Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yeah these are getting old.
Stop the bashing and release some new software and Macs, DAMN IT.:mad:
The ads were funny at the beginning, and they do still bring out a smile on me, but come on; the whole thing is getting kinda childish.

True. The best marketing is to not bash the competition, but sell on the merits of your own...

Maybe it's time Apple come up with something new (with a widescreen iPod!)...

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Classic

The little kid PC is very funny. Perfect. I also had to laugh at the subtle dig on wmp.dll Windows Media Player. What is it he asks. What is it indeed.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
seriously, how many % windows xp or vista user see fetal error message, compare to kernal panic of OSX?

I seriously don't know, coz i didn't see it on my xp and vista, nor did I see it on my OSX.

I sure hope apple stop doing this series, its like a crying baby, taking advantages of being a kid, challenging an adult see if he dare to respond to the supper exaggerated claims. I would rather apple taking a position more like an communication between two adults. of course, personal opinion.

scttwtkns

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2007
The calculator one just does not make sense to non apple consumers.

I think some non-apple consumers could make a correlation between the "PC" character & themselves. If they don't like that correlation (geek, not creative, miser) the more attractive character is "MAC". This might translates into MAC sales.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
I think some non-apple consumers could make a correlation between the "PC" character & themselves. If they don't like that correlation (geek, not creative, miser) the more attractive character is "MAC". This might translates into MAC sales.

Or it might translate to despising the Mac. When someone perceives something as an attack on themselves, mores time than not they're going to lash out at the perceived attacker than join them.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
From my own personal experience related to cryptic error messages I can say that yes windows does have error messages. However on the mac instead of an error message popping up the computer shuts off with a kernel panic. I've had my macbook in three different times for random shutdowns related to kernel panics so far. Also there are still error messages in os x but they are just located under the logs which you can access through the console or terminal.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I dunno. I'm mixed. I'm beginning to feel that these have run their course. Calculator is just plain odd. The computer cart one is OK - but they needed more creative names than "fatal error". And besides, OS/X can still barf up some pretty creative messages from time to time. It isn't like this is only a windows problem.

Shunnabunich

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I absolutely agree that Apple needs to move on and do some new ads that actually tout Macs' strengths instead of trying to undermine sales, but I suspect they wouldn't launch a new ad campaign until (perhaps) October when they release Leopard. Running brand-new ads about Tiger, which came out just about two years ago (in another 16 days, actually), would be rightly percieved as kinda pointless since most Mac users and many prospective switchers (thanks to our warning them) know that Leopard is "just around the corner" as Apple has said.

Perhaps making parallels to real life would be a good way to advertise OS X's features. I've already talked about one for Spotlight — the supermarket scenario — elsewhere. For Spaces, even though it's been a long-standing feature of Linux...

A man in his early thirties sits at his desk in an office, doing work on an iMac. A knock sounds at the door, and a delivery person pokes her head in.

"Hey, your magazine subscription came in!"

"Oh cool!" The man gets up to take the magazine. "I'll just put this away for later; thanks a lot."

As the delivery person smiles and closes the door, the entire room zooms to the left while the man is stationary, replaced by his living room at home, complete with a different view out the window (and perhaps an Apple TV, hehe). He sets the magazine down on his coffee table and the room zooms back to the right; he's back in the office, and sits down at his desk.

Cut to a view of the screen of the iMac, which shows him zipping from a Space holding a podcast on iTunes to one with the report he was working on in Pages and a message in Mail, and perhaps zooming out to rearrange a couple of windows. A voice-over says, "Organize your life with Spaces" — animate a transition to a Leopard product shot or iconic "X" logo — "...just one of the many innovative new features in Mac OS X." Cut to :apple: and it's time for the next commercial.

And I'm sure there are many much better ideas than that. All of them are probably better than the majority of the current "Get A Mac" ads. :D (Ooh, someone think of one for Time Machine!)

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
right after looking at the new ads, this bad boy pops up on my screen and i have to restart....

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 75

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
s its like a crying baby, taking advantages of being a kid, challenging an adult see if he dare to respond to the supper exaggerated claims

Actually, Bill Gates already stated in an interview that he doesn't comment that advertisement. So, the adult obviously ignores the crying kid ;)

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Stuffed

There is a new Get a Mac Ad posted called, "stuffed". It's pretty funny too and is so true about Windows machines! :D

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
right after looking at the new ads, this bad boy pops up on my screen and i have to restart....

yep..... however, this message is largely written in plain english, and has an error code within brackets for the IT tech who may need to repair / check the problem, but at least it tells you a little more than just a pop up with all kinds of seemingly garble', which looks a lot more 'serious' than a simple and plain written message that OS X uses.

:apple:

WhiteShadow

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2006
Washington D.C.
The think about the average user is that they do not precieve the attacks on the windows computer as an attack on them, they don't care. The attack is felt by the nerd/geek group and they are not going to switch either way. The attacks on windows are how the average user feels, trust me I hated using windows but before I was enlighted I did not know of another way. Thank-you apple for showing me a better life.

ernie-100

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2007
Hello I´m a MAC... GREEN?

Not "cryptic messages" :mad:

:D

:apple:

Hi everybody!

I have a brand new MAC MINI with MAC OS 10.4.9 and the latest firmware. I connected a SVGA color monitor to it. Everything works fine except that the APPLE COMMERCIALS looks green!!!...
The PC and the MAC guys in those commercials have their faces in green and all the colors are inverted (white is purple and so on)... In fact all the QUICK TIME videos look color inverted. The color pictures of those guys in the website are correct (the skin is "flesh" color). Any ideas how to correct this?. Thanks in advance.
BTW: I did tried with different monitors, also with different resolutions and same problem: All the desktop colors are correct but sometimes some pictures will look "color reversed", like in the negative of a color picture... All the quicktime videos will look reversed too... However YOUTUBE videos look great!... Any ideas?

Jan 30, 2006
Hi everybody!

I have a brand new MAC MINI with MAC OS 10.4.9 and the latest firmware. I connected a SVGA color monitor to it. Everything works fine except that the APPLE COMMERCIALS looks green!!!...
The PC and the MAC guys in those commercials have their faces in green and all the colors are inverted (white is purple and so on)... In fact all the QUICK TIME videos look color inverted. The color pictures of those guys in the website are correct (the skin is "flesh" color). Any ideas how to correct this?. Thanks in advance.
BTW: I did tried with different monitors, also with different resolutions and same problem: All the desktop colors are correct but sometimes some pictures will look "color reversed", like in the negative of a color picture... All the quicktime videos will look reversed too... However YOUTUBE videos look great!... Any ideas?

And why in the name of god do you post this here?

About your problem, it sound very strange. I don't find a reason of why some things will look that way and some no.

Try reseting the A/V Controls. They are in the Window menu.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
LOL

That "Fatal Error" scared my sister. She just got this Gateway PC at Costco message and after I spent Hours setting it up, LOL that message appeared after a few days.

I was just new to Mac back then too with the G4 Mini but I was able to convince her to pick up a 20" Intel Core DUO iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.