Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
There is no way of getting around how bad those top and bottom bezels with the off-center Home Button look, especially when you compare it to the iPad Air.

I prefer function over form any day. I could not care less what the bezels look like as they make the mini much easier to hold and manipulate in landscape mode than most modern tablets that have tiny bezels. I still use my iPad mini 2 for reading, and if it wasn't so old and getting slow I would use it for all other iPad functions too. I like the form and I like the feel and portability. As long as the mini 5 has enough power and the updated P3 screen I will be very happy. But to each their own, of course...

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I wish it required a ruler to notice it.

I love your attitude, so keep at it because you might change my thinking. Right now I still feel like it is on death watch. Apple built a device to use up the remainder of their stock of old hardware. When that runs out, be it a year or 5, the mini will likely die. Apple likes to claim they don't compromise, and I admire that because I don't like to do it either. I slept on the floor for a year until I found a bed I liked, and I can wait out this 'new' 2015 iPad mini until they release one that uses the same charging port as all of my other devices.

I hate the phrase, but it really is appropriate, first world problems... ;)

Seriously though, it's just a piece of technology. Dont like it dont buy it. So many other options and more important things in life to concern oneself.

I was pleased they upgraded these devices for all the people complaining they hadnt been updated. Yet, I knew these forums would still be a whine fest. Gosh, it really is time for me to just close my account.

Reactions: emmanoelle

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Macrumors complaints before the Mini launches:

“C’mon Apple, we want a refreshed Mini with Apple Pencil Support!”

Apples response: “Here you go, an updated Mini with Pencil support.”

Macrumors complaints after the Mini launch:

“Look at the off-center home button”, Or “What, no USB-C?”, ect, ect, ect, ect.

Clearly Apple can never do anything right, at least according to the Macumors rhetoric.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007

Clearly Apple can never do anything right, at least according to the Macumors rhetoric.

Something really has changed since I opened my account over a decade ago here... Used to be fans who wanted to discuss ways to use Apple products and to help one another. Now its dominated by negative nancys who I am starting to think are just AI bots trying to stock manipulate :D

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
You two crack me up. Since USB4 (no space :rolleyes:) is thunderbolt 3 with USB C now would be the time for Apple to 'lead the way'. These aren't protocols and ports for professionals, they are industry standards for consumer devices.
iOS devices never had the 'industry standard' ports. The ability to use desktop-class hardware (Cameras, External Storage when Apple allows it, etc.) is something that separates these mobile devices from actual computers. Apple seems to want this ability to be a 'Pro' feature

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
What is the obsession with some people for the "off-center" button? Talk about petty complaints...

My thought exactly! That is so minor. I'm a bit OCD but I never even noticed it before and I thought the people yelling about this were full of poop. But I thought they meant it was off centered in regards to side to side dimensions when held in portrait mode, but it appears they are upset about the top to bottom dimensions instead. Personally I use my iPads and iPhones in Otterbox Defender cases and you really don't notice petty things like that in a case. Even with the case removed it isn't that noticeable unless you look for it, but why the heck would you. If the button was in a corner or way off center I would have a bit of an issue, but as is no issue here. But then I'm looking at the screen and concerning myself with the functionality and processing power rather than obsessing over cosmetics.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Does the iPad Mini 2019 support fast charging using USB-c to lightning cable and 29-watt/18-watt power adapter?

Exactly the question I was going to ask re fast charging. It’s not a deal breaker but it would be very nie if it supported it.

Looking at the tech specs it suggests not; if you use a 18/29w charger it would charger faster than the one that ships with iPad Mini, either 10 or 12w (I suspect 10w).

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Overpriced and iOS is still too gimped. Should be $199 max.

I normally say Apple prices are too high, but couldn’t disagree more with you. The iPad 2018 could be found for $250 from time to time. Anything with an A12 processor could be more than $250. $299 is a more fair price than $399.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Thanks - we have three amazon tablets and they are just horribly slow and crappy. I am actually asking about an Apple ipad and wondering what I should go with...last gen mini, current $329 ipad?

Choose any current iPad with the screen size of the tablets you are replacing. And you'll be very happy: iPads are just worlds better than Amazon's tablets.

Reactions: JagdTiger

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Well I'm happy I'm not the only one who wants a Mini Pro, I might not be going mad after all then...

The Mini could be such a killer device if they'd only make more of an effort with it. Imagine it with an OLED display, Pencil 2 and a fancy leather cover - it would be the ultimate digital notebook, e-reader, portable gaming platform, ultra portable content viewing platform... I would kill for that. And I wouldn't mind paying a premium price either. With that, a small iPhone (I currently use a 7 Plus), the Watch and my MBP 15" I would have the PERFECT setup.

Normal size iPads don't interest me very much as I find my MBP 15" to be portable enough in that size category. I had the original iPad Air but I'd always end up using the MBP so I finally sold it. The Mini size category is where I would have no problems spending the big bucks to get a truly premium device.

But I guess we can only hope there'll be enough people wanting this at some point.

Exactly this. What you describe as a "Mini Pro" is my dream device. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Oohara

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
If that is true than it's a very different strategy than they have ever used before. Apple has never been shy to kill features in the name of progress. I hate to say it but Steve, my co-worker from Tampa, would never have done that. ;)

Well, just look at the history of USB-C adoption... They were the first in a computer in 2015 with the MacBook. Then the MacBook Pro followed that in 2016. Then the iMac in 2017. Then the iPad Pro last year. Perhaps the new iPhone in 2019?

I'm just trying to see if there's another way to look at this one.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
I don't really understand why the Mini is only 100 dollars/euros cheaper than the Air. Does Apple want us to buy the Air and not the Mini?

Because many Mini users are probably a captive audience. That is, their business or whatever currently works using the smaller form and Apple can ask for a premium. I’m buying it for exactly that reason — the size.

Used to be, making things smaller was cutting edge. These days, with the phones & iPad Pros, it’s going the other way.

Reactions: dcpmark

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008

et cetera... etc... ;)

Reactions: deputy_doofy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
there is no competition for the ipad mini

amazon tablets are not competition, samsung abandoned the 8" market, the mi pad isn't on the same level..

You’re exactly right. Tablets have generally grown in size over the years, and the fact that Apple even refreshed the mini was a brilliant move, because it still allows for a enough of a demographic that would still appreciate a smaller iPad for times when they don’t want to resort to using a larger tablet. The Mini Refresh with Apple Pencil support was executed perfect. The Mini didn’t _need_ a lot of technological changes, and the price point is Still attractive enough when you look at how expensive the other iPad models are today.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
$299 looks like a better price

Ummm.... ok.
And $199 looks like a better price than that. Also, $99 would look like a better price.
Them paying you $499 to take one and including a bag of free puppies would look like a better price as well.

Are we through stating the obvious or do we still think that there’s any readers that don’t understand math to the extent that we must list lower prices & then explain: “these prices would be better... because it’s less money”?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.