Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iBooks out now

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
1,208
79
yeah, it takes a revision of the motherboard to make them non-os9 bootable AND give 'em airport extreme. look at the line-up for other examples of this.

oh and meghop beat you by 3 minutes anyway =) 6:47 hehe
 
Comment

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
210
0
hmmm... no airport extreme? and still os9 bootable... apple could have gone further...

osX - os9 is not that clear transition like apple would like i guess. i even know people rather switching to pc than to osX, because they were ****ed up with printercompatibility (pro printers).

this ibook is here to stay another 150 days. do you think it'll get g4, fw800, apExtreme next time?
.a
 
Comment

Latino

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
41
0
London, UK
At last!

I was waiting for this update. And I have to say that I'm very happy with it.

Have you guys noticed that the bottom line iBook now has 32MB of VRam? that is awesome

This now means I'll probably go and get myself an 800Mhz iBook. Since I wanted to use the display hack to use my external 19" CRT, the extra 16Mb will be handy. Previously, the 700mhz was out of the question, but now things are looking better. And since I don't need a CDRW as I already have one on my desktop anyway...

Only think I would have liked as well is bluetooth. Oh well, will have to get a USB dongle I suppose

ibook 800, here i come

Now, I would like to find out what the 60Gb HD is... do you guys think it's a 5k rpm? or the slower one?

Latino
 
Comment

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
210
0
and the 128mb in the basic config is rediculous!
have you ever tried to manage (only) 40 pics with 128mb ram in iphoto2?
A NIGHTMARE!!!
.a
 
Comment

Latino

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
41
0
London, UK
Originally posted by .a
and the 128mb in the basic config is rediculous!
have you ever tried to manage (only) 40 pics with 128mb ram in iphoto2?
A NIGHTMARE!!!
.a
Yeah, but RAM is easily upgradeable. VRam is not
 
Comment

cionheart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
46
0
Germany
Re: At last!

Originally posted by Latino
I was waiting for this update. And I have to say that I'm very happy with it.

Have you guys noticed that the bottom line iBook now has 32MB of VRam? that is awesome

This now means I'll probably go and get myself an 800Mhz iBook. Since I wanted to use the display hack to use my external 19" CRT, the extra 16Mb will be handy. Previously, the 700mhz was out of the question, but now things are looking better. And since I don't need a CDRW as I already have one on my desktop anyway...

Only think I would have liked as well is bluetooth. Oh well, will have to get a USB dongle I suppose

ibook 800, here i come

Now, I would like to find out what the 60Gb HD is... do you guys think it's a 5k rpm? or the slower one?

Latino

I can't figure out a reason why Apple should build a 5400rpm drive in the iBooks if even the big 17" Powerbook got an 4200rpm drive (so the iBooks run a little bit cooler because of the G3, but we all know how Apple cuts down the iBook for the PB's). But I have to agree with you, the bottom line iBook now is *very* attractive. If I hadn't a PB 12" yet, I would go with the little iBook (which doesn't mean I am unhappy with my little AL :) ).

-- cionheart
 
Comment

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
4,123
3
BrisVegas, Australia
didn't the previous iBooks have only 16MB Video RAM in both models?

anyway, now the iBooks have 32MB Video RAM, the same as the low-end PowerBooks. doesn't Apple usually keep the specs of the iBooks and the PowerBooks a bit apart? this looks like there might be a PowerBook update on the way...:eek: ;) :D
 
Comment

Latino

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
41
0
London, UK
Originally posted by cb911
didn't the previous iBooks have only 16MB Video RAM in both models?

anyway, now the iBooks have 32MB Video RAM, the same as the low-end PowerBooks. doesn't Apple usually keep the specs of the iBooks and the PowerBooks a bit apart? this looks like there might be a PowerBook update on the way...:eek: ;) :D

Only the 700Mhz iBook had 16Mb of VRam. The 800Mhz had 32Mhz. Basically, they have taken the combo drive off the previous 12" 800Mhz ibook, and dropped the price by £250 (in the UK). That sounds great to me! I can buy a DVD-R and a firewire enclosure for that much! :D

But I really would have liked integrated bluetooth though. My t86i is itching for a mate to play with. It's getting kind of lonely. :p
 
Comment

kallur

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
2
0
confused

Has somebody got more accurate information, but it seems to me, that even 12" Combo model is now made of opaque white plastic insteed of crystal white plastic. At least apple online store lists extra battery as opaque white.
???
 
