New clues that may point to Macbook pros refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pedrofan, Jan 27, 2011.

1. pedrofan, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

pedrofan macrumors 6502

This post intends to be a recopilatory of clues or news that may point to macbook pros refresh.
    I will update this post with new information if I find it or if you send it to me via response.
    So, please, if you find something post it and I will add it to the list below.

Thank you for your collaboration.

1.- Shortening in PC World of 15" and 17" models

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11799661&highlight=#post11799661

01/27/2010, 09:44 PM by iamnotanumber

I work in Currys UK (dont laugh) and with access to PC world and Currys stock file I can confirm shortages of 15" and 17" in our main warehouses (base models of both are showing as 0 available with no order due date). Still a few kicking about in superstores and they are allowing us to do forward orders, but stock is low.
    13" model still has 300 or so still available in our central warehouse.

2.- Marketer with information about 15 and 17" refreshing

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11799282&posted=1#post11799282

01/27/2010, 08:14 PM by nfable

Just to confirm, I work as a marketer for a reseller that is supplied by Ingram Micro and all 15" and 17" are being refreshed - no definite ETA or specs known. Yummy.

3.- MacBook Pro Supplies Tightening in Amazon

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/26/macbook-pro-supplies-tightening-ahead-of-potential-refresh/

4.- MacBook Pro Supplies Tightening in BestBuy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+17%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Aluminum/9911584.p?id=1218193867793&skuId=9911584&st=macbook%20pro&cp=1&lp=6

MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 17" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive
    Backordered: Usually leaves our warehouse within 1-2 weeks
    Store Pickup: Available at most stores 02/11

5.- MacBook Pro Supplies Tightening in MacMall

http://www.macmall.com/n/Mac-Computers-Accessories-Apple-Warehouse-Blowout/macCustomPages-3508

6.- Apparently, the dual core Sandy Bridge (e.g. Core i7-2620m) processors are starting to ship

http://www.mobigizmos.com/1130/sony-vaio-sa-series-laptops-launched-in-india?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

7.- MacBook Pros Sold Out in Dick Smith Australia

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XC6499/apple-macbook-pro-17-quot-2-53ghz-i5
    http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XC6497/apple-macbook-pro-15-quot-2-53ghz-i5
    http://dicksmith.com.au/product/XC6496/macbook-pro-15-quot-2-4ghz

8.- New MacBook Pros show up in Best Buy inventory with March 11 launch date

http://www.9to5mac.com/51155/new-macbook-pros-show-up-in-best-buy-inventory-with-march-11-launch-date

9.- Japanese site Macotakarta is also reporting that they have heard that MacBook Pro stock is low, and that reseller availability is now in the 2-3 week waiting range

10.- Many Mediamarkt stores in Spain are Out of Stock after "day without IVA" campaign, and they can't restock new macbook pros as resellers are not supplying them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this information may say anything or may say nothing, so please read it carefully.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Mangos86 macrumors member

All signs point to a very soon refresh. My bet is still sometime before the end of February.

3. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Hoping

This is good news, I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now but this is the first real solid news we have heard in a while. I feel like apple is being more and more careful about what information is being released.

4. raymondthimmes macrumors member

So was there this kind of shortage build up to the slight refresh last year in October?

I'm trying to plan my much needed laptop purchase perfectly:D

5. Mangos86 macrumors member

Kind of makes you wonder..... What's everyone going to have to talk about when they finally do refresh them? Oh that's right. 2 months of bitching about what was/wasn't done followed by 8 months of speculation on the 2012 Mbp.

6. raymondthimmes macrumors member

can't wait:D

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think we have all known that the update is pretty close, and we would know that even without these usual signs. These low stock rumors often indicate that the update is approaching but the timeframe is still open. Sometimes the update is out on the following week while sometimes it easily takes over a month.

8. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

What would we see in this update? Sandy Bridge and nothing else?

9. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

This should be stickied and updated as new information comes out.

