Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Received my case last week, tried it for a few days and I'm back to my Magpul Field case(s).
1. The case offers better grip than Veil XT but it's still somewhat slippery.
2. The case is slim which makes the lip flex on the sides of the screen. This makes the lip collect a lot of dirt from pockets for example.
3. The sleep and volume buttons are very narrow.
4. The cut-outs were pretty precise so no complaints there.
5. The case kind of looks and feels cheap.

Even though Magpul Field case makes the phone bulkier it's still a lot better case than the Sheath:
1. The side buttons are bigger, clickier and better to use.
2. The case is not that flexible and offers more protection.
3. The Magpul uses some special material which doesn't feel like it offers a good grip but it actually does. Good grip with gloves aswell.
4. The case "hides" the round slippery sides of the phone which also improves the grip.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I love the understated look of the Sheath and have always thought the Magpul cases look beastly (not in a good way) and sort of tacky with those thick crisscross lines in the back!

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I love the understated look of the Sheath and have always thought the Magpul cases look beastly (not in a good way) and sort of tacky with those thick crisscross lines in the back!
It's all a matter of taste. Can't argue with that :)

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
...I love the understated look of the Sheath and have always thought the Magpul cases look beastly (not in a good way) and sort of tacky with those thick crisscross lines in the back!

The original Magpul case they made (for the iPhone 4) was a nicer design; the back lacked those thick crossing lines but had a nice texture to it. It wasn't as bulky as the later 4/5/6 models but still offered good protection. I would have gotten another one if they continued to offer that as an option.

BTW, do the Magpuls still leave an oily residue on the back of the phone when removed? That was my only complaint about the one I had for my iPhone 4.

Last edited:

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
BTW, do the Magpuls still leave an oily residue on the back of the phone when removed? That was my only complaint about the one I had for my iPhone 4.
Happened to me on the iPhone 4 too. But not anymore. I have the clear and brown for the iPhone 6.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
I've been using the Sheath case for couple of weeks. I thought it was made of cheap material and was going to return in back to Caudabe. But it's kinda growing on me due to slim (0.9mm) and all-around coverage.
Did you return your Sheath case?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I've been using the Sheath case for couple of weeks. I thought it was made of cheap material and was going to return in back to Caudabe. But it's kinda growing on me due to slim (0.9mm) and all-around coverage.
Did you return your Sheath case?

Several weeks strong here and still using it for the reasons you mentioned. It's a great case. I think the look and feel is fantastic so I'm confused by the "cheap" comments (but maybe it's because I have the black on black iPhone setup which as I said before gives off this cool 2016 Batphone vibe). I can see how it's the sort of case that's understated in appearance but that you grow to like even more the more you use it. It fits really well, is just thick enough to provide ample impact protection and all of the buttons are easy to push. Simple but well made. Thumbs up.

Reactions: danny8200

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Several weeks strong here and still using it for the reasons you mentioned. It's a great case. I think the look and feel is fantastic so I'm confused by the "cheap" comments (but maybe it's because I have the black on black iPhone setup which as I said before gives off this cool 2016 Batphone vibe). I can see how it's the sort of case that's understated in appearance but that you grow to like even more the more you use it. It fits really well, is just thick enough to provide ample impact protection and all of the buttons are easy to push. Simple but well made. Thumbs up.

Same here. Caudabe cases are interesting because I remember when I first got my Veil, right out of the box it felt flimsy and I was slightly underwhelmed. Maybe a function of just how thin it was. But, after I put it on and started using it, I liked it. Same thing with the Sheath (which I now prefer over the Veil because it's way more durable). I liked the understated design right out of the box, but I actually like using the case even more. And it's definitely grown on me more the longer I use it. The overall fit and finish is excellent. It's not flashy or blingy, just a solid all-around case.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I received mine yesterday, and will add to the positive comments above. The fit and cutouts are both excellent on my example. I'm impressed with the overall quality and the way this case closely mimics the shape of my 6s; the camera/flash openings make it appear to be more a part of the phone rather than an add-on. All alignments are spot on and the side seam is barely visible or obvious to the touch. Buttons are unobtrusive yet operate smoothly, and with the case on I find it easier to use the on/off button without inadvertently adjusting the volume controls. The texture is smoother than a normal TPU case but still provides better grip than the XT, though not quite as much as my Capsule, whose design is also wider & thicker on the sides offering more surface area to grasp. The contrast between the matt finish of the surface and the high gloss of the recessed bands is to my eye one of the more subtle yet distinctive design elements of this case. I'll still use my Capsule for travel and the XT for a change, but I think this case will be the perfect everyday option for me... at least until something else thin, elegant, yet practical comes along ;o)

