New Evidence in iOS 12 of Apple's Upcoming iPad With Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2018.

1. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

2. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

Apple is really the innovation leader .. not! It's time for a hard stock devaluation for that company, to wake them tf up.

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Whether you consider it innovation or not, they make actual products that millions of people buy. Better than most "innovative" hardware companies out there.

4. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I’m not saying thats what Apple will do, just that they’ve been known to stagger their releases. They released the first ipad pro in one size...the 12.9” in 2015. Then the 9.7” ipad pro in 2016, and the 10.5” ipad pro in 2017. And when they released the 10.5”, it had slimmer bezels, but the 2nd gen 12.9” released at the same time did not. So it’s totally possible that Apple only announces one size bezel-less ipad pro with face id this fall. I hope thats not the case either. I’d love to see an entirely new line of bezel-less ipad pros with face ID announced all at once. A 10.5”, a 12.9” AND a 7.9” ipad mini pro as well!

5. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

6. rols macrumors 6502

They don't need a notch on the iPad because there's so much more area (10x?) to bury the same-sized camera. A thin bezel big enough to contain the FaceID hardware would be huge on a phone, it'll be invisible on the iPad. So no notch.

Agree that FaceID would be good if it worked in landscape. If you know the orientation of the device it's a pretty simple transform to covert landscape dots to portrait dots so I'd be a little surprised if they didn't do this. On the phone it's important but less so as you usually pick your phone up by the long edges, on the iPad it's necessary.

7. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm curious if the new iPad's will have OLED screens. If not, I'll probably just keep my 10.5" IPP for another year.

8. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

While the smaller pro will undoubtedly retain the same form factor with more screen, it will be interesting to see if the larger pro gets a bigger screen or a smaller body.

A 13.5" screen would likely appeal to artists and such, but a less huge 12.9" pro might gain more mainstream sales.

9. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

10. AZMecha macrumors regular

AZMecha

<Dr Evil> That will be a Nooooo.... 9'7 was last iPad Pro. Which too be was a great size since the 12'9 was way to large for me personally so bet on a new 10'5 or maybe 10'7.

11. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

but my iPad works just fine. I don't need a new iPad every year... heck its been 3yrs since I got a new iPad.

12. rfrmac macrumors member

rfrmac

Hoping that Apple is much more than that but for the last several years it seems that way. Something tells me that Apple is learning some lessons here about their hardware and what they owe their customers. Hope I'm right.

13. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Yes, Apple is a phonemaker.

Microsoft is what then?

A nothing maker?

14. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yea I think I am in the minority by upgrading every year. It's my only computer aside from my iPhone though so I don't mind the minimal upgrade cost. It's about $200 a year.

15. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

I feel like the current iPad Pros are priced right to add Face ID. I don't think there will be a uptick on the price like the iPhone X because the current iPad Pro barely justifies it's price difference with the standard iPad at $329. Then again — I could be wrong.

16. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

Nooooo that's my favorite part I'm glad they haven't rounded the edges (yet.. grr). Still miss the iPhone 5s.

17. Freida macrumors 68000

Lol! The point is that if you look after your things then you won't get chips etc. I've had iPad Air 2 for almost 4 years and its like brand new. In this case I think its fitting to say: Don't blame the product, blame the owner! :-D
    Anyway, if you are so reckless then get a case that suits YOUR lifestyle. Problem solved :)

18. monroerr macrumors newbie

I dislike the Face ID on my iPhone X. It is slow, unreliable and requires fussing with the phone orientation. The touch ID was seamless and could be acheived without even picking up the phone. I would not want to see that on any future iPad. Just bought the iPad Pro so I could get it without that feature. Usually Apple's new hardware features are really evolutionary. This one was a silly disaster simply for the wow factor. Unlike the old Apple to fall into that trap.

19. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say that. iPad Pro has twice the RAM and uses the X version of the SoC, which comes in handy for anything high-end. If Apple does use an A12X in the new Pros, then that gap could get much wider. There's also the possibility that they could increase the RAM in the 12.9 version.

20. Freida macrumors 68000

I really hope they will introduce the 12.9 version as well as that is the update I'm waiting for. I already have Air 2 which is fine for my everyday use etc. but want the big one for drawing, designing etc. so really hope we get 12.9 witch smaller footprint.
    I also hope that there will be no OLED as not only it would make the price ridiculously high but also I really don't like the technology. It may show better colors etc. but everytime I tried iPhone X I didn't like the "sparkle color" effect + it causes some eyestrain which is a no no too.
    So Apple, just keep it simple, update both IPP with smaller footpring, no OLED and keep the price the same and call it a day.

P.s.: Still unsure about the faceID. As other mentioned, not sure how really "safe" it is to have lasers blasting your eyes constantly. :)

21. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

But you do get chips etc. My iPad is in a case and rarely leaves the house. You would have a point if I threw it around or was rough with it. I think it was widely acknowledged as a fragile point when it was launched with the iPhone 5!

22. Greenmeenie, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018

Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

From the rumors I’ve heard, the yields aren’t there yet for including OLED on the next ipad pros. Just not ready for prime time. Especially with two new OLED iphones coming in September. But hey, maybe thats why the ipad pros werent announced at WWDC like many were hoping. Maybe apple needed more time to get OLED screens ready for them? Who knows. But I think I heard many respected analysts like Ming say it wouldn’t be until 2019 at the earliest for OLED ipad pros. So i wouldnt hold my breath. Guess we’ll find out in a few months. I have seen zero part leaks for these new pros tho.

23. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

It's a shame Apple can't put all of these cool new features in a new Mac.

24. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

So, only one size? No more 12.9" Pro? I'd think they would keep both Pro sizes and update both at the same time, but perhaps the 12.9" isn't selling that well. Guess we'll find out in two months!

25. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Likely when they are using their own chips.