Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the iPad Pro was updated with the M4 chip and more today, the latest 11-inch and 13-inch models lack two features that are available on some previous models, including mmWave 5G support and an Ultra Wide camera.

iPad-Pro-M4-Silver-and-Space-Black-Feature-1.jpg

Apple's comparison page confirms that cellular configurations of the new iPad Pro models are limited to sub-6GHz bands for 5G. mmWave 5G was supported on the previous two iPad Pro generations, but in the U.S. only and never elsewhere.

Apple has yet to explain why it removed mmWave support from the iPad Pro. mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that can provide very fast speeds at short distances, which is ideal for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas.

The 10-megapixel Ultra Wide rear camera on the last three iPad Pro generations is also absent on the latest models, which only have a 12-megapixel Wide rear camera.

As we previously noted, cellular configurations of the latest iPad Pro and iPad Air models also lack a physical SIM card slot, making them eSIM-only devices.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Lacks mmWave 5G and Ultra-Wide Camera

FlyGuyDEN

macrumors regular
May 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I have the M2 iPad Pro and cannot recall ever seeing the 5G+ signal come up on it. I regularly use it on my WiFi 6E network at home and when at the airport I work out of there's barely any signal there as it is. I will take the OLED screen as a tradeoff.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Most people who would buy the iPad Pro also have an iPhone with an ultra wide camera. I don’t mind a couple of trade-offs to keep the price down for an iPad with an M4 and a nice OLED display. I would use it for scanning documents and it looks like it is well suited to that purpose, and apple even demo this in their presentation.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
I had two iPads with cellular back in the days. Over the course of ten years I have used cellular to insert my phone sim card only TWO times: it was iPhone 6s and its battery was faulty, it gave up on me when I had to make few calls.

Honestly now I would not consider cellular iPad at all since my new phone has great battery life. Anyway wifi is thousands times better than any cellular can ever be

captainjohnsmith

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2023
Super weird omission on the 5G. I don't really mind the ultrawide going away, it was a pretty dated sensor and I always felt students would be better served with an iPad Pro that could zoom in on whiteboards or other materials. I'm surprised these iPads don't have the 48 MP sensor to allow that.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
In my area I get 5G+ with AT&T and love using it with my M2 iPad Pro when I am out of the house away from my WiFi, so blazingly fast.

Also love the Ultra-wide Camera but obviously have that with my iPhone 15 Pro Max as well, but still nice to have it right in the M2 iPad Pro, plus the extra microphone.

:apple:

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Very weird that the cellular upcharge was $129 back in the OG iPad days and is now $200. It would seem the cost to add that functionality is minimal, maybe $50 for licensing fees. Hell, "Pro" Apple Watches (Stainless and Ultra) include cellular... you'd think the Pro iPads would too.

cdsapplefan

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2023
Apple gotta keep their margins so they gotta cut cost somewhere, plus they know everyone not gonna jump up and buy a $1000 iPad when they can just save that money for the iPhone 16 this fall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.