Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MobileFun.co.uk publishes two case designs that are claimed to be for the upcoming iPhone 5. The new designs seem to show that the iPhone 5 will carry a number of changes including a larger screen, curved/sloped back, and larger home button area.

These design aspects were previously reported in April by ThisIsMyNext. Their report at the time claimed many of the same features:
the home button is doing double duty as a gesture area; this falls in line with testing we've seen for gestures on the iPad, and our sources say that gestures are definitely coming in a future version of iOS. The home button will likely be enlarged, but not scrapped altogether. Furthermore, we're hearing that the screen on the device will occupy the entire (or near to it) front of the phone, meaning almost no bezel. Our source says the company is doing very "interesting things" with bonded glass technology, and has been exploring designs where the earpiece and sensors are somehow behind the screen itself, making for a device where the display is actually edge-to-edge.
The images do seem to be circulating from Chinese case manufacturers. The above image was posted by a Norwegian accessory manufacturer just the other day. This is the same image that MobileFun.co.uk also received and posted.

We suspect all of the images and information are coming from a common source, but we don't necessarily believe it to be true. At the time of ThisIsMyNext's posting, we received a reliable tip that this is not what the iPhone 5 will look like. As well, several other credible news outlets have said that the iPhone 5 will "look largely similar to the current iPhone 4".

Article Link: New Case Designs Revive Unlikely iPhone 5 Design

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Moral of the story is, no one knows until Steve stands up on stage and has it in his hand. Either that or it gets lost in a bar again.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
theres no way after that much time they will release the same phone! its going to be a new design so get over it 4 owners!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
So many rumors. Thank god I am going on holiday soon and will get away from 'em :D

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Moral of the story is, no one knows until Steve stands up on stage and has it in his hand. Either that or it gets lost in a bar again.

True that bro, true that.

Apple is laughing all the way to the bank with the freebie underground buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Like he song lyric, "loving every minute of it" :)

Ziger Woods

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
Couldn't take it!!!

I couldn't handle my 3G anymore & was sick of tha rumors so I broke down & bought a white 4 for $150!!! Hopefully I'm not too disappointed when tha 5 comes out!?

Last edited:

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
If the iPhone 5 looks anything like the mockup, then I'm sticking to my iPhone 4.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
That mock up is ugly!!! I hope the real thing looks better. But i dont like the return of the curved back.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
theres no way after that much time they will release the same phone! its going to be a new design so get over it 4 owners!

That's what I would like to believe. If they're holding off for more than a year (we all know that's like centuries in the tech world) before a new phone is announced, I'd be a little disappointed if all I get, after such a long wait, is just nothing more than some extra RAM, storage, and 3 more megapixels in my camera. Keepin my fingers crossed.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
IDK everyone is saying this is ugly as can be... I personally would like a bigger screen, thinner, and get rid of the glass back... I like my phone outside of a case and if it had a metal back then I wouldn't have to. (not like the itouch metal back)

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bring on a new design!

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
There is 0 consensus about the new phone. Despite hearing a million rumors on it, I have no idea what new features it will have nor what it will look like.

jim001

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Touch Mockup not iPhone

Isn't it possible that this is the next Touch and not the next iPhone?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
mockups look always ****, it will look def better seeing it out in the wild i wouldnt mind a touch sensitive button actually as my menu button is "broken" on my 2nd iPhone 4 already.

and i prey to god we get a redesign after the new iPhone hasnt been released in summer as usual

freelancing

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
the design looks unlikely

This is an unlikely design. Very few cases could be designed that would fully protect the device and snugly keep it in the case at the same time - and it would be very hard to hold the phone w/o smudging up the screen. There is a point at which you CAN get TOO THIN in a device. If it's too light weight and not substantial enough - it just gets hard for an adult hand to comfortably hold.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I hope they don't return to a curved back. I love the symmetry of the iPhone 4 and how it lays flat. I do think an aluminum casing like MacBooks have would be really cool. A bigger screen is definitely welcome.

At the end of the day though I think the iPhone 4 has a beautiful design and if they didn't change it, I wouldn't be that surprised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.