Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I'd love to see a smaller iPhone that was maybe 30% the size of the Max, that you could take with you when you run, swim, bike or keep in your pocket. It would share the line of your larger "work" phone whereas shutting down the larger phone would make the smaller phone accessible and vice versa.

Sometimes I just want a small phone without all the bells and whistles

Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see an iPhone SE Mini. I think the mini size makes more sense for a so-called entry level than for a flagship phone. Probably those who don't care about all the bells and whistles don't care much about screen size either. At least, make it a choice.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
No disrespect, but do you understand the point of the SE to begin with? It’s Apple’s ‘lower budget entry’ model meant to be more affordable, distinguished away from the more expensive/‘Pro’ iPhones in September.

So, by redesigning an iPhone, would just change the cost that would reflect to the consumer. By reusing the same chassis/components, saves money, which allows Apple to likely retain a similar price point to what we’ve seen before.

I think we basically all do understand the point of the SE to begin with. Your argument makes sense... to some extend.

First, if Apple's lower budget entry model is only about recycling the most affordable components, why would they put the A15 inside. Why not the A14 then? Clearly, that shows it's not only about the cost.

Second, as regards the design. We could definitely make the argument that the current design based on 7-year-old phone is more than enough, even for a budget entry model. Otherwise, what's the path here? Waiting for a radical change of design in the flagship lineup in X years to finally use the current iPhone 12/13 design in the next SE?

Again, I - and others- understand your point, but the design change is more than long overdue event for a budget entry model imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.