New Ipad dropped. Chances for a new one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 09gtr 08f430, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 09gtr 08f430 macrumors newbie

Hi all. My Ipad fell from my wifes pocket book onto the ground and the screen border cracked. We have the belkin snap shield + smart cover. We've been extra careful with it otherwise.

First time Ipad owners. What are the chances of us going to the Apple Store and being given a new replacement, if we explain what happened?

I know falls/spills are typically not covered, but is Apple flexible?
    We pre-ordered from Apple.com, btw.

Thanks!

Update - Also, screen flickered a number of times after dropping. But now the screen seems ok.

Attached Files:

2. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

I believe they will give you option to repair. I think its 399 or 299. Unless you get lucky with a mgr. doesnt hurt to ask.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

It doesn't hurt to try. Apple does give a lot of free replacements, especially for new devices. I think they are concerned if it breaks right away that there might have been something wrong with it, or it may have been weakened by dropping during shipping.

4. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

you probably should have bought applecare+

Apple will repair it for you for a fee if im not mistaken. I believe its like $300 or $350. They might discount it considering you just got it.

Looks like you just payed for a life lesson and it cost you $500. If you can't handle the possibility of losing a $500 device due to accident, then you should have insured it.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you used a credit card that offers purchase protection, that'd likely cover it.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I know AMEX is really good about covering new products from theft or damage within 90 days. I believe Visa Signature and whatever the premium MasterCard product is also cover items from damage for a certain amount of time. Hopefully you purchased with a credit card and will be able to get a new iPad for free. I would definitely look into it.

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Little to none for free. Why should Apple pay for your mistake if you didn't buy Apple Care +?

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah know that they offer AppleCare+ it's going to be harder to get them to replace it for free.

10. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Applecare would have gotten you a brand new iPad. Hope they will work with you on new one or repair.

11. 09gtr 08f430 thread starter macrumors newbie

$500 I can lose.
    $175k for my car, I can't lose.

I asked a question, and was curious. I respect people's responses and appreciate their time they give to me.

However, I don't need someone telling me I "payed for a life lesson"

----------

Thanks for the responses guys!

12. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The same three answers, yes, no, and maybe so.

Only the Apple store knows for sure, but you will have to go there and tell your story.

Best wishes for a speedy repair.

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Why would you even think that Apple would replace for free the iPad that was DROPPED DUE TO CUSTOMER CARELESSNESS? Yes, you're going to have to pay for a replacement, whether it's full price or a partial price. Live with it. Apple owes you nothing. Maybe you and your family members will be more careful with the device in the future.

14. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Sell it on eBay listed "As Is" for $300 and hope someone knows how to fix it themself for cheap.

Lol

15. Jackintosh, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Sorry to hear this happened, and also best wishes at the Apple Store. Do check with your credit card company for possible repair reimbursement benefit.

This is probably a good segway to take a look at the recent "AppleCare+ yea or nay" thread. Maybe this'll prompt those sitting out AC+ to now go out and buy it.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Events like this are known as accidents.

Take responsibility, instead of looking for someone to feel sorry for you. That's what adults do.

Playing the victim makes one look weak. Get out your wallet and pay for a replacement.

It's the right thing to do.

17. iMacC2D, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  18. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

If you got a 175k car then just go buy another iPad, clearly you can afford it.

Next time, don't cheap out on the $99 insurance plan Mr. I got a $175,000 car. :rolleyes:

(Never understood why people have to flaunt their wealth. I, and many others here, got my own finances taken care of too, but I don't see the need to inject it on forums where it's irrelevant. It just makes you sound like a d-bag.)

This thread needs to be linked on all the threads about AppleCare+. It's a cheap way to fix problems like this.

I think now that Apple offers this protection, I doubt they will replace it free. You may get very lucky, but I doubt it.

19. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Especially with AC+, accidents should not be covered under regular warranty. Why should Apple feel bad and give you one for free when I paid for AC+ and I have to pay a $50 deductible?

20. breezyf808 macrumors regular

Just call apple and asked if u could buy apple care+(plus) its only $100 and deductible is $50. If it's still under the 30 days. I did and I am just waiting for them to give me a replacement. It doesn't hurt, just takes a while on the phone (wait-line)

21. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Actually it doesn't look that bad considering where it cracked, it doesn't really affect functionality of the display, just at the bezel level. If you can live with this annoyance or if it doesn't bother you at all just keep on using it. I know I would if I didn't have apple care and wouldn't fork over another $300 for a replacement, not worth it imo.

22. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Not a bad idea. I think everyone is under 30 days right now, so it should be possible to add it on, then go to the store to make the claim. Total cost $150, and you still have 1 more accident covered for $50 anytime in the next 2 years.

23. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

No one cares how much your car cost. That out of place comment just makes you look so sad.

You dropped and broke the ipad. Own it and deal with it... You could always sell your car and have a few spare for when you drop the next one.

Honestly... Some people!

24. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Honestly they won't not since AppleCare + the flexibility is gone

25. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

I'd buy a skin with the front cover and voila.. Covered and you can't even see it and it shouldn't crack any further :) that's what I'd do.