New GPU on next refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, May 21, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

So we know the latest MBP 2011 13" has a Intel 3000 IGP installed.

What do you think will the next gen have? I don't like Intel GPU because they aren't compatible with most games.

I hope the next gen 13" high end will have a nVidia chip and 512MB ddr3 vRAM.

What's your opinion?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not gonna happen. You're gonna be getting the next iteration of Intel's graphics. It'll have DX11.

3. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Because Intel blocked 3rd party development of integrated chipsets when they started making Core i series chips due to them wanting to push their own solution.

5. mac00l macrumors 6502

Because there is no IGP from any other manufacturer than Intel's for Sandy Bridge. It was either Intel's HD 3000, or leave 13" with C2D and Nvidia.

6. Arondel macrumors member

I think it depends on what the next generation of MBPs will entail.
    If it's a spec bump, the GPU will remain the same.
    If it's an upgrade to Ivy Bridge (and just that), the GPU will be better but still Intel.
    If we get a redesign, it will depend on what they are aiming for with the MBP 13". It could be the enhanced Intel GPU (the one from Ivy Bridge) or a discrete solution (which I'd say probably belongs to AMD). It will vary according to what the redesign is about. Taking out the ODD? Making it incredibly thinner? Putting in a bigger battery? Giving it a jump in performance category? A balance between these?
    This last point is mainly speculation and even then, it sustains itself on the idea Apple will continue to use Intel as their CPU provider (and not going the AMD Fusion way, for example).

Cheers! :)

7. KwanMan macrumors regular

because the 13" is too tightly packed inside to fit a separate graphics chip on it

8. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

er i mean one GPU, not two

btw is the 15" MBP 2011 have a removable GPU like a M14X?

coz i can buy a 6970M card for the MBP 15" just a few KM away

On topic: If you can, what Radeon series will apple use for their 2nd Gen MBP (thunderbolt) ?

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

By Separate, KwanMan meant Discrete.

The integrated GPU is integrated, it there whether you want it or not. A discrete chip will require space.

No.

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

if they remove the ODD, any chance the 15/17 models can go crazy and add a second CPU, a second GPU, and two more ram slots?

my fantasy macbook pro:

Dual 2.4 GHZ Quad Core i7 Processors with HT (8 cores, 16 threads)
    Dual AMD 6970m GPU with 2GB VRAM each (4GB VRAM total)
    32GB PC-10666 RAM (4 x 8GB modules)
    1TB SSD (2 512GB SSD Sticks in RAID 0)
    10 hour battery

11. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Sony Vaio Z, anyone?

It's a 13.3" notebook weighing 1.45kg with a Core i7-620M CPU and an Nvidia 330M graphics chip.

It simply sounds like Apple wants to 'encourage' people to buy the more expensive models if they wish to have a decent graphics card.

12. pedrofan macrumors 6502

I think you were going to say 10 seconds battery :D

13. mac00l macrumors 6502

The Sony Vaio Z uses a GT 330M which is dedicated, not integrated. Sorry to disappoint.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Very big chance LOL.
    A single 6970M puts out about as much heat as the current overheating 2011 MBP. It might work if you run all this at 10% clock speed though. But the 10h battery wouldn't even work this way. They could remove the battery from the notebook and sell a backpack battery. With a small car battery in the backpack 10h should be no problem.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Exactly. There is more than enough space for a discrete GPU in 13" MBP if Apple wanted to do that. Apple simply wants people who need a good GPU to pay more for 15" models. To be honest, the 6490M in 1799$ laptop isn't that great either.

16. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

+1 to what Hellhammer said

People were saying that there wasn't space for an i5 + chipset + GPU in the last model but Apple found a way to put the Thunderbolt chip in this time without removing any components. If they really want to put a GPU in, I believe they could.

17. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Not gonna happen. Considering the 6970M only fits in gigantic desktop replacements, or the iMac, and it needs 100W for itself. lol

18. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Will apple do a MBP redesign AND a spec bump?

Or will they leave the components the same and just to a redesign because thats more cost effective?

If sony can put a dedicated card in a 13" then why cant apple?! Its supposed to be a PRO machine, i could understand of the 13" uMB didnt have dedicated graphics.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unless the update will take place this year, there will be a nice spec bump too. Redesign isn't enough to justify the usage of old components since there will be newer and faster chips available. If you look at the history, there have been redesigns with spec bumps. To be honest, I haven't seen a redesign that didn't change the specs at all.

The "Pro" tag is there just for the sake of marketing. Apple is greedy and forces people to buy the more expensive MBPs for graphics intensive tasks. It's not about Apple's capability, but about their willingness.

20. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

You know you can ALL pretty accurately predict what the next MacBook Pro line will have right?

Apple is obsessed with thin it seems, it stated the Air was kind of where they want to head with the entire range.
    So, IF and this is a way out there IF they remove the ODD, Apple will make the laptop thinner, they will then use the Ivy Bridge as this a smaller chip die and it will run cooler. They will have to use the same type of GPU as they currently do or an even less powerful model due to heat, thin design is NOT good for heat dissipation.
    And with GPU's, it always has been and still is the case more powerful equals more heat.
    Now also knowing Apple, they are obsessed with battery life, so if you think that ODD less space will equal more powerful components? No, it will equal a bigger battery.
    But I bet SSD will be standard, the same type as what the Air uses.

But my personal thoughts are you won't see a redesign next year. So I have no idea what we will get, apart from Ivy Bridge.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You must have really vivid dreams/imagination

22. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

-_- looks like i'll be stuck with Intel IGP for the next mac purchase

Wait, if apple uses AMD processor does that mean they can use Radeon GPU for the 13" ?

OOC i'm keeping my M14X as i got it second hand for 1700 $ :p
    runnin' hackintosh and i have a 6970M 1GB GDDR5 installed :D
    i bought the card for 220$ btw

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple would most likely use IGP integrated into AMD's future APUs, such as Llano. Much faster than the Intel IGP though.

24. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Er, yeah, that's the point the guy was trying to make :confused: :rolleyes:

25. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

^ VAIO= Acer Inside

But why intel again?

The only thing that stops apple using AMD/nVidia is Intel motherboards right?