Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This is why. It just didn’t get much traction even in the US.
The very short range of mmWave is the reason why it never got traction. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon phased out their mmWave service in the next 3-4 years to save money, especially with the coming of even better mid-band 3GPP NR 6G by the late 2020's.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple's comparison page confirms that cellular configurations of the new iPad Pro models are limited to sub-6GHz bands for 5G. mmWave 5G was supported on the previous two iPad Pro generations, but in the U.S. only and never elsewhere.
Apple has yet to explain why it removed mmWave support from the iPad Pro. mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that can provide very fast speeds at short distances, which is ideal for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas.
Thats strange for them to offer this update without mmWave Cellular capability? :oops:

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I can understand why many don’t want the thin design, but if it then translates to weight, it is actually better. I developed a ganglion cyst in my wrist and fingers from holding the iPad three because it was so heavy. I suspect Apple knows that weight is a risk for people, and that is why they have tried to get it down so. But bending is a problem too. I wonder how they will eventually work this out.

Should be made of carbon fiber lol

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
I use the cameras on my iPad Pro M1 to take Spatial video for my VR headset using the SpatialCamera app. Works really nicely. Weird to remove a camera, IMHO.

Reactions: zapmymac

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The lack of mmWave cellular connectivity--no big loss. Especially with T-Mobile USA using the former Sprint frequencies with real 3GPP NR 5G mode and both AT&T and Verizon now using C-band for 5G.

But Macrumors comments have been saying mmWave means "REAL" 5G for years. So it should be a big deal.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
I just got an app that lets me film spatial video with my M1 Pro's 2 cameras. Kind of a shame I'll lose this. Guess I'll "need" the next iPhone now.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
With the rumours of the new iPhones moving the cameras to be in line for Spatial Video capture, I think it's really weird for them to be removing the 2nd camera on their top tier iPad. I mean I don't think I actually care since I would never use an iPad for video recording, but if you're paying these prices, you kinda expect to have all the best hardware for the time. I really think they should have slapped in the 15 Pro's 48MP primary and 12MP ultrawide, just for good measure. The 12MP main camera has the same specs, minus OIS, as the one in the iPhone SE (the 14 has a 12MP main with a f/1.5, 13 has f/1.6, and the SE has f/1.8 like the iPad Pro)!

ematerial

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
With the rumours of the new iPhones moving the cameras to be in line for Spatial Video capture, I think it's really weird for them to be removing the 2nd camera on their top tier iPad. I mean I don't think I actually care since I would never use an iPad for video recording, but if you're paying these prices, you kinda expect to have all the best hardware for the time. I really think they should have slapped in the 15 Pro's 48MP primary and 12MP ultrawide, just for good measure. The 12MP main camera has the same specs, minus OIS, as the one in the iPhone SE (the 14 has a 12MP main with a f/1.5, 13 has f/1.6, and the SE has f/1.8 like the iPad Pro)!
Does anyone know if ProRes LOG is supported on the new iPad Pros? Assume not since they didn't mention it.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
My biggest question around this isn’t cost or otherwise, it’s weighing this move vs all the marketing they have done to show people using it to make films. They’ve shown all kinds of gimbals and professional equipment hooked up to it, and have been pushing that for years. And now they remove a camera? Odd move. However, it seems they want you to use iPhones to capture with the new multi cam app and maybe that is their justification on this front.

Kiwidevdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
Ah well, Apple don’t support any mmWave in my country (Australia) that started deploying massive mmWave networks to have 4 devices launched:

2 netgear modems and 2 Google pixels (the old and the new one)

They’ve mostly paused the rollout from what I can see as nothing uses the network…

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Removing the ultra-wide camera on iPad kinda makes sense - of all the use cases for camera on iPad, ultra wide is the least essential to most uses.
Might have been something related to the arcane as well since Apple says it’s a 10 MP sensor, but when you take pictures with the Camera app it reports 12 MP. Apparently the exorcism was successful and it’s been removed, praise be!

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Are people blind? The Ultra Wide was replaced by a new, larger LiDAR Sensor, but what's the new black circle above the flash? The mic is under it, so....
IMG_2987.jpeg
Maybe it’s just there for decoration :)

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
only time the camera on the iPad was used was to scan a receipt, document. all other pictures looked horrible.
they also seemed to have removed a microphone.. old gen had 5 and this one only has 4.

Reactions: zapmymac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.