Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i figured with the new updated ipod, they'd have to lower the prices of the refurbs... only 2nd gen. 10 GB is available but it's $170! that's absolutely the lowest price you can find for an ipod that's practically brand new... no?

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
I completely agree with NaveIntel. They should have a low cost model, they couldn't keep it on the shelves. From what I've heard Apple makes more than 50% mark up on iPods (though they might not on the $199 10 GB), it's not like they couldn't afford to do it while accelerating market share. Sadly this is Apple/Jobs, all mark-up all the time, often at the explense (pardon the pun) of gaining market share.

JoeCanadian

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2002
I just bought a 15GB from the Aspen Grove store two weeks ago

sniff, sniff. I just bought a 15GB from the Aspen Grove CO store two weeks ago. I almost bought the bigger one, but it was a bit too much for me. I'm glad the upgrade was capacity only!

AllenPSU

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
USA
Re: Re: Luck of the update....

Originally posted by shadowfax
that rocks. good to see they're doing something in a timely fashion. i wish i knew why they are dragging their feet on the powerbooks...

Me too. I had been waiting to buy a PB for over 3 months and finally had to jump in regardless of the updates. Apple is still showing a shipping date of NLT 9/18/03 on my PB 12" 60/640/AE... I may still get lucky but to be honest, I will be happy with what ever I get.

The 12" has come down $200 since release and the $200 education discount is awesome.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
What was the old pricing?

This is good...I suppose, but I agree that a cheaper base model (or hell, just reducing the current models) is really in order, the iPod used to have 48% of the MP3 player market, but it's dropping :(

AppleMatt

jer2665

macrumors regular
i'm going to try to do my best to not swear or curse out apple on here, (i get yelled at for that enough in #macrumors but this is freaking ridiculous. I just recently bought a 30 gig, that i think i paid $499 for, now an extra 10 gig for the same price? that settles it, im going to wait a week after everyone gets their dual g5's and see them magically have dual 10ghz g5's for about $1000 less.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Cool. Nice to see that both the iMac and iPods were updated...but why an update with the iPods so soon? But on a very good note, Apple is selling iPods quite cheaply under their special deals section (at leas the U.S. site). $169 for an iPod? I'm now VERY tempted to get one. :)

jer2665

macrumors regular
actually, i just bought this thing at best buy, and got the extended service plan (homer: extended service plan how can I lose?) i'm going to wait till they get rid of all 30gigs, and whip this one at a wall, hrm, gotta read more into their warranty thing to see the best way to go about this. I know they have a really loose warranty on those things, so i wonder if that'll work., anyone know?

NoPrideELF

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Jersey
Hmm, now what to do when I get my new 15' (whenever that is). I'll need an enormous hard drive if the first 40 gigs are already reserved for the ipod I get with it. What do you think the hard drive on the new pb's will be? same 60 just doesn't seem like enough anymore. Can they cram any more into it?

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Re: Re: no audio in.......

Originally posted by backspinner
Cheer up ;) Recording is just software so they can add it as an update whenever they like to all the existing 3G iPods.

Ummm. You might still need a microphone. I don't see one on my iPod.

The new size is pretty cool, though, esp. now that you can use Backup with the iPod. An MP3 player AND backup drive. Wonder when they'll add color and .jpg support so we can show pictures? Grandparents love that stuff.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Backup Support

Originally posted by NoPrideELF
Hmm, now what to do when I get my new 15' (whenever that is). I'll need an enormous hard drive if the first 40 gigs are already reserved for the ipod I get with it. What do you think the hard drive on the new pb's will be? same 60 just doesn't seem like enough anymore. Can they cram any more into it?

I don't know but they just released a public beta of "Backup" in .Mac that has iPod and other 3rd party HD support.

The 40 gigs would be useful, even without 10,000 tunes.

Squire

ozlow

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
pacific NW
re...is the 40 gb still thicker

Originally posted by adamfilip
is the 40gb still thicker then the 20 and 10?

the 30gb was thicker (just slightly) then the 15

Why don't you go to the Apple Store and check? Yes, it is still a tiny bit bigger.

~oZ

devotchka

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
Constant State of Misery
Originally posted by jer2665
actually, i just bought this thing at best buy, and got the extended service plan (homer: extended service plan how can I lose?) i'm going to wait till they get rid of all 30gigs, and whip this one at a wall, hrm, gotta read more into their warranty thing to see the best way to go about this. I know they have a really loose warranty on those things, so i wonder if that'll work., anyone know?

my mother got a gamecube from bestbuy and the extended warranty for my bro - when he wanted a different color she took it back; when he broke the controller she took it back; and when the warranty was about to expire she took it back.

im sure the people at bestbuy now hate my mother... maybe i should get her to call apple and trade in my new 15g iPod for the 20g.

iRiKliAN

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2003
40GB Ipod !!!

