New iPods Are The First Sign Of Serious Trouble At Apple

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lynn Belvedere, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

First of all, they are very ugly, very garish, and very "un-Apple-like". The touch and nano look like Sony products, if anything.

Secondly, a wrist-strap? Seriously?

Thirdly, a $299 entry level model? That's the same price as the 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD. I've heard of the Apple tax, but this is ridiculous.

Overall, the release of these products at these prices speaks to what may be a very disappointing future for Apple. We all knew they would lose their magic one day, but it seems that day has come already.

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Or maybe it was just the lack of Steve's reality distortion field that has made you feel like this...

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

This is what I feel about your post.

What are you complaining about again?

4. Lynn Belvedere thread starter macrumors regular

You can read the original post again, if you like.

5. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

How do you figure, exactly?

Sure, the kindle has its market ...but Apple has iTunes/App Store. Last year I picked up a 64GB 4S, thinking it would be my cherished all in one device ... And it was! But it required a (ugly) battery case. The truth is, no matter how much technology improves, battery tech will always be lagging behind; enter 5th gen iPod touch.

It's an iPhone 5 without all the battery destroying components. No A6/LTE allows the device 40 hours of music playback. Sure, it's a pricey alternative to a battery case .. But you know for a fact you all would have whined if the iPhone 5 didn't have 1GB RAM/LTE. Plus, the touch is .6mm thick, weighs 88 grams and most importantly comes in colors.

Since most people already bought the 4S on contract and with the holidays around the corner, I'd be willing to bet that you are not only wrong, but this touch will be the best selling touch of all time. "But the amazon fire is the same price!" Can't fit it in your pocket, no access to App Store/iTunes, probably runs slower than the touch.

6. 617aircav Suspended

The iPod touch is a big improvement of over the last two. It finally has a usable camera. Ugly is subjective, and as long as it works why care.

7. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I'd be happy to take all your apple products off your hands if you think apple has lost it. :)

Attached Files:

8. 617aircav Suspended

They never had magic.

9. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

The round icons on the nano definitely break the Apple convention. It looks inconsistent and they should have kept the form factor the way it was. I own 3 of the nano prior to this model that I have TikTok & LunaTik bands that I wear em on and had they put bluetooth in the smaller nano. Gave you some Apple-Branded wrist wearing options it would have been a great little info device to link with the iPhone. Now you got 2 things in your pocket actually one because why buy it now? Changing it was just being mean. Thanks Apple.

10. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

We unfortunately don't know of they are or are not working on the next gen watch. I'd think with all of this negative backlash against the new nanos, it's highly likely we see an iWatch with iOS 7.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Really, apple making a watch because?

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I've not actually seen an iPod Touch fifth gen in real time, but the Internet photos look pretty darn good to me - the white and black models are quite elegant.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I find nothing negative about the new Touch. I've preordered my own, to compliment my iPad, and will most likely order three more for holiday gifts.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Who cares...

I'm not sure why some people are all concerned unless they have Apple stock, are shorting Apple stock, or they work for Apple. Apple is just another business who's goal is to make money. If you don't like the products, don't buy them. Don't people have enough things to worry about in the world today ?

14. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I remember reading somewhere that Apple was developing a wearable computer some while ago.... Hoping that they will bring the watch back!

Back on the topic, again, I remember reading posts like 'iPhone 4 design: End of Apple' or something like that two years ago. I'm sure Apple will still sell millions of iPods and ppl will start liking them.

15. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The fat nano a few generations ago was ugly. The new touch and nano look pretty good to me.

16. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I bought a 4s outright and can see little reason to change it for a 5. Lovely little phone but the screen is a bit small for any sort of text reading. The bigger screen should be a little easier for that.

However the new touch really appeals and I will probably get one. Basically it's a 5 without the phone bits which suits me fine.

17. Mac-Mac-McAfee macrumors member

Can't speak to the 'wrist-strap' but I think the new Nano's look fantastic. If I didn't already have a great iPod on my iPhone I'd be all over it.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I think all the new iPods & iPhone look great.

19. theGrayWorks macrumors newbie

I like the wrist strap. I didn't even realize I wanted one on the iPod but Apple knew I did. :D

20. iEvolution macrumors 65816

iPods went from the highest profit for Apple to being the lowest, even if they fail on the iPod line they still have a wildly successful iPad and most importantly the iPhone...which by the way is on its way to break sale records for the iPhone yet again.

It is a sign of nothing and quite frankly the slate and silver iPod Touch looks good this year as does the processor upgrade (probably ram too).

21. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Same as the iPhone 5 then! :D

read the specs.

22. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

It's not the same, but touch 5 is so much closer to iPhone spec-wise than previous models were. iPod touch 5gen is basically fusion of iPhone 4S and iPhone5. It's got most specs from iPhone 4S (processor, ram, camera), and some specs from iPhone 5 (IPS 4" screen, aluminium body), yet it retains very slim and compact form factor of the iPod touch lineup. It's the best iPod touch since original iPod touch 1gen.

23. gursis11 macrumors member

Looks better than the iPhone 5!

It is definitely the best-looking touch yet, but everyone has a different view on what good-looking is. It looks like they gave more attention to the iPod touch than the iPhone 5, sure the iPhone got a bit taller and the A6, but its the iPod where its happening this year. 5th generation to the 4th generation is a much larger update than the 5 is to 4S.

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

25. 617aircav Suspended