Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
That price point is insanity. They needed to price this at $99. The remote is a much needed improvement, but I can see the Siri button getting hit endlessly where its at.
Don’t buy it. Go buy a cheaper device. The 4K appletvs are already 200$ nothing new here.

Reactions: pioneer9k

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I’m hoping these have passthrough audio. Can I dream? Thats all I want. Everything else is just right. Time to sell my two 4K appletvs

DaneLA

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2020
I know it only needs to be charged a few times a year but I would love if it had wireless charging. I naturally place my remote down on my charging pad already!

Reactions: Jakuta

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Sold! Going to buy one to replace our family room ATV 4K remote. We'll keep the "old" 4K remote as backup in case our little one breaks one of the remotes in use.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
For me, this was the most exciting announcement. Although I'm comfortable with using my iPhone as a remote, it'll be nice to have a decent physical one. It also looked like there was a small drawer on the side, like a SIM tray. Perhaps it's for a button cell? I'd rather that than another rechargeable unit.

EDIT: Nope, that was the Siri button. The remote is rechargeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The new ATV is ok, but I want that remote! Would have been nice though if it had a built in air tag or something that made sound when pinged. I assume if it had that feature, they would have mentioned it. In any case, this new remote design is worlds better.

The Banker

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2018
Would it be able to control TV functions other than on/off and mute? Can't find it on the website. Might be a nice replacement remote just for the TV.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Would be able to control TV functions other than on/off and mute? Can't find it on the website. Might be a nice replacement remote just for the TV.
How would you? 99% sure you won’t be able to. Volume mute and power button is all

Wkquick

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2019
Can the Remote change input? Would be nice if I can swap from gaming console and Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.