New iPad Mini Reviews: Capable Small Tablet With Nearly All Features of New iPad Air

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Different perspective: The Mini isn't a massively popular product but still has a following. Apple decided to revamp it in the cheapest but most effective way. If all I get out of this deal is their top level SOC and a better screen I'll happily take it. A better camera and face ID would have been nice but also would have required a case re-design. And even Pencil 1 support is a big deal because it was non-existent before. I may get one just for quick note jotting. And it fits in my lab coat pocket.

2. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Welcome to the forum :)

I don't really get it either. For the limited range of peripherals an iPad can support theres no realistic benefit to USB C other than, like you say, sharing a MacBook charger. On the other hand, the lightning connector is arguably better in that it doesn't have a nasty habit of becoming loose over time like a lot of USB C ports do.

3. whoisyourdaddy Suspended

Depends on the aspects of the connector, transfer speeds, compatibility with devices, etc. My opinion is it was used as another differentiating factor to get people to purchase "Pro" models which are already priced quite high. Cost for them to switch would have been negligible. This appears to me that it's greatly influenced by marketing product decisions. As opposed to, actual cost, engineering, or manufacturing.

4. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I can't say much about the others but definitely look at the iPad Mini. It looks bigger to little kids, too. ;)

5. mi7chy, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019

mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Apple would rather sell you three different devices than one integrated device. Apple needs to make something like this that integrates a 7.2" mini iPad, quasi Nintendo Switch and with pen input.

6. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

You can criticize the way it looks as much as you want, because in the end if someone wants a powerful, high-quality small tablet with a great display, the iPad mini 5 is really the only game in town. Had Apple changed the design, instead of the dated design you would now be criticizing the price which would probably be close to the iPhone XR pricing. Would there be a lot of people willing to pay $300 more for FaceID, ProMotion and Pencil 2 support? Probably not and it would probably disappear in a year due to poor sales.

7. JSRinUK macrumors member

JSRinUK

And too expensive for someone who already has an iPad mini. I'd love to get the iPad mini 5, but I ask myself what it is that my iPad mini 2 doesn't do that justifies spending £400? And I just don't have an answer.

I'd love to have TouchID, and pencil support, but for £400 plus the cost of the pencil? No, I'll make do without them - at least for now.

If it was £299, I'd probably buy. If it was less, I'd definitely buy. But it's not going to be - at least, not here in the UK.

8. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

Maybe Apple will come out with a mini version of the $799 iPad Pro 11”. It would obviously cost more than $399, since they’d have to design a new case incorporating FaceID, set up new assembly lines and all that. Maybe next year they could do it for $599. I’m pretty happy with an A12 powered iPad Mini with a TrueTone P3 display for $399. Glad I got my order in early, they’re backordered for weeks now.

9. Blue Hawk macrumors 6502

The german blogger Caschy from Stadt-Bremerhaven.de just confirmed that the Mini 5 has only 2GB of RAM. I hope the Air 3 will have at least 3 or I'm gonna cancel my order. My Air 2 is a mess with only 2 GB

10. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

11. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

It seems a bit absurd that Apple had a million or more iPad mini chassis hanging around and decided to re-engineer a new motherboard to sell them off. The iPad mini is a niche product but still a viable one. For you it's perfection or nothing. I try for a more balanced approach.

12. Blue Hawk macrumors 6502

13. UltimaKilo macrumors 6502

14. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

15. Joniz macrumors regular

I think the primary reason is that most of the people commenting on this site are technophiles who have recent Macs & such and have already invested in USB-C, not understanding that most of the general public (for which the Mini & Air seem to be targeting), still get by with USB-A & Lightning.

For them, having a USB-C iPad would be something of a pain. These are not made for hardcore workload like video & photography like the Pros are, which is while they call them “Pro.”

16. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

And you are way wrong on that. I own a Nintendo Switch and the software predominately is geared for young adults and not kids. In fact Nintendo has been getting away from kiddie games for quite some time, in fact that trend stopped with the Nintendo Wii, even Nintendo admitted that they wanted to expand to feature Teen and Mature style games. Nintendo has been leaning towards Teen and Mature games for at least the last 8 yrs. I should know because I owned a Nintendo Wii, Wii U and Nintendo Switch. Even the Nintendo 3DS is primarily teen based games as well. The Indie lineup for the Switch as well is predominately Teen and Adult with a light sprinkle of kiddie games.

17. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Wow, so reasonable. ;) My hope is that the revamped mini will take off a bit and the next one will be a Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2019 ---

I read, unfortunately, that they stayed with the mechanical button. A shame but Apple uses very good buttons, as a rule.

18. jacks64 macrumors member

jacks64

Not everybody hates bezels! Some prefer the classic design.It’s perfect for people who don’t need the Pro’s and want a compact device.

Not everybody has the same views as you!

19. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

I just heard back from a reviewer I reached out to, they said the same. That’s crazy! I wonder if they only swapped out the CPU and display, and left everything else the same on the assembly line. I’m looking forward to an iFixIt tear down.

20. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Price would have gone up a lot, maybe iPad mini 6 or 7 it will come once the price goes down for Face ID

21. jacks64 macrumors member

jacks64

So petty to complain about that.Most people won’t care or notice,especially with the Space Grey version with the black faceplate.

22. whoisyourdaddy Suspended

Not really. There are a few Android based devices which include USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to USB-A cables with them. The lightning physical connector is based on USB specifications for data transmission and charging. Your logic for having a physical lightning port because of other "users" doesn't make sense.

23. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

It's a valid complaint. People have complained about competitors' off centered side speaker grill that's not even visible from the top. Can we say double standards?

24. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

I agree, it’s a valid complaint. I’m spoiled by Apple always centering and aligning everything perfectly, and the iPad Mini button layout bugs me a bit. I mean, I ordered one the morning they were announced this week, but the button does bug me a little.

25. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

The action happens on the screen. I don’t get this obsession with bezels. Also don’t understand why you want to remove parts of the iPad you can hold without obscuring said display.