new iPhone 4S has numerous cosmetic defects

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nuarva, Nov 7, 2011.

1. nuarva macrumors newbie

the new iPhone 4S which i bought has numerous cosmetic defects. Fortunately all the hardware is working well currently. Am I too fussy? but hey, this is the first phone which I own that has so many cosmetic defects, even on the supposedly scratch-resistant gorilla glass, so how did the scratches come about? I'm not able to get a new set for exchange as the telco in my country only provides refurbished set for exchange, strictly no new set for exchange. :mad:

(1) tiny scratches on on/off button (see 2 photos below)
    (2) long deep scratch on home button and a slight chip on home button (see photo below)
    (3) tiny scratch on steel frame at corner of speaker near to screw.
    (4) Scratch on glass back cover. No photo as I'm unable to capture it despite trying various angles and different lighting) More visible under my yellow light Ikea work lamp and less visible under normal daylight or florescent light.
    (5) Scratch on gorilla glass on front screen (at the white portion near home button). No photo as I'm unable to capture it despite trying various angles and different lighting). Scratch is more visible under my yellow light Ikea work lamp and less visible under normal daylight or florescent light.

Attached Files:

2. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

3. nuarva thread starter macrumors newbie

so the screen and back cover got scratched during manufacturing or assembly in the factory? all other scratches also caused during manufacturing or assembly in the factory? :mad: that's terrible. I'm paying so much for this kind of poor quality. The only consolation is all the hardware is working well currently.

4. b24pgg, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4S does not have Gorilla Glass.

The iPhone 4 and 4S use glass from Lens Technology International, not Corning. This was the supplier responsible for the white iPhone 4 delay.

5. StructAural macrumors regular

6. asen89 macrumors newbie

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

8. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Now that you have spent so much of your time doing microscopic quality control and taking photographs I would suggest that you spend at least as much of your day trying to get the phone replaced and I would go to a least 5 dealers to make sure you get the best deal possible... That way you can maximize your carbon footprint and spend your time on something of true value...

(Okay sorry I couldn't resist some sarcasm - but really! Are you serious?)

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

That list doesn't have the final say as whether or not a product has Gorilla Glass. There are products out there that have GG but aren't on the list.

OP if you aren't happy try to get it exchange but it has to be said, those are really minute defects.

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

11. Merkie, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't know why everyone is responding so sarcastic, but the cosmetic defects are pretty easy to see. I'd take it back.

12. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why everyone's so rude. There are several threads about these cosmetic defects so why single the OP out? If you spent your hard-earned money on such an expensive device, wouldn't you expect it to be perfect? You should take it back and demand a refund.

13. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Sadly rudeness in these forums is becoming the norm. We should remember that we're here because we have a shared interest in Apple products.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I'm wondering what proof OP has that these are manufacturing issues and not just their poor care of their device?

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

These forums are responsible for the return of thousands of Apple devices with such small defects that they do not even show up in an image.

My local Apple store already has refurbs.

I hope the Apple people tell the OP to get over it!:mad:

16. nuarva thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the defects may seem minute defects. I can accept 1 or 2 minute defects but these seem to be all over the phone - at the top on/off button, at the bottom speaker, most terrible at the home buttom where there are 2 defects, and lastly at both the front screen and back cover. :mad:

considering the price I paid for this phone (this is the most expensive phone i've ever purchased with my hard-earned money), this is not acceptable to me :mad:

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The more people return the tighter Apple will clamp down on QC. ;)

18. nmork macrumors regular

It might.

19. tl01 macrumors 65816

Honestly, the scratches on the steel especially be the speaker and going to happen when you plug it in. I can't imagine returning for the reasons you listed. I didn't check my phone that carefully when I got it. I figure at some point I'll need a different one anyway so being crazy picky today won't make much difference. That said, you answered your own question when you said it isn't acceptable you.

20. nuarva thread starter macrumors newbie

my "some point when i'll need a different phone" is 2 years down the road when my newly signed contract with telco finished. I can't afford to get a no-contract phone.

the frustrating thing is I can't get a new set in exchange from my telco since it has a strict refurbished-set-for-exchange-only policy, regardless of whatever software or hardware problems the phone has, even if the phone is only 1 day old.

21. miragebg macrumors 6502a

I can say- welcome to the club!!:)
    Two tiny scratches on the display itself under the glass and a tiny spec of dust just straight out of the box. Bought it on the launch day and this was my second replacement same day- first unit had dead pixel, scratches on the band and terrible uneven backlight.
    This one is perfect as a screen and hardware- that is why I don't want to take a risk of taking it back and get some refurb with even more or more serious hardware/display problems. I am just learning to live with.

22. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The phone will show minor damage over time anyway. The screen will show scratches on it unless you have a protector on it. As someone said, it's not scratch proof.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

24. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Right but it shouldn't be like this right out of the box. Take that sucka back!

25. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I'm not sure how many of you have read the Steve Jobs book, but it clearly states the iPhone has gorilla glass.