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

And the award for best newbie quote goes to...... ;)

11. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Sandy Bridge
    13" gets i3
    possibly higher screen res for 13 to be on par with mba
    better GPU, possibly AMD which would be great 1g vram sick.
    slimmer design

possible bto for the removal/inclusion of optical drive. more than likely either it will stay fully, or it will be option to exclude it; they wont go away fully this time.

better battery as always

also, it wont be over a month, delay too long. average 8 months give or take, were entering the 10th month in days. last years delay part on intel shortage of supplies. i dont know why everyone now automatically says April, look at those facts, and the trend of refreshed, never being 11-12months.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

LOL. Spot on, so this is exactly like it is. I am laughing my tush off at this!

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, the availability of Sandy Bridge is even worse as dual core CPUs won't be released until February 20th. That leaves us with only one possible February Tuesday, the 22nd.

14. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

false, saying it is the only possible day is incorrect. who says apple is bound by this? plus shortages of weeks or months for availability + strong sales taking current stock out quick, apple cant float 3 weeks or so with not product, let alone 3rd party business like BB & amazon who will lose business.

15. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Would they do it any time in Feb considering what they have going on with the iPhone and all?

16. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

There is nothing worse than knowing that your 2010 MBP is no longer the latest model.
    I hope they don't release new models soon :D ;)

Anyway, I think last year with Arrandale there were the same indicators, but it did take quite a while after that for them to release them. I remember waiting until April for them, when everyone thought they'd come out in early 2010 :(

17. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it was because intel sold out all arrendales to Acer and apple had to release their laptops later. Let's see if this year Acer is the one that has to wait a little ;)

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Take a look at Apple's product updates in the past. Unless there has been a special event like WWDC, the update has been on Tuesday. There is only one Tuesday in February after the 20th.

All MBPs still ship in 24 hours so Apple has plenty of MBPs to sell. Resellers always run out of stock prior to the update but when they do, it doesn't mean that the update is imminent. Resellers are just resellers, Apple doesn't care if Amazon files for bankruptcy because they didn't have any MBPs in stock. When shipping times on Apple's site change, then I would say we are pretty darn close.

There is iPhone going on all the time. I would guess easy March, possibly the first of March

19. Yebubbleman, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Or, potentially any Tuesday thereafter.

Look at most of the articles listed, if any weight is to be given to any of them, then most allude to the 13" either not being updated and with the Mid-2010 model sticking it out for at least another release cycle or being discontinued altogether.

My trick to "Crap, my brand new thing isn't brand new anymore" is to immediately start saving up for the computer that'll replace it in 4-6 years. You feel much better about the prospect of your current thing getting older because you know that when the time comes, you'll have the new one without batting an eye.

20. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

blah blah blah iphone, sick of all the "i" crap. Great devices, i love my ipod, id like an iphone but really. Anyway, the iphone deal is more for verizon than it is of apple. If it were a new generation iphone for verzion, it would be different. but its pretty much not. acer got the orders faster last time, intel had short supplies. Intel learned, ramped up production months and months ago. Apple is not dumb, their not going to start a 11-12 month ordeal on a product they never waited that long on before for mbp. 10 month= feb. feb 20th or not, plus apple has refreshed products on mondays and weds as well. not just tues.

21. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

The usual, b!tch about why it took them so long. Then say, big deal, Sandybridge II will be out on new PC's by summer, and the MBP's won't have them until late 2012...blah blah blah...

OR...When are they going to release a White iPhone?! :D

22. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Lulz. I'm definitely going to shift gears and anxiously await news regarding the white MacBook (assuming it isn't refreshed at the same time as the MacBook Pros) and the Mac mini, even though I'm not in the market for either. The news, and hopefully the discussion as well, will be much more interesting than the same arguments over and over and over again that we're having with every "MacBook Pro" post.

23. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Hasn't Apple gotten chips ahead of the official launch date before? That or we're getting a redesign inside of the 15" and 17" models with Quad-Cores in every one of them.

24. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

They've gotten Mac Pro Xeons early once, but that's it as far as I know.

25. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

They also got the original Core Duo slightly ahead of time, but that coupled with the original Mac Pro's Xeons are the only CPUs that I've known Apple to get ahead of time, unless you count the first MacBook Air's CPU.