New iPad Mini Reviews: Capable Small Tablet With Nearly All Features of New iPad Air

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2019.

1. w5jck macrumors regular

w5jck

I prefer function over form any day. I could not care less what the bezels look like as they make the mini much easier to hold and manipulate in landscape mode than most modern tablets that have tiny bezels. I still use my iPad mini 2 for reading, and if it wasn't so old and getting slow I would use it for all other iPad functions too. I like the form and I like the feel and portability. As long as the mini 5 has enough power and the updated P3 screen I will be very happy. But to each their own, of course...

2. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

I hate the phrase, but it really is appropriate, first world problems... ;)

Seriously though, it's just a piece of technology. Dont like it dont buy it. So many other options and more important things in life to concern oneself.

I was pleased they upgraded these devices for all the people complaining they hadnt been updated. Yet, I knew these forums would still be a whine fest. Gosh, it really is time for me to just close my account.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Macrumors complaints before the Mini launches:

“C’mon Apple, we want a refreshed Mini with Apple Pencil Support!”

Apples response: “Here you go, an updated Mini with Pencil support.”

Macrumors complaints after the Mini launch:

“Look at the off-center home button”, Or “What, no USB-C?”, ect, ect, ect, ect.

Clearly Apple can never do anything right, at least according to the Macumors rhetoric.

4. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Something really has changed since I opened my account over a decade ago here... Used to be fans who wanted to discuss ways to use Apple products and to help one another. Now its dominated by negative nancys who I am starting to think are just AI bots trying to stock manipulate :D

5. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

iOS devices never had the 'industry standard' ports. The ability to use desktop-class hardware (Cameras, External Storage when Apple allows it, etc.) is something that separates these mobile devices from actual computers. Apple seems to want this ability to be a 'Pro' feature

6. w5jck macrumors regular

w5jck

My thought exactly! That is so minor. I'm a bit OCD but I never even noticed it before and I thought the people yelling about this were full of poop. But I thought they meant it was off centered in regards to side to side dimensions when held in portrait mode, but it appears they are upset about the top to bottom dimensions instead. Personally I use my iPads and iPhones in Otterbox Defender cases and you really don't notice petty things like that in a case. Even with the case removed it isn't that noticeable unless you look for it, but why the heck would you. If the button was in a corner or way off center I would have a bit of an issue, but as is no issue here. But then I'm looking at the screen and concerning myself with the functionality and processing power rather than obsessing over cosmetics.

7. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

Looking at the tech specs it suggests not; if you use a 18/29w charger it would charger faster than the one that ships with iPad Mini, either 10 or 12w (I suspect 10w).

8. dyt1983, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

9. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Overpriced and iOS is still too gimped. Should be $199 max.

10. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Maybe around Black Friday.

11. TechRunner macrumors newbie

TechRunner

When I see one on sale in a few months for $329 I'll jump. I can stagger along with my pokey Fire HD 8 until then.

12. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

I normally say Apple prices are too high, but couldn’t disagree more with you. The iPad 2018 could be found for $250 from time to time. Anything with an A12 processor could be more than $250. $299 is a more fair price than $399.

13. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I see band 71 on the apple tech specs page..?

https://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

14. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

Even the Nintendo switch is more than that and cannot do the same things.

15. bluespark macrumors 68000

Choose any current iPad with the screen size of the tablets you are replacing. And you'll be very happy: iPads are just worlds better than Amazon's tablets.

16. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

there is no competition for the ipad mini

amazon tablets are not competition, samsung abandoned the 8" market, the mi pad isn't on the same level..

17. bluespark macrumors 68000

Exactly this. What you describe as a "Mini Pro" is my dream device. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

18. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

Well, just look at the history of USB-C adoption... They were the first in a computer in 2015 with the MacBook. Then the MacBook Pro followed that in 2016. Then the iMac in 2017. Then the iPad Pro last year. Perhaps the new iPhone in 2019?

I'm just trying to see if there's another way to look at this one.

19. Joniz macrumors regular

Because many Mini users are probably a captive audience. That is, their business or whatever currently works using the smaller form and Apple can ask for a premium. I’m buying it for exactly that reason — the size.

Used to be, making things smaller was cutting edge. These days, with the phones & iPad Pros, it’s going the other way.

20. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

et cetera... etc... ;)

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You’re exactly right. Tablets have generally grown in size over the years, and the fact that Apple even refreshed the mini was a brilliant move, because it still allows for a enough of a demographic that would still appreciate a smaller iPad for times when they don’t want to resort to using a larger tablet. The Mini Refresh with Apple Pencil support was executed perfect. The Mini didn’t _need_ a lot of technological changes, and the price point is Still attractive enough when you look at how expensive the other iPad models are today.

22. MrBat macrumors regular

MrBat

Ah, cannot be unseen

23. Justanotherfanboy Suspended

Justanotherfanboy

Ummm.... ok.
    And $199 looks like a better price than that. Also, $99 would look like a better price.
    Them paying you $499 to take one and including a bag of free puppies would look like a better price as well.

Are we through stating the obvious or do we still think that there’s any readers that don’t understand math to the extent that we must list lower prices & then explain: “these prices would be better... because it’s less money”?

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

25. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

For avid gamers Nintendo Switch has superior game selection. It's not even a comparison.