Last edited:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
My Gray Sheath (um, looks a bit funny to write ;)), came yesterday and I am happier not only with the fit and finish but also the overall package that it provides. I think the Red (not counting the misaligned cutouts) was a bit overboard in terms of looks. I love red cases but the red color on the Sheath didn't give off a good overall look. The Gray however, especially the one I received yesterday looks great on the white/silver iPhone and is not overstated. I moved to a clasp-based car mount so I no longer need an additional metal plate to mount to a magnet so I am back to using slim/thin cases again. Overall, I am happy so far with the level of protection, feel, and look of the Sheath.

I'll probably write up a small review of the case soon and post to my blog.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
My Gray Sheath (um, looks a bit funny to write ;)), came yesterday and I am happier not only with the fit and finish but also the overall package that it provides. I think the Red (not counting the misaligned cutouts) was a bit overboard in terms of looks. I love red cases but the red color on the Sheath didn't give off a good overall look. The Gray however, especially the one I received yesterday looks great on the white/silver iPhone and is not overstated. I moved to a clasp-based car mount so I no longer need an additional metal plate to mount to a magnet so I am back to using slim/thin cases again. Overall, I am happy so far with the level of protection, feel, and look of the Sheath.

I'll probably write up a small review of the case soon and post to my blog.
Hey JNGold. I remember you beta test Caudabe cases before the official release. Is Caudabe just doing they're own internal testing?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Reactions: gilverx

psychopomp2

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Does anyone know if this is compatible with cinder edge to edge glass screen protector? On Cuperts website the veil xt is listed to be compatible with cinder but nothing about Sheath is mentioned...

gilverx

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Does anyone know if this is compatible with cinder edge to edge glass screen protector? On Cuperts website the veil xt is listed to be compatible with cinder but nothing about Sheath is mentioned...

I honestly don't think so, since cinder covers fully on the curved edges, and lips on sheath covers the curved area. So unless you plan to stretch over the sp.

vols

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
How does this case compare to...

iPhone 6S Case, TOZO [0.35mm] Ultra-Thin [ Perfect Fit ] World's Thinnest Hard Protect Case Back Cover Bumper [ Semi-transparent ] Lightweight for iPhone 6S / 6 4.7 inch [Matte Black] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015BH252W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ocC3wbBVYN5WM

I'm looking for a minimal case with good protection. I ordered the TOZO a few weeks ago but it's shipping from China and will take forever. Caudabe is offering a discount, which ends today...trying to decide on what to do Haha.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
How does this case compare to...

iPhone 6S Case, TOZO [0.35mm] Ultra-Thin [ Perfect Fit ] World's Thinnest Hard Protect Case Back Cover Bumper [ Semi-transparent ] Lightweight for iPhone 6S / 6 4.7 inch [Matte Black] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015BH252W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ocC3wbBVYN5WM

I'm looking for a minimal case with good protection. I ordered the TOZO a few weeks ago but it's shipping from China and will take forever. Caudabe is offering a discount, which ends today...trying to decide on what to do Haha.

