Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of the new forum?

• Total voters

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm still getting used to it, but I think I like it more than the previous two forums.

vBulletin was text heavy but let you see the threads with the latest replies in each subforum right from the index.

Xenforo 1 was sparse, icon-driven, and felt like a lot of wasted space to me. I always used a stylesheet to get more of a vBulletin look.

Xenforo 2 (our current forum) feels like a nice mix of both. There's enough info and breathing room. Plus inline spoilers, emoji, and new media embedding options!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Xenforo 1 was sparse, icon-driven, and felt like a lot of wasted space to me. I always used a stylesheet to get more of a vBulletin look.
I was using a stylesheet mod on the front page to see the latest post in each section. It's good to see that functionality is there by default now, sort of. I only wish it were possible to see the latest post in each subform on the main page (eg. iMac, Mac Pro, Mac mini) instead of just the broad category of "Desktops", which the stylesheet had enabled before.

Reactions: AngerDanger

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm still getting used to it, but I think I like it more than the previous two forums.

vBulletin was text heavy but let you see the threads with the latest replies in each subforum right from the index.

Xenforo 2 (our current forum) feels like a nice mix of both. There's enough info and breathing room. Plus inline spoilers, emoji, and new media embedding options!
Your avatar is no longer animated though.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I didn't see an option for the vBulletin days version... I still prefer that even though I still remember, in some ways, it was long in the tooth. I was never a fan of the previous forum software but this appears to be better.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you place one within a post does it animate?

serveimage.gif

Looks like it does.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Someone should explain the inner changes cause to me, it's just change for the sake of change. when one cannot figure out in a flash the changes that have been made, there lies the no-reason for changing. Old rule. Like a car salesman that once told me there were many important changes on the new model of the year I was eying. There are now 2 more Colors, metal sheet has been added on the pedals and there was now the option of heated steering. I looked at him straight in the eyes and told him to buy this new car for himself.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I like it overall, but the separator between posts shouldn't be the same color blue in dark mode because it looks way too bright.

Reactions: JagdTiger

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
What is this NEW button all about in the upper right corner of every posting? Couldn’t figure this out up until now.

What I don’t like is that at least on the iPhone the keyboard is being pushed over the editing mask of your message when starting to write a reply. So you first have to scroll down again to actually see what you’re typing.

Last edited:

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Do you guys like the new design of the forums? I find it cluttered and confusing for no obvious benefits.
Sure, the icons etc. are nicer but the overall simplicity is gone and its now visual mess.

What are your thoughs?

Also, MR - can we get some customization to get back to something that was there before? Ideally visual simplicity and clearness. This is poorly designed I'm afraid.
Unless others love it and in that case I'm alone :)

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I don't see how it's cluttered or confusing. I've been enjoying it (except the extra step it takes to sort posts by when they were posted). It'll just take a little bit of time for the new design to feel familiar.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I'm familiar with the forum software, so it's not confusing to me. This one uses the same base theme as before; the other one just had a lot more customization. I do miss the old layout that had the images of the phone, macbook, etc. I thought that looked a bit nicer. However, there were good reasons to upgrade and I'm looking forward to seeing how things evolve. This version feels smoother somehow.

Reactions: Brien

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
@casperes1996 I would prefer the poll option: the old was fine and the new is fine too, as I neither prefer the old nor love the new.

Hm. Should I add this? I feel like it's a poll gathering opinions, but not preferring either is more of a "non-opinion" so to speak, and is equivalent to not making a choice in the poll, but it could be a viewpoint that should be included too. Well, I'll add the option I guess :)

Scroll all the way to the bottom, click MacRumors Autodetect, and select MacRumors Light :)

Brillant. Thanks

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
The old forum software was no longer supported so we needed to upgrade to the new version.

After the biggest Apple event of the year, peak activity for the forums, and no prior announcement was the time to do it, eh?

Reactions: tonyr6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.