New 'Lockdown' Firewall App Lets You Block Any Connection to Any Domain for Privacy Protection

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Lockdown, a new app launching today, is designed to be an open source firewall, letting users block any connection to any domain, including those that use ad tracking services and analytics platforms to monitor device usage.

Lockdown is free to download and use, and because it operates on device, it collects no user data. Lockdown uses Apple's VPN setup to function, though it is not a VPN and will not obscure your own IP address.

[​IMG]

Using Lockdown, you can block any domain, including those from companies like Facebook, and the app comes with a pre-set list of recommended domains to block to prevent tracking. Facebook tracking and other analytics tracking options from companies like Google, Mixpanel, and more are automatically blocked upon installing the app, and you can add your own custom lists too.

In addition to preventing unwanted tracking, the Lockdown app promises faster browsing speeds because unwanted connections are blocked, saving loading time.

Lockdown comes from the team behind Duet Display, and in the future, the app will offer a paid option that includes VPN functionality. Lockdown's developers are hoping that the launch of the app will incentivize developers to use more privacy-focused analytics frameworks and app discovery methods that rely less on trackers from major companies like Google and Facebook.

Lockdown can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New 'Lockdown' Firewall App Lets You Block Any Connection to Any Domain for Privacy Protection

2. Packdude macrumors member

Packdude

3. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

4. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Can you run it in tandem with another VPN app?

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Not the same thing. Firefox cannot block analytics and tracking SDKs that are embedded in many apps. This can.

6. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

This is probably the most important news I’ll read today.

7. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

I wish there was a mobile version of Little Snitch. Lockdown is kinda close to what LS does.

8. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

The setting to block Facebook domains doesn’t seem to stick for me.

9. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I saw that AdGuard updated as well. I wonder if Apple has loosened their restrictions on this type of ad blocker?

I have AdGuard for when mobile and pi hole for home.

10. Pafoofnik macrumors member

Pafoofnik

I blocked The Facebook beta and Email Opens and now both appear as being Blocked and Unblocked!

image.png

11. picaman macrumors regular

picaman

This. Can I use Lockdown at the same time as 1.1.1.1 which also uses the VPN function?

12. rahulda1 macrumors member

Will fix this in the next version! Sorry about that, always a couple bugs on launch day :)

13. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502a

Would like to know this as well, useless unless I can use it in parallel with a VPN.

14. Pafoofnik macrumors member

Pafoofnik

I write code. My career has been sustained by fixing the very bugs I myself created. Thanks for the quick reply; at least someone is listening!

15. SoundJudgment macrumors regular

SoundJudgment

Be VERY sure you are downloading the actual application here, namely: " Lockdown Apps. "
    Once more, there are many copy-cat applications that look the same as this program. Lockdown Apps is free and will not ask you for any monies, until they release a paid version (with VPN) in the App Store.

16. gazzrenn macrumors 6502a

gazzrenn

This happened to me too. I was still able to reach Facebook. I tried to do a screen recording to show it happening to report a bug and it started working. All I did differently was to go into the 'unblocked' one again and turn it on. Clicked save and the display was the same (blocked and unblocked both shown). I went to Facebook.com which failed.

So it's working...? (Beta)

17. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Obviously not. You can’t have two active VPN connections at the same time. The lockdown app will install a VPN profile just like a regular VPN app but just won’t mask your IP or route traffic through their servers.

18. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

Wait. I use CloudFlare's DNS. Does that mean I've been using a VPN all the time??? (I don't like using private VPNs by the way).

19. autrefois macrumors 65816

autrefois

Thanks for the answer (although considering that several people asked I wouldn’t say it was “obvious”...) It’s too bad that people will have to choose since both can be important for privacy.

20. DotCom2 macrumors 601

Thank you for posting this. I almost downloaded the wrong one! GAH, there really are so many. CONFUSING!

21. jimmren macrumors newbie

jimmren

I have turned on the recommended lists and added google, twitter, instagram and snapchat to my blocked list.
    I do not know which one or if multiple blockers are doing this, but it breaks Apple News app.

22. rjp1 macrumors regular

This will be great for blocking in app ads and tracking.

I already do this by using a DNS server that handles all this junk. Some apps will intentionally stop working if you block the ads/trackers. I just delete those apps and find an alternative.

The most common domains I’ve seen that break apps are:

graph.facebook.com
    star.c10r.facebook.com

23. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

If I chose to use this app without the paid VPN service, does this mean my internet traffic (my information) won't be monitored at all by the developer?

I mean we all know we trade in our privacy when we pass our connection through a VPN and the private company can monitor our connection. I'd like to know if my connection (and the data packages of each app) is going to be monitored by any means, like they are when passing through a VPN, or the firewall works totally on device.

Thank you.

24. Rigby macrumors 601

According to the privacy policy everything currently stays on the device. If you are a programmer you could theoretically check the source code to verify this. The reason for using a VPN profile is that this is currently the only way for apps to influence the network traffic for the entire device.

25. rahulda1 macrumors member

We will never monitor or sell your Internet traffic (Lockdown is an on-device firewall, so the data never leaves your device). Since the free version has no server cost or marginal cost per user, we believe that part of the product should be free.