Comment

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
1,217
13
Louisville, KY
Nice to see the iBook's are finally updated. Now we don't have to hear people whining about whether or not they should purchase one.

I'm a little surprised it didn't get a bigger graphic on Apple's homepage, but I guess they want FCP4, DVDSP2, and Shake 3 to be center stage.

Oh, and I like the new Apple Store design.
 
Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
6,573
193
Re: confused

Originally posted by kallur
Has somebody got more accurate information, but it seems to me, that even 12" Combo model is now made of opaque white plastic insteed of crystal white plastic. At least apple online store lists extra battery as opaque white.
???
this is the way it was done last ibooks. the low end ibook was a white color, looked like the ipod and imac. the combo 12 and 14 inch ibook was in the darker gray enclousure like the ibooks have always been in. they have probably done the same this time too.

iJon
 
Comment

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
162
0
I find it rather strange that the iBook update was squeaked in under the radar today ... I mean, it's barely on their home page, there's no press release in the 'Hot News' section, and the new store design (which will certainly take some getting used to) completely overshadows any new hardware!!?

What's the score here?
 
Comment

Sakino

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
40
0
Personally I feel the update doesn't do ****. It doesn't make me want to go out and buy my first apple. I expected alittle more out of apple on the new ibook line. This is the year of the laptop and apple has yet to prove it. The 17" pb is to big, and the 12" pb is to small for most people. I don't want to buy a 15" pb that is considered out of date when I pick it up.
I really hope apple gets it ass in gear this summer, because if thats not the case I will just find a win laptop that is probably identical to what the pb and ibooks are putting out for a lot cheaper.
 
Comment

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
162
0
a 900MHz G3 with 32MB RAM, a combo drive and a five-hour battery for $1299 is about as good as it gets.

...and you're not going to find everything that the 17" PowerBook offers for much less than $3,500.
 
Comment

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
1,208
79
the 12" PB is not too small. it's too BIG!

something half the weight of the 12" would be a dream. there are various variations of the sub-notebook in the pc market. especially the japanese pc market. i am particularly fond of the latest toshiba....
 
Comment

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
149
0
Originally posted by Sakino
Personally I feel the update doesn't do ****. It doesn't make me want to go out and buy my first apple. I expected alittle more out of apple on the new ibook line. This is the year of the laptop and apple has yet to prove it. The 17" pb is to big, and the 12" pb is to small for most people. I don't want to buy a 15" pb that is considered out of date when I pick it up.
I really hope apple gets it ass in gear this summer, because if thats not the case I will just find a win laptop that is probably identical to what the pb and ibooks are putting out for a lot cheaper.

what about a 14" iBook? :rolleyes:
 
Comment

abdul

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
80
0
East Midlands, UK
Does anyone know how much of difference a 100mHz speed bump actually affects the speed of the computer in real terms?

when it was upgraded from 700 to 800 Apple said it was 30% increase in performace (i think). so does that mean another 30%?
 
Comment

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
427
0
East Coast, US
Originally posted by melchior
the 12" PB is not too small. it's too BIG!

something half the weight of the 12" would be a dream. there are various variations of the sub-notebook in the pc market. especially the japanese pc market. i am particularly fond of the latest toshiba....
If that's the way you feel you might check out Dynamism, they import Japanese sub-notebooks and translate everything to English for you. They seem to have some really nice systems, I just can't stand typing on a keyboard that small...
 
Comment

Latino

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2003
41
0
London, UK
Originally posted by abdul
Does anyone know how much of difference a 100mHz speed bump actually affects the speed of the computer in real terms?

when it was upgraded from 700 to 800 Apple said it was 30% increase in performace (i think). so does that mean another 30%?

When Apple upgraded the 700Mhz iBook to the 800Mhz iBook, it was not just a mere speed bump. If I remember correctly, when the 700Mhz Ibook was the top iBook, they all had a mobility radeon graphics card, rather than the Radeon 7500. Moreover, I think they only had 16Mb of VRam, which I believe sucks with QE. So given that, they could probably claim up to 30% performance increase in selected tasks.

This time around, all that changes is the CPU speed. Given that it still subject to a 100Mhz bus, I very much doubt the performance of the 900Mhz part is much greater than that of the 800Mhz. May be, on CPU intensive tasks, such as itunes encoding and such, you'll get 10% increase, at most. Not sure if it will be even that.

This is just guesswork though, I have no benchmarks to support my claims. Anyone care to shed some light in this direction?

Cheers

Latino
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.