New Claim of iOS 4.2 Launch on November 24th as Revised iPad Build Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rumored release dates for iOS 4.2 continue to fly fast and furious, with The Telegraph now reporting that the update is set to launch on November 24th, the day before Thanksgiving in the United States.
    The report comes as Apple appears to have pushed out a tweaked version of the iOS 4.2 golden master for iPad to developers, moving from Build 8C134 seeded to developers on November 1st to a new Build 8C134b.

[​IMG]

Apple had been rumored to be releasing iOS 4.2 today, but a pair of reports published late yesterday indicated that a public launch would not occur until at least next Tuesday. Rumors had pointed to issues with Wi-Fi connectivity on the iPad as reasons for pushing the public release back from Apple's initial internal plans, and the appearance of a new iPad build today could lend some credence to that claim.

Article Link: New Claim of iOS 4.2 Launch on November 24th as Revised iPad Build Surfaces

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Lame.

But I'd rather have a stable/useable version than one that craps out all the time.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Hey, they said Novemeber, so it's still in the range!

4. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Hmm an interesting find. Will be expensive over thanks giving for customer support I think.

5. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Well, I'm downloading the iPad one now. Curious to see what's different.

6. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Of course, I'll be away for Thanksgiving with just my iPad (not flying with both my iPad and MacBook Pro!) and won't be able to update until that Sunday.

Bummer! But I'll live.

Unless my flight crashes. :(

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Better to delay it and ensure that it works than unleash it and face the wrath of millions of angry customers. Of course, I'm speaking as an iPhone 4/iPod Touch owner that will get little out of 4.2 to begin with. The iPad owners must be steamed.

8. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

How much you wanna bet that Apple will release itunes 10.1.1 or something with this just to work with the final version of iOS 4.2?

I agree, might as well take their time to get the kinks out than shove it out now with a bunch of bugs. Funny, how a lot of the people who say they want the new versions now also complain about all the bugs.

9. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

keep guessing

It will be released this day!

*"this day" comes*

oh, not here....it will be released this day!!!:D

10. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

"...when it's done" is good.

Perfecting a release is hard when facing an arbitrary deadline.

11. aperry macrumors 6502a

I've been following posts from people who took the golden master when it was originally released and immediately noticed the WiFi issues within minutes of installing it.

I continue to be surprised at how poor Apple's quality control is. I don't expect software to be perfect, but I would love to know how some of these obvious and critical issues make it into a golden master.

12. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I wonder if this fixes the horribly broken folders.

14. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Gotta admit, using my time capsule, i haven't had any wifi issues using the 4.2 GM.

15. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have been running the GM for over a week and have not had a single wifi issue. *knock on wood*

16. hughthomas macrumors newbie

17. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

How are they broken? They've worked fine for me.

18. Jai.Mac macrumors member

As much as I would love for it to be released today I want the update to work properly. I wonder if the Wi-Fi issue is the same one that I've had on my iPhone 4. It's ironic that now that the iPad gets updated to 4.2 that Wi-Fi issues creep in. I've had big problems with my Wi-Fi just not being fast enough, mail for example takes forever to load and I never had this problem prior to 4.0...food for thought.

As for the release date, I honestly don't think anyone knows what they're talking about! Some "sources" say Tuesday some say the 24th. I think it's safe to say everyone is really just guessing. Hopefully it will be sooner than later but I think we're just gonna have to wait and see.

19. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I've had no WiFi issues either.

20. deviant macrumors 65816

omg apple omg.
    about wifi - depends on your router. some worked fine for me, some didn't.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

22. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Those intensely focused on a new product settle into patterns of use and thinking which preclude considerations outside that box. Nobody outside the team handles the product until very late in testing, thus common behaviors which are not "inside the development box" are not encountered until just before release (or right after). Certain limiting presumptions must be made about design & testing, and both must be done within certain constraints, else they'll never finish it.

That's why a developer was discovered out at a bar with an iPhone 4 prototype: they thought it was completed, but wasn't until used in real-world conditions could they be sure. Things like Wi-Fi have certain uniform behavior in the office & lab, but have very different issues out in the wild. Things happen in real world use which don't happen in the lab - like losing the durn thing.

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

so only the iPad version needed tweaking? i assume iP4, 3GS, Touch still have the same GM versions?

24. dguisinger macrumors 6502

Some people... I wear.... how poor Apple's quality control is?

The fact that they release a build to TESTERS which they thought was final, they find out there are issues and decide to FIX it before release to the PUBLIC?

Its not like the gold master was released publicly. Gold master means "we have no issues we know about and think we can release it"... now they know about it and fixed it.

If you find a problem fixed through the normal means of testing a product, I would call that GOOD QUALITY CONTROL. The issue wasn't in the prior build that was released to testers; and doesn't appear to affect all iPad users and may not have occurred within the lab.

25. sanford macrumors 65816

Or all along they planned it for the last business day before the busiest shopping day in North America and other parts of the world with major early winter holidays or traditional gift-giving occasions. The last workday of the month for a lot of people, probably many at Apple, who will take extended Thanksgiving holidays continuing through the following week.

There's no way of knowing. The original rumors were Wednesday MacOS 10.6.5, Thursday iTunes 10.1, Friday iOS 4.2. MacOS and iTunes were said to be, and apparently were, unaffected by any known show-stoppers. Yet iTunes didn't make it out until today.

Again, and I've said it before, when Apple says November, they mean on or prior to the last day of November, but usually a lot closer to "on" than "prior to." And they usually meet these release commitments, especially for software. This year, November 24th is tantamount to the last day of the month. I see no reason to believe iOS 4.2 was EVER scheduled for release before that date. GMs are always subject to revision, and internal and/or external rerelease.