Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicvash

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Cost probably. Also if you actually have mmWave service in your area you get it on your phone, and Apple makes it incredibly easy to turn on the hotspot function.

kangyula

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2024
I don't get even these cameras neither from ergonomical or economical perspective. The bump makes it unstable on flat surfaces without a back cover, but the Magic Keyboard they sell for it is not detachable. And they should just thell to the 5% max people who need a better camera in an iPad to buy an iPhone and pay for iCloud, and save on the camera costs.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I used to always get a cellular iPad Pro… but i use it mostly at home where i have wifi. And when I’m on the go, i can just use my iPhone as a hotspot to surf the web on my ipad.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I used to always get a cellular iPad Pro… but i use it mostly at home where i have wifi. And when I’m on the go, i can just use my iPhone as a hotspot to surf the web on my ipad.
same here. I had a prior iPad Pro with cellular “just in case” but I never used it. So the new one is wifi only and I can tether to my phone as needed.

magicman32

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2007
Speaking to the mmWave omission; that’s no great loss. It’s a garbage technology that should be eradicated from existence in all mobile devices regardless. Completely and utterly useless.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I see the've removed one microphone so there's now 4 rather than 5 from the previous generation. I don't think that makes a difference. It's not always about adding numbers. What if the new microphones are better, and so you don't need the fifth?

They've just introduced Tandem OLED. What if the next model doesn't have two OLED layers because they managed to make a better screen with just one? You wouldn't complain about there being one fewer OLED layer, would you?

SRGM

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Ukraine
Now iPad Pro wouldn't be able to shoot 3D videos for Vision Pro! While iPhone 16 (non-Pro) will get its cameras aligned to shoot for Vision Pro.. And now iPad Air is heavier than Pro.. What the heck is "Pro" about now?

dreamcast

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2005
Henderson, Nevada
I love using my 5th generation IPad Pro with mini LED. I travel a lot and have the cellular data with T mobile and appreciate having mmwave staying in Downtown locations. Its especially fun on road trips using the IPad cellular.Too bad Apple skimped out on including this.

Last edited:

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
With apple it always comes down to supply chain issues and cost. The mmWave modems and ultra wide cameras were probably infringing on Timmy's profit margin. Most customers aren't diligent enough to compare the "Pro" model with similar technologies to see what they're not getting. They assume the Pro has it all, which it doesn't.

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Not surprised with the lack of mmWave. Though iPad cameras are not usually used to take photos, disappointing to see that the ultra wide camera has been removed.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Sounds like Apple removed a couple features to cut down on costs with the assumption that these features wouldn't really be missed.

I almost never use the ultra-wide on my iPhone, so I can't imagine using it on an iPad.
People use ultrawide all the time, especially for social media and younger people.

It doesn’t take much to figure why they omitted tele on entry level iphones and went with ultrawide instead - since majority of teenage population uses iphones and they generally don’t zoom in to vacation landmarks

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I see the've removed one microphone so there's now 4 rather than 5 from the previous generation. I don't think that makes a difference. It's not always about adding numbers. What if the new microphones are better, and so you don't need the fifth?

They've just introduced Tandem OLED. What if the next model doesn't have two OLED layers because they managed to make a better screen with just one? You wouldn't complain about there being one fewer OLED layer, would you?
That’s not how microphones work. Even if they are better, noise reduction works by having some spatial information. Having more microphones makes it easier to gather more spatial info.

Having microphone with wider pickup pattern doesn’t do anything either - it’s better to have more narrower microphones

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I don’t know why folks are hating on mmWave. I know it’s not common, but the speeds you can get in the Italian market in philly are nothing to sneeze at, and you can tell by how fast things load. There’s a couple spots near me (unfortunately not my house or office) and when it pops up it’s usually distinguishably faster.

virbing

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Pretty sure mmWave is owned by Qualcomm. Considering Apple has developed their own cellular chip and has had a lot of legal problems with Qualcomm, not surprised they dropped it.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
is it true that mmWave tech has been discontinued and no longer supported in US. I know it has never been a thing worldwide.

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
Honestly I love Verizon’s MmWave speed, this was a deal breaker for me to get the WiFi version only now
Typical Verizon, chasing niche technology that no one wants to pay for the extra hardware to support. That’s what happens when you ignore your network for years.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
insane rationalization. 🤣 You Apple apologists are something else, I swear... Do you have a seat on their board or something? You can still be an Apple fan and call out bull**** like this.
Oh the drama, plus the inane hate that users have different priorities

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
The very short range of mmWave is the reason why it never got traction. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon phased out their mmWave service in the next 3-4 years to save money, especially with the coming of even better mid-band 3GPP NR 6G by the late 2020's.
Perhaps because tech advances, however a minute of research shows Verizon spending big bucks expanding mm5g footprint.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Perhaps because tech advances, however a minute of research shows Verizon spending big bucks expanding mm5g footprint.
mmWave 5G will likely be limited to places like sporting venues, where the very short range of mmWave is less of an issue. For longer distances, the upcoming 6G standard comimg by 2030 may offer most of the speed benefits of mmWave 5G but using standard mid-band frequencies now use by digital cellular service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.