Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
"Amazon removed the Apple and Google streaming media players because they are incompatible with its Prime Video streaming service, which it believes may cause confusion for customers."

Yes Amazon, this is TOTALLY the reason, we believe every word.

I still have that Mac remote, the metal one, loved using it with Front Row until one day Front Row was no more. So now I have a... it's not even good for paperweight.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Just got my ATV4 and set it up, but I had to run to a meeting before I got much time to play with it. I noticed under "computer" where I home share all my movies, tv shows, home videos and music that it looks the same as the old interface except white - all my movies are listed in alphabetical order with a photo of the movie on the left. I've always hated that and had hoped the new UI would be different. I would love for all the movies to be displayed by their cover (similar to how Plex does it) - has this ever been an option?

danzini

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Argh. Maybe I should have checked but is there no AMC, USA or ABC app for the Apple TV? These are the two I use the most on my iPad.

epirali

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Maryland
I have written Amazon twice explaining that I will most likely not renew Prime. Not because I don't like the fast delivery, or that Amazon isn't an amazing place to buy many many things (which I do, believe me, you don't want to see the amount I spend per month at Amazon). But once they decide they are going to selectively remove items from their marketplace in order to "push" me into something I wouldn't have done then they are no longer a neutral marketplace. And without that I will not support them by spending money, nor will I trust their wares in the store. So in a futile attempt to get someone to adopt something they wouldn't they will end up losing a lot of customers.

On the other hand if they had not done that I would have probably bought a Fire TV stick and put in on another HDMI port and not cared.

This is just stupid.

hollersoft

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
The Canadian App store is crap - not nearly a fifth of what is shown in the video
Are you searching by the first letter, as shown in the video? By default, most of the apps (including mine :( ) are not visible on the main screen because they're not hand picked by Apple. You have to search by name. (Or by category name, e.g. "navigation")

I'm in BC, with the device's region set to Canada, and I do see the same list as in the video when searching.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

justinmartin

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Toronto
Are you searching by the first letter, as shown in the video? By default, most of the apps (including mine :( ) are not visible on the main screen because they're not hand picked by Apple. You have to search by name. (Or by category name, e.g. "navigation")

I'm in BC, with the device's region set to Canada, and I do see the same list as in the video when searching.

i will have to double check - thanks for the tip.

Amazon will built an App when Apple allows the Amazon fire to access the iTunes store and download content.

Not a good comparison. Apple makes money on hardware; Amazon makes their money on services. Amazon's strategy is to run everywhere. There's a kindle app for everything with internet access... Amazon puts their video service on the Roku, Xbox, and surely many others. I bet they even allow airplay from iOS to Apple TV.

therelgdog

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
Could someone who has the new Apple TV please tell me if ur still able to set ur Flickr account/images to be ur screensaver - just like the old Apple TV - thank you in advance :)

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Didn't somebody write an amazon prime app you could use with jailbroken apple tvs? Maybe they will do the same for the latest apple tv that you could compile and install with a developer account.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Not a good comparison. Apple makes money on hardware; Amazon makes their money on services. Amazon's strategy is to run everywhere. There's a kindle app for everything with internet access... Amazon puts their video service on the Roku, Xbox, and surely many others. I bet they even allow airplay from iOS to Apple TV.

The UK app allows Airplay ( I'm not sure if that's the same as the US app ).

drcharlie

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2014
Yes, Amazon should submit an app for Prime viewing on the new AppleTV.

Conversely, is Apple content (TV shows, Movies, music) available by app for Fire, Roku, Chromecast, etc? If not, whose fault is the hold-up?

I am quite displeased with these separate ecosystems. It is not good for the consumer.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
I was amazed that the Volume Control somehow automatically worked with my TV.....old Pioneer Plasma at that... How'd they do that?

Also the SWIPE is so much better than using the remote app on an iPhone and way better than the old remote. The Verge review that dismissed this feature was way off. I love it.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Lol, when Amazon pulls an Apple product, OMG! Amazon is evil and Apple is benevolent, but when Apple pulls an app or retail product from the Apple Store...my god what a double standard.

All are NOT welcome on Apple, Apple has shown this time and time again. We will see if Apple will truly support Amazon Prime content on the Apple TV considering that Apple won't allow 3rd party content sales without Apple taking a cut of every transaction, as we have seen with the Kindle app on iOS. Why should Amazon pay Apple anything to distribute their content when Amazon has produced an exceptional TV product and service themselves, and had the same "new" Apple TV features over a year ago.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Loving the new Apple TV so far, apps and interface are slick and responsive but some bits still need work.

No categories in AppStore, why not?
No ICloud photos support only photo stream, this really sucks
Siri needs a lot of work
Now TV app seems to be missing at the moment, though this is obviously not apples fault

Using it as a universal remote works great, and although my TV doesn't support switching inputs when I press the tv button 3 times on the Siri remote the Apple TV sends a command to the TV, but it does nothing. Any ideas? If I could switch inputs with this remote I can finally retire my Logitech harmony, since I can get many of the freeview channels through the tvplayer app.

Last edited:

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Make sure they hear the complaints.

Attachments

• Amazon Chat.PNG
    Amazon Chat.PNG
    56 KB · Views: 294

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
My prime subscription is set to renew on November 18th. I will be cancelling it before it renews. $100/yr isn't worth it unless Amazon is willing to make a dedicated app for the ATV.

The shipping benefit isn't as much of a good deal as it used to be. It's not like I ever order under $35 worth of stuff on Amazon anyway, so shipping will still be free, just a tad slower. Lately the free 2-day shipping has actually been more like 3 days or longer anyway.
I have already cancelled mine :p

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I was amazed that the Volume Control somehow automatically worked with my TV.....old Pioneer Plasma at that... How'd they do that?

Through the HDMI cable. I was also pleasantly surprised that Apple TV also switched both my TV and AV Receiver on and off! Only one remote needed when I'm going to watch AppleTV.

Reactions: Jaro65

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes, Amazon should submit an app for Prime viewing on the new AppleTV.

Conversely, is Apple content (TV shows, Movies, music) available by app for Fire, Roku, Chromecast, etc? If not, whose fault is the hold-up?

I am quite displeased with these separate ecosystems. It is not good for the consumer.
I think by now consumers know if you want to consume iTunes content buy an Apple device. And if you need your content available on any device don't buy from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.