New Evidence in iOS 12 of Apple's Upcoming iPad With Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Greenmeenie, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018

Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I am beginning to wonder if Apple is going to release just ONE iPad X pro with face ID this fall...the 11” bezel-less face id version of the current 10.5”, and then just give the 12.9” a speed bump. Kinda like what they did with the iphone x and iphone 8. Then next year update the entire ipad line with face ID & without bezels. Perhaps even adding a bezel-less ipad mini pro. Or then again, maybe apple will announce bezel-less versions of both the 10.5” and 12.9” in September. What do y’all think?

2. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

Same here - bought my Pro 12 last November, don't care about infrared blasting my eyes, and wonder how this will affect the price.

3. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

Because iPad is meant to work in any orientation, problems arise. Face ID sensors need to work with the pad held sideways or upside down. Note on iPhone that doesn't work yet. Also, with no home button, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen. On iPad, you need to be able to do that from any side. Note on iPhone that does work ok, on three sides.

4. alwaysbeincontact macrumors regular

alwaysbeincontact

Can't wait to see this new iPad and whats coming!

5. BoulderAdonis macrumors regular

BoulderAdonis

Can they please **ADD** some bezel ... so I have something to hold on to???

6. plexdk macrumors 6502

They probably use palm rejection ;)

7. Kiorr macrumors member

Kiorr

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I own a launch day iPad Air, running 11.4 daily.

Who’s more ready than me ?

9. BoulderAdonis macrumors regular

BoulderAdonis

They do. And it works. It still doesn’t give any grip area. It’s been a big problem for me going from the iPad Air 2 to the 10.5” iPad Pro. ;)

10. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Why do you not like the notch? It's an Apple notch, everyone should like it.

11. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

the point is that good design shouldn't need a case :rolleyes:

12. The-Rift Suspended

The-Rift

Probably new design like rounded corners like iPhone.

13. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

Crazy thought: the current iPP has two speakers on each short-side, using its sensor to detect orientation and adjusting stereo dynamically. What if the new iPP had a FaceID sensor stack in each short side (as well as a lightning port) so there was literally no "up" or "down"? I imagine the extra sensors would also help with enabling FaceID in landscape orientation because you'd get a wider/more even spread of dots. Anyway, just fun speculation. Can't wait to see what Apple comes up with!

14. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

I regret buying the iPhone 10. FaceID alone is a backwards step from a fingerprint scanner. The fingerprint scanner just works more often and in more scenarios than FaceID, period. For non-iPhone 10 users, I can't explain just how annoying and frustrating face ID is to the point that it detracts from the user experience. I really hope they do an under the glass scanner like other manufacturers are doing, as well, but I wont hold my breath.

15. nelsonammo macrumors regular

I don't really care that much about Face ID but I would love an iPad with smaller bezels.

16. BoulderAdonis macrumors regular

BoulderAdonis

Face ID has been flawless, and a much more natural motion / interface in my experience and honest “opinion”.

17. profets macrumors 601

Yeah. And in fairness there’s only so much you can do with the edges of a device like this.

Would be amazing if it got the stainless steel frame like the iPhone but I don’t see it happening.

18. ph001bi macrumors regular

Going from the Air2 to the iPad Pro 10.5 was like using a time machine set to the future. I can't imagine what the jump will be like from the Air to the 11 Pro with Face ID, and yes your 5S will feel ancient.

19. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Can't wait for this. I will be upgrading from my 10.5, which has been my favorite computer. I am looking forward to Face ID, any screen enhancements, gesture interface, new design, and the bigger screen. Been waiting all year.

20. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I think i am. I am currently using an ipad mini 2 that has a cracked screen & broken home button running 11.4 daily!

21. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Personally I think they need to slim down the 12.9 with this new design. It's a great product, just very big and heavy - I am hoping they are able to reduce the overall size to make it more mobile. I will be torn between the 11 size and 14 or whatever if it is more compact.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2018 ---
    I love my X, but in some situations I agree with you, Face ID can be a little more clumsy from a UI/quickness standpoint. Apple won't go back to a fingerprint scanner, but Face ID will only get better, just like Touch ID did. Touch ID v1 was kind of crappy in some situations as well, but it evolved. The same thing will happen here. Quicker response, more extreme angles, landscape, close to the face, and overall UI when using will be improved.

22. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

My guess would be that both bezel-less versions of the 10.5” & 12.9” would stay the same physical size but just increase the screen size. That way, they don’t have to redesign the smart keyboards for both.

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And just as Apple got the two iPad Pros to have feature parity they’d mess it up again and only give one Face ID this year? Why?

24. cobracnvt macrumors 6502

cobracnvt

I wonder how much of a price increase faceID will cause. I'm fine with Touch ID, so I'm not sure this would make me run out to get one.

25. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

But then they wouldn't sell the new backlit smart keyboard with improved materials and better key response??? Haha, you make a fair point, but I never know what Apple will do when it comes to accessories. I just want another silicone/leather back cover to go with an ASK or smart cover. I'll likely stick with the 11 inch then as it will be the best middle ground for desk use and walking around the office.