Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
-Signed, everyone everywhere, ever.

EXACTLY, those saying it should have 4K need to get a grip. I'm sure a future generation will have 4K capability but for now you can stick with your pitiful 1080p on your overpriced 4K TV.

Remember how long it took to switch to just normal 720/1080 HD for most things including broadcast?? Well I expect the same this time around.

4K is great but I think we really need to see some new development in TV to get people to replace their current HD sets.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Is everyone in dreamland or just uninformed? 4k is available now, plenty of stuff in Netflix for $11.99.

http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-content-guide-what-to-watch-in-4k-today/

We know Netflix charges $4 more for this but the quality isn't much more impressive over what's already in HD. Also there is no plenty stuff available in 4K on Netflix. What do you call plenty?

And if you have to go out of your way to watch something you wouldn't have watched if was not advertised in 4K then it isn't worth it. You're actively seeking out 4K movies which is not the same as someone turning on Netflix to watch a tv show or movie they had planned and it is already in 4K.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
We know Netflix charges $4 more for this but the quality isn't much more impressive over what's already in HD. Also there is no plenty stuff available in 4K on Netflix. What do you call plenty?

And if you have to go out of your way to watch something you wouldn't have watched if was not advertised in 4K then it isn't worth it. You're actively seeking out 4K movies which is not the same as someone turning on Netflix to watch a tv show or movie they had planned and it is already in 4K.

I realized after I posted that that there isn't 'plenty' on netflix, but there is 'plenty' of 4k when you group different services together which is what Apple TV 4 is doing with its app store. My point is the argument 'there is no 4k content' was valid two years ago when 4k was brand new. Now it's starting to get mainstream, the excuse of no content is no longer valid.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I realized after I posted that that there isn't 'plenty' on netflix, but there is 'plenty' of 4k when you group different services together which is what Apple TV 4 is doing with its app store. My point is the argument 'there is no 4k content' was valid two years ago when 4k was brand new. Now it's starting to get mainstream, the excuse of no content is no longer valid.

I think it's only fair to to say that there isn't much content. Certainly no one can say there's no content, it is out there just not in vast quantities.

I can't speak for other countries, but here in the UK, of the 200-300 broadcast channels there's currently just over 50 that broadcast in HD (and not always 1080p.)

Of course broadcast channels in and of themselves, aren't directly related to the Apple TV (yet.) But the majority of non film programming available on streaming services originates from these channels.

So if they're that slow in the uptake for even 1080p, how long will it be until we are enjoying all of our favourite shows in 4K. Probably a while yet. Which is why many of us, particularly those of us who bought into the whole HD thing back at the start and again for Full HD, then in some cases 3D, and waited years for any decent quantity of programming, aren't so keen to rush out and upgrade to 4K just to line the pockets of Sony, Samsung and the rest of them.

It is a bit chicken and egg of course. But if the hardware manufacturers want to keep throwing different standards at us every few years, HD, Full HD, 3D and now 4K and probably before too long 8K. They really need to make sure they have plenty in place to back it up. Otherwise they are all mouth and no trousers.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
EXACTLY, those saying it should have 4K need to get a grip. I'm sure a future generation will have 4K capability but for now you can stick with your pitiful 1080p on your overpriced 4K TV.

Remember how long it took to switch to just normal 720/1080 HD for most things including broadcast?? Well I expect the same this time around.

4K is great but I think we really need to see some new development in TV to get people to replace their current HD sets.

4K TV's are actually really cheap now. They tend to only cost a few hundred more than their 1080p counterparts. I'm about to buy a 4K tv for my basement and it's going to cost way less than what I paid for a 1080p LCD back in 2008.

That said, it would have been nice if the Apple TV was 4K, but I don't really care that it isn't. Streaming 4K would probably start to test the limits of my connection and it would certainly crush my data cap. If I'm looking for the absolute best quality, I'll probably want something stored locally. 1080p will be plenty to meet my streaming needs.

Reactions: trifid

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Since my primary usage is sports & HBO streaming, I'm good at 1080p for several more years.

Just got a screaming deal on that 1080p OLED (LG) in fact- Man is it gorgeous!

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Since my primary usage is sports & HBO streaming, I'm good at 1080p for several more years.

I do like me an OLED TV, I've been eyeing one up for a while. I just need to figure out how to sneak it past the wife :D

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I do like me an OLED TV, I've been eyeing one up for a while. I just need to figure out how to sneak it past the wife :D

I really don't think I can ever do a non OLED again. When you get used to the blacks and the screen pixels literally being "off" (no way to get darker than off) for black areas, it's simply a terrible look on every other display you look at.

