New iPods Released (20GB and 40GB)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has released two new iPods at 20GB and 40GB sizes, replacing the 15GB and 30GB:

20GB iPod
$399

40GB iPod
$499

Apple has updated their website with the new models and a new advertising campaign for the new iPods.

Photos of the new iPod Ad Campaign were also posted on ChaosMint over the weekend.

More News/Rumors at: MacRumors.com

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
awww, I just submitted this. What a fun Monday morning! I can't wait though to see what might be in store for next tuesday!

Still holding out for a backlit keyboard on a 15' PB. ;)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sweet.... Now the sizes I want are starting to come into the price range I'm looking for. I'd still rather have seen 'book updates though.

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Damn there is the slim 20GB that was rumoured so long ago. Now all I have is the POS 30GB....... :p I am so kidding by the way, but what does this mean for replacements if my 30GB dies?

Mike

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Luck of the update....

I ordered a 15 GB iPod last Thursday and just received an email from the Apple Store that my order has been upgraded to the 20 GB model just announced at no additional cost!

The luck of the update.

I also have a PB 12" on that order... wonder if I will be doubly blessed?

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I hope so for your sake.

Dear Santa,
I've been a pretty good fella this past little while. How about an iPod?

Actually, I just made a bet with my wife that, if I can lose 10 kg by X-mas, she has to buy me an iPod. I think I'll go dump out the rest of this quart of beer I just opened. ;)

Squire

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Luck of the update....

Originally posted by AllenPSU
I ordered a 15 GB iPod last Thursday and just received an email from the Apple Store that my order has been upgraded to the 20 GB model just announced at no additional cost!
that rocks. good to see they're doing something in a timely fashion. i wish i knew why they are dragging their feet on the powerbooks...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
dang. where did this come from!? it's not even tuesday!!

good to get updates, though... :D

[pure speculation]
were these two updates announced on a monday instead of the "traditional" tuesday since there'll be something coming up next tuesday..?? to give the new imacs and ipods at least a week at the front page of the apple site..? hmm...
[/pure speculation]

gola

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2003
bergen, norway
no audio in.......

New ipods, yes, but no audio in recording device.... this is a sad day. Who cares about the 10000 tracks, I am quite happy with 7500, as long as get the possibility of recording. I guess I have to sell my ipod and buy a phillips HDD100....

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Question: This is just the same G4 that used to be in the PowerMac, right?

Man, after reading Tazo's post I'm starting to feel that my iMac IS a little weak. 160 gigs would be sweeet.

Squire

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Squire
Question: This is just the same G4 that used to be in the PowerMac, right?

Man, after reading Tazo's post I'm starting to feel that my iMac IS a little weak. 160 gigs would be sweeet.

Squire
LOL i know what you mean...my external 60 is starting to get cramped lol :D

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
BOOOOO.

They should have moved the 10 GB to $199 and kept the 30 GB.

Then the pricing could be

10=199
20=299
30=399
40=499

Oh well... guess I'll stick with my 5er for a while.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Re: no audio in.......

Originally posted by gola
New ipods, yes, but no audio in recording device.... this is a sad day
Cheer up ;) Recording is just software so they can add it as an update whenever they like to all the existing 3G iPods.

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
Has anything else been updated/ any new features or is it just an increase in storage?

I think this might be as big as they will get. 10000 songs! :eek:
Does anyone actually have that much music?

In my opinion they still need a cheaper base model.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I think apple was just waiting for me to get the 15 so they could make it 20. Rrrg. :rolleyes:

Oh well - it's hard to see things coming when you can't see them coming. :)

richie

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm, I like the bigger HDs, I like the new advertising, looks like I may be upgrading from my 'old school' 1st Gen 5gigger! :)

On a sidenote, it's interesting that AsTheAppleTurns has such good sources, they always seem to be pulling these accurate predictions out of nowhere, when they do deign to dabble in the rumor black arts. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.