Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iPad Demand is 'Off the Charts' with Initial Pre-Order Batch Sold Out

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple told USA Today that demand for the newest iPad has been "off the charts" and that the initial batch had been sold out:
"Customer response to the new iPad has been off the charts and the quantity available for pre-order has been purchased," Apple said in a statement. "Customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date."
We previously reported that U.S. pre-orders had already been pushed past its March 16th launch date as of Friday morning, with shipping estimates now having been pushed out to 2-3 weeks in all countries included in the initial batch of launches.

The 3rd Generation iPad will still be available for purchase on March 16th at Apple retail stores, presumably to long lines. The new iPad was announced last week and introduced a Retina Display, A5X Chip, LTE and 5MP Rear Camera.

Article Link: New iPad Demand is 'Off the Charts' with Initial Pre-Order Batch Sold Out

cmoneyster

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ordered a 32GB and 64GB..not sure which one to keep yet! Wahooooo I can't wait!

Comment

Iamthinking

Suspended
Jul 31, 2010
Pent up demand

I think there are so many people waiting for the long-talked about retina display, combined with folks that have gen 1 and 2 iPads that simply want to upgrade, that Apple will simply not be able to make these fast enough for months!

...yes, I am also waiting for my preorder, who isn't?

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Dates slipped heavily here in Japan, too. Though Windows 8 looks interesting, there is nothing close to the iPad on the market right now.

At first glance there is, but then, try using one ;)

Comment

Deeps

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Got my order in on the 7th, and is now out for shipping!

I'm not suprised the pre-order is sold out, considering how many ipad 2's Apple sold in the last quarter.

Comment

blackr

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
I cannot wait to hold one in person to see how the display comes out and waiting for the 4G LTE speedtest result.

Comment

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
So, if demand is off the chart, ARE they ever going to catch up? Is this part of that article the other day stating that Apple needed to expand their manufacturing base massively in order to continue to grow due to the exponential rate they have been expanding...?

Comment

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Well, it is by far the best tablet. & now with iPhoto, GarageBand and iMovie, Apple have a good-priced portable (iPad) and a good-priced desktop (Mac mini).

Comment

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I need you..

Comment

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

My iPad has shipped. Funny though, on the tracking Page it says my iPad is in PA right now (one state away from me).

Comment

ios51

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Keep in mind that some of these blow out numbers may not be real. There are many out there trying to turn a quick buck by buying up new iPads and selling them on eBay or in countries that won't get the device so soon.

However, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of interest in the new iPad I am sure. Personally ordered on one on the 7th and should get mine on Friday!

Comment

ARM1968

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010

I'm in UK and my 64Gb iPad has shipped. Ordered 3am on release day.

Comment

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
Keep in mind that some of these blow out numbers may not be real. There are many out there trying to turn a quick buck by buying up new iPads and selling them on eBay or in countries that won't get the device so soon.

However, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of interest in the new iPad I am sure. Personally ordered on one on the 7th and should get mine on Friday!

as long as the inventories are not under apple or retail shelves, its real enough

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
No 128GB iPad, no sale (I'm taking the wait and see approach for retina). The other day I freed up 3GB on my 32GB to bring it up to 4GB free so I could install some app updates. After installing them all, including a lot of retina crap from Apple, I had 2GB free. Even without upgrading to retina I'm going to need a bigger iPad as I lost 2GB. How do I know if 64GB will cut it? I don't even have movies or music on my iPad now and it's almost full. Games like Real Racing 2, Infinity Blade II, Rage HD, Gangstar Rio, NOVA 2 and more are all over 1GB each. Then you have apps like GarageBand and Navigon which are huge. Can you imagine the retina versions? I saw a tweet from Paul Haddad of Tapbots who said…
"Tweetbot for iPad @1x == 8.8MB Tweetbot for iPad @2x == 24.6MB #Upsized"
I love my apps! I fear these universal versions are going to be the end of that. I guess I should be less of an app hoarder, but I've gone through and cleared out a bunch of stuff several times.

As for the rest of my content...I have some photos. It would be nice to be on a trip and able to dump the RAW files from my 7D. So keep 64GB for apps and 60GB for photo dump. My last trip in January I shot maybe a little over 60GB between RAW and 1080p clips with my 7D, but I could have edited that content down a bit as I only skimmed two of the three cards for bad shots before unloading, and I undoubtedly have more shots to erase from those skimmed batches.

If Adobe came out with a version of Lightroom for the iPad [new] that could edit 18MP raw images then I would probably buy one right away. But for now I'm waiting to see how things shake out with these retina apps hogging all the free space. I really hope Apple will pull an iPhone 1 and bump the storage halfway through the product cycle. Here's to hoping!

Comment

ARM1968

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010

I'm in UK and my 64Gb iPad has shipped. Ordered 3am on release day.

Comment

CMelton

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
I wonder if apple are constraining supply deliberately to make it even more desirable?

But then I remember the article about screen manufacturing (or lack of) the other day and think the opposite.

Either way its good news for Apple

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.