Excited to see the updated ATV4 interface on this bad boy!

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I really don't think I can ever do a non OLED again. When you get used to the blacks and the screen pixels literally being "off" (no way to get darker than off) for black areas, it's simply a terrible look on every other display you look at.

Excited to see the updated ATV4 interface on this bad boy!

Yeah, to me that image quality is far more important than anything else. Fair enough, if it's a 4K OLED, I wouldn't complain at that either. The image really is just so much better.

It's like we are finally getting back to what a CRT could do (yes they had their benefits) but in a much grander scale.

I'm like soooo envious right now ;)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, to me that image quality is far more important than anything else. Fair enough, if it's a 4K OLED, I wouldn't complain at that either. The image really is just so much better.

It's like we are finally getting back to what a CRT could do (yes they had their benefits) but in a much grander scale.

Where I live the new :apple:TV hasn't even come out yet. It's also quite pricey for 100€ more I can get a mac mini.

Since you already use it:

Does it allow webbrowsing?
Does it have vpn support?
Does it support pages, keynote,...?

thank you for your answers :)

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona

I also have a lg 4k oled as the pq I'd miles ahead of other tvs.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014

Mind if I ask where? I may still jump at an oled if I can grab one at the right price.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Where I live the new :apple:TV hasn't even come out yet. It's also quite pricey for 100€ more I can get a mac mini.

Since you already use it:

Does it allow webbrowsing?
Does it have vpn support?
Does it support pages, keynote,...?

thank you for your answers :)

It's not out here yet either, I've had a dev kit. So there's always a possibility some little things could change in the final product. But no, definitely no web browsing, there's no vpn in the build of the software we have either.

No idea about pages, keynote and so on as we haven't had the AppStore. Although I very much doubt they will appear any time soon, it's not the market Apple is targeting and as you can't connect a keyboard to the Apple TV, there's not much you could do with them.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's not out here yet either, I've had a dev kit. So there's always a possibility some little things could change in the final product. But no, definitely no web browsing, there's no vpn in the build of the software we have either.

No idea about pages, keynote and so on as we haven't had the AppStore. Although I very much doubt they will appear any time soon, it's not the market Apple is targeting and as you can't connect a keyboard to the Apple TV, there's not much you could do with them.
Thank you for the info.
Good to know that this would be a bad deal for me.

I still have no idea why :apple: would cripple the ATV like that but then they also solderd the minis ram ...

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Mind if I ask where? I may still jump at an oled if I can grab one at the right price.

Was Amazon seller - Mine was a weird deal where I'd ordered a newer model, but they contacted me and offered the previous year model for less than list.

AstroDrew

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Bay Area
I wouldn't call it obsolete. However, it is disappointing that it did not come with a 4k feature considering the new iPhones can shoot 4k video. I still ordered a 64gb, I love my 3rd gen ATV it's being used every day, so I'm still excited to get the ATV4. I do have a 4k TV and if Apple comes out with a ATV with a 4k feature I'll still get it and put the other ATV in the kids room.

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009

There is no standard compression for 4K media streaming. The whole licensing issue is up in the air at the moment with h.265 not certain to become the standard. It is far too early for Apple to be showing their hand regarding any future compression standard and it would be unreasonable to expect users to have to pay more for the ATV because of licensing issues, especially given the lack of content and the uncertainty of any future UHD standard.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I don't plan on getting a 4K tv anytime soon. I MIGHT upgrade when a 65" comes in under $1500 that's as thin as the Sony X900C. Until then, my clunky 2008 Samsung 52 hanging on the wall will do.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don't plan on getting a 4K tv anytime soon. I MIGHT upgrade when a 65" comes in under $1500 that's as thin as the Sony X900C. Until then, my clunky 2008 Samsung 52 hanging on the wall will do.

Smart man - 4K should honestly be left to flesh itself out for another good year at least. They keep adding things like HDR, etc to these sets, yet at the end of the day, the amount of actual normal consumption 4k content is ridiculously limited and simply doesn't justify all new equipment for it right now.

Funny thing about my OLED is that people who come over immediately *think* it's 4k (when playing a Blu-Ray type of source) - It looks that good!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Hey guys, don't buy the new AppleTV because it doesn't support a format that is only just starting to become adopted. Also don't buy it because it dropped support for a 30-year-old audio format. In fact, don't buy an AppleTV until it is 3 feet wide, with 45 ports on the back supporting every single audio/video plug from 1980 to 2020.

Has it got USB-C?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.