreyHare macrumors member

GreyHare

Those aren't the NTSC color bars, those are the six colors from the old Apple logo of the 80's and 90's. The bars on the bottom are like CMYK but the M and C are too dark.

8. macfoxpro macrumors 6502

9. Grimes213 macrumors newbie

Grimes213

10. shiseiryu1 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this means there is going to be a big announcement soon? For example, the ability to stream TV on AppleTV?...

11. NicolasLGA macrumors member

NicolasLGA

I hope people have noticed that this is not simply a "variation" on the color bars pattern...

It's the original Apple rainbow logo.

Very good marketing. I love it.

12. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Now lets have everyone overanalyze these ads...

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Hmm...I find this ad campaign almost as dumb as the Genuis one from a couple years ago. Does Apple think this is going to get someone to buy an Apple TV?

What exactly makes a good marketing? What does the old Apple rainbow logo have to do with the Apple TV?

14. JimmyHook macrumors 6502a

Fantastic marketing!!!! The throwback to their colors and the imagery relating to old school tv is fantastic!!!

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well you know what? That banner is doing it's job then. If it reminds you anything about a TV then mission accomplished. If people are so uptight and take things so seriously that they would automatically associate that with something adverse then they don't need the product in the first place.

16. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

I think the advertisements serve its purpose. It makes people notice, whether in a good way or bad way. Right now, AppleTV is unnoticeable by general public (translation: non MR readers).

17. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Big money for marketing campaigns, but still no Remote app support and no Bluetooth keyboard support.

Not even Apple's own Bluetooth keyboards.

18. NickD73 macrumors regular

NickD73

What a great ad! I'm going out to buy 2 now, no make it 3! Blah, Apple TV could have been so much more for gamers who want to play p2p.

19. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

I like it! The colors in these new ads and banners are great, a nice throwback to the colored Apple logo, and I think it gets the point across pretty well. I wonder if I'll see one of these around my area? :)

20. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Do the kids even know what SMPTE bars are anymore? When's the last time you saw a test pattern on tv?

21. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I would appreciate if they put Mac Pro on rather than Apple TV.

22. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

I saw one at Crescent Heights and Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood on my way home from work earlier. I thought it was a clever ad for the gay residents in Weho. Whoops.

23. adamneer macrumors 6502

I like it. But then, I already own an Apple TV 4 (and love it) and I know that "bars and tone" are a broadcast standard for calibration and not a "glitch" like some here seem to think.

24. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I actually really like these ads, also really like my Apple TV

25. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Apple really hasnt designed ads formthe "kids" since the iPod music video days.

They're nothing more than a calibration tool to make sure what is being displayed is how it should be displayed. And engineers can calibrate their equipment properly. Has nothing to do with glitching, dropped signals, station problems, or test patterns. They're still very widely used in television, news, and broadcast facilities. Apple's ad scheme is simply a throwback.