If you want any form of drop protection, the .35 cases (Tozo, Caudabe) aren't for you. The most those thin cases protect from is day-to-day scratches. The Sheath is in the next class up from skin type cases offering a thin and yet protective type solution.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I liked the way the gray fit and felt so much that I ordered a black one. Here they are along with my Wisp Veil XT:

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,692
Reactions: rstark18

Wildheart3

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
I have 4 real gripes about phone cases and iPhone 6 cases, in particular.
1. I hate fingerprints, which rules many of them out.
2. I don't like it, if they're too bulky..ditto, above.
3. I want 360% protection, i.e. I can't stand it, if the bottom, or top of the phone are left uncovered.
4. The most important issue for me is finding cases with a lip that isn't "saggy/flimsy," particularly below the Home Button, or above the Charging port..that's a real deal breaker..

I've found a few that satisfy these stringent demands, or, at least, get a 2 out of 3 on the above.

1. The Magpul cases, love them, but they are a bit bulky.
2. Slider cases, though many are slippery and also prone to fingerprints, but they totally have the Home Button issue sussed.

It's been a bit of a nightmare finding exactly the right case for the iPhone 6.
The Snugg Ultra Thin Leather was about as close as I got, but it damaged easily and recent cases have seen a design flaw IMO, i.e. it's impossible to insert the charging cable with the case on!

That's when I came across the Caudabe Sheath, in my never ending search.
I'd tried the Veil XT but, that's way too thin for me and I felt that I'd be liable to drop the phone constantly, with predictable and observed results.

However, the Sheath seemed different and more protective.

So, I ordered one.
It took about 8 days to arrive in the UK and was "trackable," which was nice.

When it arrived and I applied it, it seemed to feel amazing in the hand..it fitted like a glove and then I noticed issue 4 above and the case seemed to pull away from the sides way to easy for my liking and I was on the verge of removing and sending it back.

However, I kept it on for the rest of the day and noticed that it is so designed that, even though the sides are a bit "saggy," etc. it's not noticeable unless you deliberately seek it out and they've found a very clever way of making it seem like the case is solid on the phone and below the Home Button.

I've now had the case on for 2 days, which is unusual for me! :O)
I love the way it fits, especially around the camera, so much so, that I've ordered a Black one as well as the Grey one, which I think will go better with the Space Grey iPhone.

If you're looking for a bit of protection, amazing, form fitting design, then I'd say you can't go wrong with this case.

Mind you, I've said that before and ended up disappointed.

But, in the words of Prince, "so far, so pleased!" :O)

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I ordered one a while back. I love everything about it except it's just a little too slippery for me. I think I'm spoiled on the slippery point though. I have a bumper and a skin protecting the back from possible scratches. The skin is matte and is really invisible but offer excellent feel and is not slippery but not tacky. It's from BestSkinsEver and my bumper is a Monoprice. Every time I try something else I always go back to this setup.

Wildheart3

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
I ordered one a while back. I love everything about it except it's just a little too slippery for me. I think I'm spoiled on the slippery point though. I have a bumper and a skin protecting the back from possible scratches. The skin is matte and is really invisible but offer excellent feel and is not slippery but not tacky. It's from BestSkinsEver and my bumper is a Monoprice. Every time I try something else I always go back to this setup.

I'm allergic to fitting screen, or back protectors.

I get Apple to fit them, in store..they have this amazing new gizmo..

However, I agree, I tend to try cases for a while then revert to the Magpul ones, simply because they're so protective, grippy and reliable and they do feel great in the hand, even thought they're not exactly the most appealing of cases to look at! :O)

AeroZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Estonia
I'm allergic to fitting screen, or back protectors.

I get Apple to fit them, in store..they have this amazing new gizmo..

However, I agree, I tend to try cases for a while then revert to the Magpul ones, simply because they're so protective, grippy and reliable and they do feel great in the hand, even thought they're not exactly the most appealing of cases to look at! :O)
Same here. Every time after trying something new I end up using one of my three Magpul Field cases.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Do you guys have the old iphone 6 magpul cases or the newer ones, labeled for both 6/6s?

I noticed they have changed some colors but not sure if the case changed structurally.

What do you think?

I'm considering buying the new magpuls or the sheat. I already have an old magpul but can't really stand the bulkiness anymore, unless the new model has significant advantages!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.