New Evidence in iOS 12 of Apple's Upcoming iPad With Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2018.

1. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Apparently, you do not have sweaty hands.

2. satchmo macrumors 68020

But if it doesn't have a notch, it won't match the current iPhone X and upcoming iPhone X's.

Even if they have the room for sensors, I wouldn't be surprised if Jony adds a notch on the iPad just for visual consistency.

3. FromJamRock macrumors member

As long as there is no “notch” I’ll continue my tradition of buying iPads. As soon as that nasty notch creeps in, I’m out!

4. Freida macrumors 68000

Yes, it might be the weakest point but it really depends on the usage.
    This is an extreme example but its just for illustration - if you leave the ipad on the table for 3 years you won't get chips. :-D

Anyway, I understand where you are coming from but it really comes down to the way one handles the device. Some people are very delicate (like me) and some people are less (like my partner for example).

I look after my stuff very well so when I sell them they always look as if they were brand new.

Regardless, I agree that some items shouldn't need to be babied but is an electronic device one of those items?

Of course Apple often choose form over function and in many cases they piss a lot of people off so I'm not against you here. Just saying that it can be chip free :)

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

6. djlythium macrumors 6502a

djlythium

A 7.9” ipad mini pro would be perfect!

7. scottcampbell macrumors regular

How much less could you care?

8. FromJamRock macrumors member

I was thinking that at first with the 10.5, but the lighter they make it, the less bezel you need. All that said, keep your fingers crossed that something is in the works for tablets that look like the ones they have in Westworld.

https://goo.gl/images/Bb19ai

9. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

That swiping up works on the iPad in iOS 12 from every side. Works fine actually.
    Home button is almost useless now.

10. Lershac macrumors regular

Stop with making the bezels thinner on an iPad, I have enough trouble with this one when I hold it accidentally hitting the screen.

11. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

The big question is... what will the price tag be?

I want one, I've been waiting for one... but man I'm afraid of the cost of them given the price of the X.

12. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

Fair enough; the Pro does have many technical advantages over the standard iPad. However, to the average user the feature differences on the surface aren't there. With Pencil support on the standard iPad, ProMotion and the Smart Connector are the only user feature differentiators. Either way, I'm hoping the addition of Face ID does not bump the price. That's all.

13. fokmik macrumors 68040

Same as the current ipads pro

14. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

This.

Apple will want to keep their products consistent in terms of their design language. I'm betting that the next generation iPad Pro will have a notch just like the iPhone X.

And that's a damn shame. iPads have enough bezel and space to keep the Face-ID tech hidden and flush.

15. timber macrumors 6502

Face ID makes even more sense in the iPad (or the MB) than in the iPhone.

It will be great. Without the notch please, in a iPad it would be worse.

16. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I know right?! The current mini has a 7.9” screen. If Apple loses the bezels, but keeps the same physical size by expanding the screen to 8.5” that would be so cool. The perfect portable travel size ipad. One can only dream.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

18. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Imagine the iPad mini stepping up to a 8.5" screen in the same form factor. :cool:

Add the A10 and that'd be pretty sweet... Unfortunately Apple hates the mini. :/

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

20. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

21. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

Lol!

(Essential viewing for anyone who has ever said the words “could care less”...) ;-)

22. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Larger screen size is a feature and it definitely has an impact relative to what you want to use your iPad it for. It really does provide greater functionality for certain uses. Also, if the Face ID inclusion does turn out to be correct, then that's another one vs. the standard model.

23. macmaster69 macrumors newbie

macmaster69

24. the johnmc macrumors regular

the johnmc

How much less could you care? Also, good for you. Don't buy one then. There are people out there who want such a product and will buy it.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 3, 2018 ---
    So don't buy one. It's really that simple. There are plenty of people who do want a new one.

25. Elian_Gonzalez macrumors member

Elian_Gonzalez

So you if you could care less, it means that you do care and will probably *not* be keeping your 10.5 Pro for more than 6 months after the new version is released.