Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
They're the same. Lately Apple has just been lazy when it comes to taking down the New tag, and it stays up for over a year.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I'm quite sure it's not out of laziness but a marketing decision. "New" tags sell products, even when it's not really new products.

Reactions: 0388631

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Hmm, that's a strange one. The title of this thread got me excited about a proper iMac refresh (despite ordering one a day ago). I see what you mean, though. The current iMacs are no newer than the MacBook Pros yet it's only those that have the NEW badge on that page.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
These are the same as 2017, but I honestly wouldn't expect an iMac refresh until late 2018 or 2019.

Yeah, you might be right. Despite people saying there will likely be one, I find it hard to imagine slick a new hardware (reduced bezels, etc.) design coming out less than a year after the iMac Pro, leaving the iMac Pro already looking dated. It's Apple, though, so who knows... :)

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
I'm quite sure it's not out of laziness but a marketing decision. "New" tags sell products, even when it's not really new products.
Not sure that sort of dishonest game is something that Apple typically plays with its online store.
[doublepost=1528436706][/doublepost]My view is that either something really did change and we just haven’t figured out what it is yet, or it’s a mistake on the part of the store admin.
[doublepost=1528436834][/doublepost]
"New" just means that it's not refurbished. LOL
No, you misunderstand. There is a temporary “NEW” tag applied to products in the online Apple Store that are either new or updated in the catalogue.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
If an upgraded iMAC isn't coming until the end of this year, maybe 2019, may as well wait for the Mac Pro!

I don't even want a redesign - just bring the internals up to date!

Reactions: Glmnet1

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Not sure that sort of dishonest game is something that Apple typically plays with its online store.
[doublepost=1528436706][/doublepost]My view is that either something really did change and we just haven’t figured out what it is yet, or it’s a mistake on the part of the store admin.
[doublepost=1528436834][/doublepost]
No, you misunderstand. There is a temporary “NEW” tag applied to products in the online Apple Store that are either new or updated in the catalogue.
It's not a dishonest game, well it's as dishonest as every other marketing strategies ;)

Also I'm pretty sure there's more than 1 store admin at Apple. And if they were forgetting to remove the tags like that they'd all be fired! :D

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
It's not a dishonest game, well it's as dishonest as every other marketing strategies ;)

Also I'm pretty sure there's more than 1 store admin at Apple. And if they were forgetting to remove the tags like that they'd all be fired! :D

Of course it’s dishonest to advertise that a product is new when it isn’t in order to generate sales. It’s outright lying. And there are marketing strategies that don’t require the firm selling the product to lie about it.

Yes, of course there is more than one store admin. I meant the specific individual that made whatever change led to the NEW tag being applied.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
No you are Lammers.

A 'new' computer is just that brand new. That is what is being advertised. Did you even check the link out? If GM or Ford released a new 'model' in September last, and you buy one from a dealer today, of course it is a 'new' car.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
No you are Lammers.

No, you are the one confused. We know if you buy from the Apple Store it is a new device - Apple show the 'new' tag for recently updated devices.

On the UK store (https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/) it lists the iMac Pro as 'new' as it's the latest product. The iMac pages on the UK store also list the normal iMacs as 'new' when you select buy.

None of the other Macs are showing the 'new' tag - which by your reckoning they all should.

This page is correct: https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/compare/ as it shows 'new' on the iMac Pro (although you could argue that's not a recently updated device either)

Lammers

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
No you are Lammers.

A 'new' computer is just that brand new. That is what is being advertised. Did you even check the link out? If GM or Ford released a new 'model' in September last, and you buy one from a dealer today, of course it is a 'new' car.
That’s two different usages of “new”. Obviously they are “new” in the sense that they are not second hand or used, but that’s not what we’re talking about.

The Apple Store carries an orange “New” designation for new models. It’s there now for the iMac Pro for example. But it’s also there for the iMac 27”. Hence the OP’s question about whether the model had been updated.

It’s not a “New” designation to distinguish from used/refurbished - and none of the other Mac products appear to have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.