10,000 songs!!!

Chances are anyone with enough music to fill a 40GB Ipod has not paid $10,000+, and has illegally downloaded the good majority of them. Correct?

So it would be safe to assume the RIAA would be on there arse? :eek:

Maybe Apple is inadvertantly encouraging piracy? :confused:

Niall

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
i just got my 15Gb delivered today.Not very happy now.New pricing in Ireland too..
I paid: 15Gb = €461.01
Now: 20Gb = €415.03.
Should i try and send it back;seeing as i had to wait 2 weeks to get it shipped in the first place.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by iRiKliAN
Maybe Apple is inadvertantly encouraging piracy? :confused:

Maybe gun manufactures are inadvertently encouraging murder.

Even on 128Kb encoding, if I could be bothered, my CD's would fill a 40GB iPod a few times. Luckily I can't be bothered.

AppleMatt

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Re: no audio in.......

Originally posted by gola
New ipods, yes, but no audio in recording device.... this is a sad day. Who cares about the 10000 tracks, I am quite happy with 7500, as long as get the possibility of recording. I guess I have to sell my ipod and buy a phillips HDD100....
Um, dude, you need to get out more often.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
advancing technology is a fact of life... so let's stick to :( instead of :mad: .

no matter when things are upgraded, someone will be screwed with the timing. sorry for those who bought "old" ones just a while ago, but it still doesn't take anything away from your own machine...

enjoy.

pdickins

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2003
"40GB Ipod !!!

10,000 songs!!!

Chances are anyone with enough music to fill a 40GB Ipod has not paid $10,000+, and has illegally downloaded the good majority of them. Correct?

So it would be safe to assume the RIAA would be on there arse?

Maybe Apple is inadvertantly encouraging piracy? "

I've got an original 10 gig and have 48 gigs of mp3/aac's (encoded at 128 kbps) on my Blueberry iMac's HD - I've just got to the letter R in ripping my CD's. I do have a couple of albums that I've downloaded but 99% of my mp3's are ripped from my own CD's. I'll think about upgrading my 10 gig when the iPod's are 80 gig+ (probably this time next year) - nice to see them almost getting there.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
The arts teacher just bought a new 10 gb iPod and a Powermac through the phone, through the education pricing. She hasn't received anything...but the price for the 10gb dropped...will it drop for her, even though she placed the order before the price dropped?

Armsreach

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003

Not entirely true. I've been collecting music for about 20 years, have three rooms in my apartment devoted to my vinyl collection and have about 2/3 of that collection converted to mp3/AAC. That's not even counting the music I've ripped from my CD collection and promotional material I recieve at the radio station.

My mp3 library is about 109gigs of my 120GB music drive. Sadly I've probably spent much more than $10,000 on the music I've purchased in my life. Oh, the G5's I could buy with my music collection being a figment of my imagination. :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by iEric
The arts teacher just bought a new 10 gb iPod and a Powermac through the phone, through the education pricing. She hasn't received anything...but the price for the 10gb dropped...will it drop for her, even though she placed the order before the price dropped?

price for the 10 gb hasn't dropped. it was $299 before as it is now.

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
40GB Ipod !!!

10,000 songs!!!

Maybe not. I was giving the guy in the cube next to me a hard time about carrying notebooks full of CDs in each day. I told him to just get an iPod or something like it. He then told me that he had about 1200 CDs (my ~360 took up about 18gig so he'd probably need about 60gig). Now I give him a hard time that he could have bought a new car, funded his kid's college fund, etc. instead of buying 1200 CDs. He might be able to fit it on one of the bigger creative labs, but he wouldn't have any room to grow. He wants to go that way eventually but he's looking for at least 80gig before he even thinks about it.

Additionally the extra capacity might not be about music, it makes a nice small portable drive. At 40gig you've got room for a little over 3 hours of DV video, lots of room for textures, and large 3D files, etc, whatever you want to tote around.

jer2665

macrumors regular
40GB Ipod !!!

I gotta say you're probably right, the RIAA WILL be a pain in the arse, it's just what they do. but i too can easily fill the 40gigs up by ripping my cds, so not necessarily piracy, but i think that they will be scanning the p2p networks even more now, because ipods are still getting more and more common,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.