Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Cost probably. Also if you actually have mmWave service in your area you get it on your phone, and Apple makes it incredibly easy to turn on the hotspot function.
The ultra-wide lens appears to be the tallest on the iPhone, so I’d imagine it has something to do with getting the iPad that thin, too.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
mmWave 5G will likely be limited to places like sporting venues, where the very short range of mmWave is less of an issue. For longer distances, the upcoming 6G standard comimg by 2030 may offer most of the speed benefits of mmWave 5G but using standard mid-band frequencies now use by digital cellular service.
In the Pacific NorthWest, 5G+ on AT&T appears to be a LOT of places, certainly more than just in stadiums. I don’t know if that’s their mmWave, though, their website isn’t clear.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
mmWave 5G will likely be limited to places like sporting venues, where the very short range of mmWave is less of an issue. For longer distances, the upcoming 6G standard comimg by 2030 may offer most of the speed benefits of mmWave 5G but using standard mid-band frequencies now use by digital cellular service.
Odd then Verizon push on mm5g is in rural and small towns. What you posted has been the party line on mm5g even from Verizon early on.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
That's exactly why I never get cellular iPads. They were a novelty a decade ago, but ever since Apple made Personal Hotspot so seamless across devices there's no need for cellular on an iPad except in very limited use cases.
The only reason for me to get cellular is for the GPS which I do like a lot. With the increase in price, I'm likely going to drop the cellular option if I ever upgrade my iPad.

magicvash

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Rather stay with older slower model? 🤔
I have a 2018 iPad Pro and have yet to encounter a scenario where I’ve said “gosh I wish this iPad were faster”

Maybe Apple will surprise me and iPadOS 18 will take advantage of the speeds of the M series and make it worthwhile to upgrade.

Maybe Lucy will actually let Charlie Brown kick the football.

jha

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2021
M4 iPad here with mmWave.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 36
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.